• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Sanny.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Aviemore Cyclocross Routes ~ Loch Einich?
  • P20

We’ve got a few hours with cyclocross bikes available on Monday. Can anyone recommend any suitable routes?
    We’re reasonably familiar with the area for the mtb, but first time up there with the cross bikes. Would Loch Einich be doable on a cross? I haven’t done it for about five years

dunmail
    Free Member

I can’t remember any difficulty about it other than a few deepish stream crossings. I’d be happy to do it on a cross. Most of the Rothiemurchus forest should be fine really.

highlandman
    Free Member

Yes.
    Also consider Avie- Glenmore Lodge- Ryvoan- Nethy Bridge- Avie (back by umpteen various options).

bajsyckel

No problem whatsoever. I can’t think of many tracks that aren’t fun on the cross bike on that side of the hills.

P20

Excellent.
    Highlandman, is this the route?

image by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

We’ve looked at before, but never done it, preferring other mtb options

scotroutes

P20, from Forest Lodge carry on towards Nethy Bridge. Just before the 30mph sign, take a right and then the Riverside Path. That will lead you to the shop and hotel. Head west out of Nethy Bridge on the Speyside Way and follow it almost to Boat of Garten. Now hit the road for a couple of miles until you see the sign fir the Sluggan Pass
    Up there and back down to Loch Morlich. A fairly easy-goung 3hrs. Let me know if you’d like a gpx file.

You could do that in the morning and do the out and back to Loch Einich after a wee bit of lunch at the Glenmore cafe.

somafunk

I’d do the route that highlandman advises, i was up that way in glorious sunshine for 10 days in April of this year – the route he mentions is a belter of a run – very fast in sections out past Ryvoan bothy especially on a cross bike.

Any route up that way is doable on a cross bike, depends how many times you wish to try your luck on the rooty descents.

I took the path up the hill behind Glenmore lodge and dropped down to An Lochan Uaine and then continued on the Ryvoan bothy circuit, the roots were easily manageable on my Cove Hummer with 140mm forks the previous day but decidedly tricky on the Tripster, i made it with a few graceful dismounts though.

Also check out the paths from Aviemore -> Loch An Eilein -> Loch Gamhna and then take the upper path past the Bothy and down past the open peat bog area into the Nethy forest and play around on the numerous paths and finally make your way to Inshriach nursery for cakes and coffee (essential), return by any number of tracks back to Aviemore.

Pop into Bothy Bikes in Aviemore and ask for the Trail map set, I’m sure David and the boys will look after your needs.

scotroutes

Inshriach cake shop is closed Monday and Tuesday

P20

scotroutes – Member
    Inshriach cake shop is closed Monday and Tuesday

That’s probably the most vital information so far! Disaster!
    Loving the advice, routes and photos. Thanks, really glad I’ve asked. Looking forward to this.

Just for info: we are there because we’re taking the cross bikes from Lairg to Durness and back sat/sun. First bit of light touring we’ve tried

geoffj

I did a loch Morlich > climbers club footbridge > loch an eliean and back by the old logging way on Tuesday on my cotic x. I bumped into a miscreant astride a fat bike on the old logging way who has already provided good advice on this thread 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mountain cafe in aviemore for cake instead.

somafunk

Yeah, the mountain cafe is very good, don’t be a pig like i was. I had a huge vegi wrap falafel/hummous thing and a coffee then when i went in to pay i felt an overwhelming urge to try a bit of cake, cue two further coffees and a massive lump of carrot cake – i believe i waddled back downstairs.

Nice views from the terrace as well, this was back in mid April, t-shirt weather and eating out of doors in April 😀

And try the La Taverna Italian restaurant, either the Buffet, good value after cycling all day as you can return as often as you want or try the menu – Pizza’s are very good.

cupra
    Free Member

I echo what others have said. I was up that way in July and only took the cx bike, left the mtb at home. The previous time I was there I had the mtb and was wishing I’d brought the cx bike 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Old logging road, Glenmore, Ryvoan, Forest Lodge, Loch Garten tracks, Boat of Garten, Cycle Route off road back – did it at Easter in a couple of hours on the Fargo with picture stops. Lovely! All round Inchriach would be grand too! Loch an Eilan is easy going. Actually, most of the tracks are great on a cross bike…. 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore Cyclocross Routes ~ Loch Einich?’ is closed to new replies.