Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Axe and Saw
  • dyna-ti

It’s that time of the year, and coupled with being stuck in for so long(Not being a solo athlete) has given the seasonal camping threads a fair old boost. We’ve had;

Ye Gads, what tent do I need ?.
    Ye Gads, what sleeping bag do I need ?.
    Ye Gads, what stove do I need ?.
    Ye Gads, what rucksack do I need.

And all of this is very well and good, and you’ve arrived and the weather is fine, theres nobody much about(if any) Tent up, kit rolled out and a hot meal digesting as the sun sinks lower.

Who wants to go to bed then ?, best time of it and so much quieter, always made better by the crackle of an open fire. A focal point even if you are miles from anyone or anywhere, you’re never alone with a campfire.

Wood is usually plentiful, if you’ve chosen that spot wisely, and while obviously not available at every place you go, having the ability to cut small branches and kindling will mean the difference between a campfire or no camp fire.

I’ve a number of small axes, all suitable to carry camping and all very useful.
    But can be a heavy rigid lump of steel and wood, and if you are on the bike only, thats just too much to carry. Plus even professionals have accidents, and a small axe mistimed can put you in the position of being injured, but unable to find help quickly.

So I like a small folding saw. Preference is a company called Silky. They do the job well and take up little room, and theres less chance of injury.
    Afterall, its not trees you’re trying to cut down, just make use of windblown and discarded timber.

slowoldman

You’d be popular around Bamford at the moment.

ElShalimo

Pennines are tinderbox-like right now

Houns

Yeah you’re right, you’re never alone with a campfire as if you’re stupid enough to light one at the moment you’ll have a few fire crews joining you.

Everywhere is tinder dry at the moment. Don’t be a dick

dyna-ti

eah you’re right, you’re never alone with a campfire as if you’re stupid enough to light one at the moment you’ll have a few fire crews joining you.

Everywhere is tinder dry at the moment. Don’t be a dick

Try not to judge me by your standards buddy. I’m in Scotland anyway its normal here, but besides where I am, having a SMALL fire is perfectly normal. All that is required is a little common sense.
    I’ve been wild camping for 40 fking years and I’ve yet to set the hillside aablaze.
    But thanks for your concern.

slowol

Bahco laplander is the beastie. Bought mine for pruning trees in the garden. Very good, fast, clean cuts, fits in a pocket for the bits where you have to climb the tree first and isn’t very heavy.

N.B. never used mine beyond the garden but they sell them on all the survival websites as well as garden tool ones.

Smaller than that Swiss army knife?

ElShalimo

I’ve been wild camping for 40 fking years and I’ve yet to set the hillside aablaze.

Amateur!!!

😉

CountZero

Opinel folding saw. Neat pocket sized saw with a very sharp blade!

Plus even professionals have accidents, and a small axe mistimed can put you in the position of being injured, but unable to find help quickly.

True, but the last time I was camping in south Devon and using a little wood-fired stove, the most damage I did was slicing right down the side of my left thumbnail, with a Opinel pocket knife! I know better than to hold a piece of timber while trying to chop it with a very sharp axe, a couple of light taps to get the wood held on the blade, then a hard tap on the chopping block. Sorted.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Cutting branches off living trees is a twatty thing to do.

No campfire is the only choice unless you’re somewhere with fire pits. Its not your land to mark up with shitty black circles for everyone else to see.

NewRetroTom

If you must have a campfire make sure you leave no trace so that whoever comes along next will not even know there was a fire there.

ElShalimo

Even if they are in Grampian CSI?

dyna-ti

Cutting branches off living trees is a twatty thing to do.

No campfire is the only choice unless you’re somewhere with fire pits. Its not your land to mark up with shitty black circles for everyone else to see.

Hence my bit in my original post about “Windblown and discarded timber”
    Theres a lot of cash crop forestry in Scotland, and usually there are a lot of bits, branches and things left there to rot down for the next cash crop planting.
    No I look for fallen fir branches as they drop a lot and season on the ground quite quickly. Make good pegs too should you be short or want to double peg.
    You can dig off a small patch and put it aside and then put it back when you leave.But doing that type of thing usually requires the person to have a brain in their head with the ability to use it. But hey ho.
    But yes, there are some black patches, as people like to favour good spots, so use one of those, also there always seems to be a central area, rocks gathered as a makeshift fireplace, so more often than not that is not the case.
    I’m responsible for my own actions, not other peoples who will do and continue to do what they will.

As to many of the other replies.
    This is a general thread. Doesnt have to be camping today, tomorrow or next week in the driest part of the country, just after harvest with straw everywhere. Could well be mid winter.

@CountZero

Ouch. I know how sharp those knives can be made. I’ll bet that fair went in 😯

dyna-ti

If you must have a campfire make sure you leave no trace so that whoever comes along next will not even know there was a fire there.

I’ll make sure I stay well back from the 15′ wide MTB track that’s raped its way through the land.

Honestly buddy, just some banter here and with Black Patch. An MTB thread on a cycling forum chock full of 2.6″ knobbly tyres designed to rip into the earth to provide grip for our hobby.

I’m not laughing.Honestly.

jca

Erm…no, of course Scotland can’t catch fire…This didn’t really happen yesterday…

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/1342487/hill-fire-near-cupar-battled-through-the-night/

joshvegas
    Free Member

Christ its so dry in peebles i thought my barbeque might send my garden up in smoke.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Axe and Saw’ is closed to new replies.