Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Avid Bleed Kit and Juicy 3 Brakes.
  • Morris
    Free Member

I have Juicy 3 brakes and my back brake needs bleeding for the second time in 6 months. I’ve never done this before and have been told that it’s quite a tricky process and possibly messy. The last time I got my LBS to do it at £15 a brake. Now I’m thinking about doing it myself but only have the kitchen to do it in.

Has anyone had any experience using it? Is it difficult and messy job?

I’ve had countless problems with these brakes. Quite often when I put the wheels back on from storing the bike in the car they rub on the rotors. I’ve also had to adjust the callipers when replacing the pads.

What are the easiest hydraulic disc brakes to maintain?

jordie
    Free Member

if you have the bleed kit no it is simple. Screw in the syringes in top and bottom then squeeze the botton fluid into the top.It is not messy just take your time and have a look on youtube at the Avid videos

mildred

I’ve had countless problems with these brakes. Quite often when I put the wheels back on from storing the bike in the car they rub on the rotors.

Usually because you have inadvertently pulled the brake levers, or the brake levers have caught or knocked on something else.

I’ve also had to adjust the callipers when replacing the pads.

Normal for lots of brakes – different pad manufacturers (even when same brand) are all ever so slightly different.

What are the easiest hydraulic disc brakes to maintain?

Pre tech lever Hopes (though tech lever isn’t that bad).

Stuuey

I’m surprised they need bleeding so often! I do mine when they need it and that can be 800 to 1500 miles. I do it myself with the kit, it’s pretty easy and not messy unless you call 3 or 4 drops of brake fluid and a bit of water a mess? I use a bucket of water to catch it all and have kitchen roll handy. I think the bleed kit comes with things to put in your callipers to stop them closing when the wheel is off.
    It takes about 45 mins from start to everything cleaned up. Twice I have had to bleed one again as the lever went to the bar when I tested it but that’s only ten mins extra.
    Anyone have any top tips to stop this?
    My top tip is to highlight all the open clamp/ close clamp text as it easy to miss one and it cocks things right up.

Morris
    Free Member

Is it possible to bleed the brakes without working with a bike stand?

doubledunter
    Free Member

Its a simple process, I did my juicy 3’s after buying the bleed kit from red dog racing for half the avids price, followed a vid on youtube bit by bit and it was a doddle 😆

Did without a bike stand…

toby1

I had avid juicy 3’s but still found them spongy as hell even after bleeding, also didn’t like the lack of adjustment on the lever, as a result had to movethem will in towards the stem to avoid crushing my fingers with the levers.

Then I bought a set of xt’s, not had to do anything to them as yet, can just adjust the reach on the levers, simply great brakes so far 🙂

stumpy01

Very easy to bleed with the kit. Type “avid brake bleed” into youtube and Avid have some good videos on there. Following the instructions to the letter give the best results – stuff like using the syringe to degas the fluid.

It shouldn’t be a messy job (i.e you won’t cover your walls in fluid) – just expect drips from the caliper/lever and be ready to mop them up sharpish with plenty of kitchen roll.

I’ve always used a work stand, but you should be able to do it without – I guess.
    I would take the discs off the hubs to enable you to put the pad spacer in. I think it will fit, but am not 100% sure.

I’ve got a pair of Juicy 7s on one bike and Elixir R’s on another. They have both needed random bleeding at some point, for reasons unknown. Seem fine at the moment though.

stevious

Don’t shell out for the full price Avid bleed kit though.

There’s third party ones available on eBay for about a third of the price and the quality is just as good. I got mine from a chap called epic solutions, and have just left very positive feedback.

RustyMac

I have bled a few avid bakes now, i have juicy carbons and juicy 5’s. There is lots of good videos on youtube of how to do it and it is not very messy as stumpy01 says.

If you do not have a work stand it is easier if you can get someone to give you a hand to steady the bike while you work the saringes, sometimes you need to put a bit of force into them to get all the bubbles out.

When chucking the bike in the back of the car you can get spacers to put between the pads which will stop them pushing together, these spacers can also be made by folding up a cerial box and jamming it in there for free.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Avid Bleed Kit and Juicy 3 Brakes.’ is closed to new replies.