Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Aviemore
  • beamishblue

I’m planning a wee trip up to Aviemore next weekend. Plan to stop at Laggan on the Friday evening for a short ride. On the Sunday I’m thinking of doing the Burma Road route in the “Wild Trails” book.

I’d be grateful if anyone has some good recommendations for a longer route on the Saturday? Would be great if it included Lairig Ghru descent as part of a longer circuit. Alternatively any big mountain routes?

Cheers,
    Matt

scotroutes

The Lairig Ghru descent (from the trail heading past Rothiemurchus Lodge) is quite short and can be tacked onto almost any route in the area. Loch Eanich is always worth a visit and is another out-and-back.

Carn Ban Mor (down Glen Feshie) has probably the most bike-able ascent. If you want to make that a longer day, start from Rothiemurchus and cycle past Loch an Eilean, Loch Gamnha and over Moor of Feshie to Feshiebridge, then down the river-side track.

Burma Road is a half-day ride so you might want to head round by Nethy Bridge, Forest Lodge and Ryvoan on the return le (though that part of the circuit is normally better anti-clockwise)

beamishblue

Thanks – that’s great advice. I have walked up CBM and thought it would be a great descent. That was years ago though and I’d heard that the path had been ruined from an MTB point of view. I have heard conflicting reports to this. Do you have any recent beta?

Cheers,
    Matt

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I reckon MacDui has one of the best descents I’ve ever done, very rideable, very fast, grippy, superb. Try and do that if you can 🙂

beamishblue

Keen on Macdui. Would you recommend in under northern corries, up to plateau and summit and then descend to Hutchison Hut then out via Lairig an Laoigh?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Burma road, whilst being very scenic, is not worth driving all the way to aviemore for, just a big open country loop.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What was your route Dan?.

iainc

Burma road is lovely big sky stuff, but as nobeer says its not a technical ride in any way. If the main climb wasn’t so steep I’d use the cx bike on it.

scotroutes

Nice views from the top though

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore’ is closed to new replies.