Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Avid Elixir 5 Lever has gone floppy.
  • benji_allen
    Free Member

Can I fix this with a service kit?

Any advice on doing it?

philsimm
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to bleed the brake Benji

benji_allen
    Free Member

Probably didn't explain it very well. When you push Avid levers forward they 'snap' out. I think it's a ball ended plunger that pushes against the piston. I didn't know whether the ball may have worn out and needs replacing, and if the service kit contains the parts?

rockhopperbike

Benji,

do you mean the lever is going back to the bars, like toy have air in the system, or is the lever flopping away from the bars all the time – like mine is and it's a pain- not sure how to fix it either

benji_allen
    Free Member

Away from the bars. Definitely doesn't need bleeding. It works fine, as you say it's just a pain.

Junkyard
    Free Member

mine have an in position I can reach that locks it can be pushed out to lock where i cannot reach them – no idea why they do this bot all my levers do this.
    It seems to be a sort of ratchet or certainly a catch. Has this gone to make it floppy- I think this is what you are describing.
    I have no idea if it can be fixed. I have a juicly 5 lever with the pipe connector stuck in and snapped off. You can have this if any use.

coatesy
    Free Member

Used to have the same thing on the higher end Juicys, it's a snap fit plastic sleeve, and should be included with the correct service kit.

rockhopperbike

——> Benji,

mine are less than a couple of months old, was thing of taking them back under warranty, whaddya reckon ?
    or am I being a bit too fussy??

doug_basqueMTB.com

You can replace the plastic sleeve if it's that coming out. You should do that ASAP because if it comes out then you can end up with no brakes. It's happened to me and I was lucky to walk away with a few scrapes.

A different problem with the Avid's is that the lever can go 'floppy' and it's because the piston doesn't return fully. It leaves a lot of dead travel on the lever before anything happens. If it's that then changing the fluid has helped for me before. Again, I have found that this dead travel can mean that the rod connecting the lever to the piston can snap out of it's wee circlip leaving you with no brakes. Get it sorted ASAP again would be my advice.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Probably worth a shot. Mine's about 8 months old so will probably just come under wear and tear, but a couple of months seems a bit soon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixir 5 Lever has gone floppy.’ is closed to new replies.