Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Awkward Laptop problem
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Seemingly out of the blue, mine laptop sounds has stopped working. Diagnosis is more difficult, as i stull get sound on skype. None of my media or youtube give me sound.

Checked drivers been at this for hours now and am throwinf myself at the mercy of the STW

Help me STW, you’re my only hope

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sound through speakers and headphones on skype? Headphones work on anything else?

What is in here on skype
    What is going on in the windows sound info

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

1) Speakers / Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio)

2)Speaker / Headphones IDT High Definition Audio Codec
    Default Device

and

Communication Headphones IDT High Definition Audio Codec
    Default Communication Device

And when the media is playing, then i right click the comm headphones and choose [test] i get sound for the few seconds of the test

If i do the same for Speakers / Headphones, i get nothing

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

also seems not to recognise when headphones are plugged in

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If it’s all the same then that makes it more interesting. No mute going on from the keyboard? Is there a more default audio device to try?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No, mute at Keyboard, that would mute skype too?
    what is a ‘more default’ audio device?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

in the audio selections is there anything else? Not more more I can suggest, sounded like skype was set to a different audio profile etc. but obviously not the case

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I can choose (High definition audio device) as a driver

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Give it a go, though the starting and going quiet is interesting. Other question is what changed before it stopped working

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

not that it starts and goes quiet. Only the [test] does that, where it plays short section

i’ve tried a restore to a few days back, no use

hols2
    Free Member

Often you can fix problems like this by uninstalling the hardware in the Device Manager, then rebooting. Windows will reinstall the driver. Good idea to note down what the hardware is first though so that you can download a driver online if need be.

thejesmonddingo

On the sound display,click on the communications header,you may have it set to mute all sounds while skype is on? Don’t know if this makes a difference?

maccruiskeen

also seems not to recognise when headphones are plugged in

Does the headphone jack double as an optical sound output? An issue I’ve had with older mac laptops in the past is the headphone jack being fooled into thinking an optical sound lead is attached and killing the sound to the speakers – peaking inside the headphone jack you’ll see a light on. A few jiggly plug-in / unplugs sorted it

Cougar

Is there grot in the headphone socket?

mattyfez

You could try the nuke from orbit approach, go to the download section of the laptop manufacturer’s website, locate and install a fresh driver package.

That should hopefully reset any rogue settings to default..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Installed drivers no difference

In fact all sound works so long Skype is connected. Have looked at most s/w solutions online. None yet working.

CheesybeanZ

Misleading thread title,
    I was expecting a “sticky keyboard” type problem.

Disappointed of Worcestershire .

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Awkward Laptop problem’ is closed to new replies.