Avid XO dramas!!

Home Forum Bike Forum Avid XO dramas!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Avid XO dramas!!
  • Premier Icon Dogsby
    Subscriber

So I have just changed the pads on my XOs. The rear was fine but the front has lost all power. I removed the old pads, re-set the pistons, fitted the new pads and the lever now just pulls to the bar. It looks like the left side piston is not moving. Have I buggered the piston or do they just need a bleed?

Any help would be appreciated as I am at Mayhem this weekend!

Cheers

Dogsby

coatesy

Was the bike upside down when you changed the pads? If so, they probably had air in the reservoir that’s now in the system.A good bleed should remove it, and prevent it happening again.

b45her

if they are 2013 X0 trail brakes make sure the pads are not jamming in the caliper, i had the same issue but it sorted it’s self one i freed the pad off.

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

Just to add to this, I’ve got 2012 Avid X0s and had lever pull to the bar, turned out to be a seal that had blow in the caliper. Can you see air bubbles coming from the caliper when you squeeze the lever?

They’re warrantied for two years, so send them back if that’s the case.

Premier Icon Dogsby
    Subscriber

The bike was the right way up and they are 2012 XOs. I am getting some movement of the pistons but not much before the lever touches the bar. It feels like it needs a bleed but I cannot think why it happened all of a sudden.

Looks like I will be pleading to the bike shop workshop tomorrow.

Dogsby

Premier Icon Dogsby
    Subscriber

Rickon,

Cheers. I cannot see any air or bubbles anywhere. I will try the LBS tomorrow and have panic bought a bleed kit just in case.

Dogsby

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

Did you buy one from Epic Bleed Solutions? If so… good choice 😉 It’s handy to have a kit anyway.

Premier Icon Dogsby
    Subscriber

Rickon,

Yep, Epic got my order. Just hoping it arrives in time!

Dogsby

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

It’s almost certainly had air in the reservoir- backing off the pistons moves a load of fluid around, when they’ve moved back out they’ve brought air in it. Bad bleed from the factory that’s just been waiting to cause you trouble. Not specifically an Avid fault though (on this occasion!)

Premier Icon grtdkad
    Subscriber

Similar issues here tbh.
    Changed pads on front XX and pulled to the bars repeatedly 24hrs later it had sorted itself out and was fine.
    Just changed rears pre-mayhem and I’ve got the same issue.

What do Sram expect us to do if you’re on an epic and need a mid ride pad change? Not happy.

Premier Icon Dogsby
    Subscriber

Strangely the rear was a bit soft and has now firmed up. I will see what it is like in the morning.

nosedive

avid brakes still shite then? glad I bailed a couple of years ago

sorry, that’s not very helpful is it

Premier Icon Dogsby
    Subscriber

Well, a tour of three German bike shops resulted in one that was willing to take it and get it fixed before I get in the car and drive to the UK tomorrow for MM. Fingers crossed he can get it sorted. If not I have a bleed kit on order and access to another and apparently AVID will be at Mayhem so I might be approaching them with a big box of biscuits on Saturday!!

Dogsby

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

Defo go to see Avid at MM, they’ll be dead keen to help.

stuarty

Mid ride pad change ?
    Am i using the wrong pads mine last half the year

Premier Icon Dogsby
    Subscriber

Bike all fixed by speedy German bike mechanic. Now en route from Deutschland to Mayhem. Hoping for good weather.

Dogsby

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Avid XO dramas!!’ is closed to new replies.