Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Avid Brakes – What Year
  • Tim
    Free Member

Hey all

i need to get hold of a front hose for my juicy 7’s urgently (i.e. i need it tomorrow)…to do this i need to work out what year they are as apparently the hose fitting is different after 2005? (according to CRC).

So does anyone know how to age them?

they are the same as these:

Thanks

Tim

mk1fan
    Free Member

They changed the thread pitch of the lever assembly compression nut in 2005. As long as the hose has a banjo on it you can reuse the existing nut. You’ll need new insert and olive too.

Oit of interest how long do you need? I have one at home that you can have for a lot less than new. I think it’s 700mm long.

Tim
    Free Member

Pretty long – 140mm pikes plus 2″ risers 🙂

Does that mean i can use either kit as long as the oroginal nut isnt mashed?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mk1fan
    Free Member

Unless you’re completely ham fisted the existing lever assembly bolt should unscrew very easily. So, yes. Use a good quality 8mm spanner and you’ll be fine. You will need a new olive and hose insert though as these are disposable.

Should add that when screwing in the new hose to the lever it should distinctly bottom out.

What happened to your existing hose? Might it worth upgrading to a Goodridge hose? Not a lot more ££ and comes with all the fittings you need.

Tim
    Free Member

Thats the plan, but wasnt sure if i needed a certain fitting – CRC list 2 choices 🙂

Original hose was cut down – i bought the brakes s/h:

Pre 2005: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10505

&

Fine Pitch 2005: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20442 (which is out of stock)

So ordering the 1st one should be fine?

Cool, thanks

Tim

fingerbike
    Free Member

I have the exact ones as in the picture and can tell you they are 2006. differences: have a split clamp for the handlebar (single on 2005), and a silver reservoir cover (black in 2004). 2007 onwards were a black in colour and had an aluminium adjuster dial.

Tim
    Free Member

ah cock, thats clouded things 🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

Either hose kit will work as long as you re-use your lever bolt.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Ignore that.

Thought you were talking about Avid hoses. Should check links before posting 😳

If you have a split clamp lever (the lever in your picture is a split clamp) that has two bolts to fix it to the handlebars then you need the later kit (110).

If you have a single bolt fixing the lever to the handlebar then you need the earlier kit (109)

Ooh and being pedantic Juicy Sevens weren’t black until this year. They are – annoyingly – a very dark silver grey.

Tim
    Free Member

cool

Couldnt find original avid hoses from the usual suspects

i’d ordered the 109 kit anyway before your last post (chancing it), so i just swore quite loudly when i read that 🙂

Nipped outside to look at bike, and its not got split clamps after all, so hopefully it should be fine

Thanks !

Tim

mk1fan
    Free Member

Tim,

Out of interest are you changing the rear hose too? As I am in need of such a hose – if it’s long enough.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Avid Brakes – What Year’ is closed to new replies.