Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Aviemore suggestion's??
  • steviegil
    Free Member

I am up in Aviemore for a course next month for 4 night's, so it would be rude not to take the bike. I dont really know the area that well so im wondering if you guy's can point me in the direction of some decent riding, possibly marked trail's would be better seeing as im not local and all my riding will be done in the dark but im pretty open to suggestion's to keep me out the pub 😆

Also does anyone know of good quality bike friendly hotel's that i can book for my stay??

Cheers in advance guy's

the_lecht_rocks

Laggan's about 40 minutes away 😀

steviegil
    Free Member

Yeah i was contemplating this fella, the only thing that's kinda putting me off is i will have the work van with a ferking tracker fitted 😥 but might try to squeeze in the wolf track's on the way up or back as i have to pass them 🙂

iainc

Why not give Bothy Bikes a call – there are local weekend rides from the shop, probably midweek evenings too….

steviegil
    Free Member

Cheers Iain i will do mate, I did not know they offered such a service but i will give them a shout in the next week or 2 😀

2tyred

You won't find much by way of marked trails round Aviemore, and if you're only riding at night you might be apprehensive, but the forest at Inshriach (head south from Coylumbridge) has some great stuff and the guys at Bothy Bikes can provide a map and useful suggestions.

I'd also head through the Rothiemurchus forest and out along the Lairig Ghru until you can't be arsed with the big boulders any more, then blast back down – that'd be ace as a night ride.

Both options are a short ride from Aviemore itself.

grumm
    Free Member

I wouldn't go out somewhere I'd never been before, at night, that wasn't waymarked, especially in the highlands – bit of a daft idea imo.

Bothy Bikes group ride sounds like a plan.

steviegil
    Free Member

Cheers 2tyred, I will defo give the guy's at the shop a shout to ask their advice, as long as i have a map etc then it wont be much hassle once i find my bearing's 🙂

I cant really be arsed with the big Macdonald hotel's etc and im pretty sure that's where the work will put me if i dont get my finger out and find something myself 😆 so anyone know of nice bike friendly accomodation ??

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The Bothy Bikes evening ride is on a Wednesday. Lots of trails around there so would get pretty confusing at night. Hilton at Coylombridge probably OK. Friends have eaten and stayed at the Cross in Kingussie, about 8 miles from Aviamore. No idea about bike friendly storage

joemarshall
    Free Member

I'd happily do the Ryvoan Pass – An Slugan route in the dark. Nice open tracks and no difficult navigation.

Description here, although obviously start from the Aviemore end (can ride in to it easily).
    http://cycling.visitscotland.com/find_route/highlands/pass_of_ryvoan

You'd need lights that went on for a fair length of time mind – it took me almost 3 hours when I did it last.

If you're riding in the woods S of the Rothiemurchus road, take a compass. If you get lost, just take tracks that head roughly North until you hit the road again.

Joe

lu
    Free Member

I stayed here:
    http://www.alltgynack.com/
    in Kinguisse, it was excellent and had secure bike storage.

Northwind

Watch out if you're up Glen Feshie way, the carnachuin bridge washed out a while back, I can't think where the next nearest crossing is but that'll mess up some routes.

steviegil
    Free Member

Cheer's guy's 🙂

Has anyone ridden the red run at the wolftrack's at night, is it suitable for a blast around on a winter's night?

the_lecht_rocks

stevie – red laggan nae bother at all – dead easy route and unlikely to cause a mechanical.
    what's wrong with the macdonald hotel in aviemore ? they'll be happy to accept cyclists……. ?

aviemoron
    Free Member

Yep ride old and new reds at Laggan – easy under an hour so no probs with burn times. Maybe save the black for daylight….
    I'd show you around, but I'm off to Dumfries and Galloway with the family for a week.
    Cairngorm hotel is ok accom' wise,not a chain and good food, but there are some nice bnb's further along the high street.
    Don't know specific bike friendly accom', but most bnb's are used to them up here!

proteus
    Free Member

Laggan's about 40 minutes away
    jesus wept!

bit of a daft idea imo.
    dearie me!

steviegil
    Free Member

Cool guy's 😀

the_lecht_rocks

proteus – Member

Laggan's about 40 minutes away
    jesus wept!

eh ?

steviegil
    Free Member

Cool guy's 😀

Lecht – Nothing wrong with it at all buddy, i prefer smaller hotel's that when you go into a bar people will speak to you, maybe im wrongly prejudging it due to its size 😳 the macdonald certainly does have all the facilities mind you…

Avie – I cant mind the date's but its not until the middle of next month, so if the offer is still open for me to tag along (slowly) with you for a ride then i may give you a shout nearer the date if that's ok??

steviegil
    Free Member

Sorry guy's i keep getting double post's for some reason!! 😕

doug_basqueMTB.com

Does the Old Bridge Inn have rooms still?? That's one of my favourite pubs. I intend to go for a pint there after my first Aviemore ride which will be as soon as I'm home.

aviemoron
    Free Member

OBI still has accom' best phone ahead if half-term time. Steviegil, post us a shout when yer up, if I can't make it, I'll point you in the right direction.

DickBarton

40 minutes from Laggan? Are you driving a single speed car??? Takes less than 20 minutes if it is quiet or about 25 if it isn't…

allyharp

single speed car

😆

steviegil
    Free Member

Ok guy's, the old bridge hotel or Cairngorm hotel?? 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I like the Cairngorm Hotel. Nice rooms, good food and a real bar with real locals. I'm not aware of any bike storage facilities though.

If you're after a short, quick blast, then a circuit of Loch Morlich would be pleasant and non-technical.

Heading out into the wilds in the dark wouldn't bother me, but if you're not used to it then options like Feshie (and Loch Einich) might be a bit epic.

There are lots of wee trails around Inshriach, but might be hard to link them into a good circuit without some local knowledge.

proteus
    Free Member

Takes less than 20 minutes if it is quiet or about 25 if it isn't…
    by helicopter, aye? ~25 miles and you have to do the squiggly bit between the A9 and Strathmashie?

eh ?
    the (seemingly) automatic suggestion of a trail centre, despite it being a fair bit away from aviemore. what's wrong with glen tress, eh? 😉

the_lecht_rocks

proteus – reason i suggested Laggan was he needs a trail with little navigational requirements in the area.

AlasdairMc

I reckon the singlespeed course at Badaguish would be good as a nightride, it's an excellent wee trail.

I agree with Druidh on the Cairngorm Hotel – never stayed there but had a few of their massive breakfasts and they're excellent.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Problem is Badaguish in the dark, if you don't know it, can be both tricky to navigate around and quite "challenging". 20-25 mins Wolftrax – hmmmm, that requires some serious driving, 40 is more sensible. Cairngorm hotel good craik, even in quieter months.

grumm
    Free Member

the (seemingly) automatic suggestion of a trail centre, despite it being a fair bit away from aviemore

I ride in the Lakes on my own fairly regularly, in all sorts of weather, but personally I think navigating in the dark, somewhere you've never been before, in some potentially harsh countryside is a bit daft – so a trail centre (or meeting up with other people) seems quite a good idea. Unless you've got some massive prejudice against them or something.

It's entirely up to the OP of course and chances are he'd be fine.

steviegil
    Free Member

Really appreciate the input guy's 🙂

I live in deepest darkest argyll so im used to navigating my way around but this time im going to lean towards riding with other's or popping along to Laggan to keep thing's simple.

Cairngorm hotel sound's perfect, good food, good craic and even better good beer 😀

proteus
    Free Member

personally I think navigating in the dark, somewhere you've never been before, in some potentially harsh countryside is a bit daft
    each to their own. maybe others are more experienced/adventurous…

grumm
    Free Member

each to their own. maybe others are more experienced/adventurous…

Yes we are all soft southern ponces down here. 😉

doug_basqueMTB.com

Never stayed in the OBI just got happily drunk there a few times so probably better to go for what people know. The stuff around Loch An Eilein would be pretty mellow as a night ride I reckon. I'd give Badaguish a miss as it's quite techy in places and a bit more remote if things go wrong. There's also some stuff on the other side of the A9 which is a bit closer to civilisation but I don't know it well enough to give directions.

I reckon riding with others and Laggan is a good bet though. I've had to spend a night out in the heather before and even with a good skinfull it's not pleasant!

downgrade
    Free Member

Found this Cyclists Welcome accommodation search quite helpful planning a trip recently, don't know how much it has for Aviemore

http://cycling.visitscotland.com/accommodation/

myheadsashed

The Old Ministers guest house – legend. opposite Bothy Bikes too.

devs
    Free Member

Do you know I have never considered Laggan as a night ride but I really fancy it now. I will be teeing that up very soon now.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

I could be up for that Devs. Give me a shout if you go

steviegil
    Free Member

I have booked the Cairngorm hotel from the 15/11 for 3 possibly 4 night's, i will be heading up sunday so it would be rude not to give laggan a run on the way up. 🙂

Thank's for all the input guy's and if anyone local fancies a pint or a ride out one night drop me an email 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore suggestion's??’ is closed to new replies.