Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Avid BB7 on slot dropout Inbred
  • miketually
    Free Member

I know I’ve seen a thread here before but have tried several searches and can’t find it.

I’ve an 18″ slot dropout Inbred and want to put BB7s on it, after getting bored of repeatedly failing to sort the almost-Deore-but-not-quite-Deore hydraulics I have on it.

I know that the actuating arm on a BB7 snags on these frames, but I think someone on here posted how they got it to work. Think it involved tensioning the cable so it moved the arm a tiny amount, then doing something with the pad adapter?

Any ideas?

rob
    Free Member

I think they work with ok with 185mm rotors . There was a thread on mtbr about this might be worth a search on there.

julianwilson
    Free Member

You rang, sir?

😀 Happy twiddling Mike.

miketually
    Free Member

Fab, thanks 🙂

Actually, I think they might be different dropouts? Mine is slot dropout, rather than the older track ends?

miketually
    Free Member

Anyone got both Road and MTB BB7s?

As road levers pull less cable, is the arm on the road caliper shorter than on a MTB one to achieve the same pad movement?

Wondering if a road caliper would be a goer on a slot dropout Inbred. (With canti levers, rather than V brake, obviously.)

scaredypants

I have a slot dropout scandal (20″ I think) with road BB7s on it – using v-brake levers; it’s my mud bike and I use the extra pad travel to keep the gap open wider to avoid shite in the calliper.

Fits OK in the dropout angle with 185s on. Would be tighter for 160s I’m sure – main issue is tightening the bolts rather fouling once mounted IIRR

Not sure what’s different about the road model – I’d assumed it would be a different “pitch” on whatever converts arm movement into pad movement but the shorter arm would prob be easier to manufacture

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I run a 160 in a slotted Scandal frame, I had a few different calliper adapters and half links to play with as the wheel/brake combo needs to be away from the seatstay but I’m happy with the outcome.

I did use to run a 180 on it with no problems at all.

ds1
    Free Member

I had an inbred 29er with slot dropouts, 160mm rotor. I did what you mentioned, tensioned the arm forward a bit, and that was all that was needed. Sorry no pic as I no longer have it.

twojumpers

I run bb7’s fine on my 18″ inbred slot dropout with 185mm rotors. I Think it would cause problems with 160’s though.

miketually
    Free Member

Thanks, chaps.

I’ve a MTB BB7 I can try with, but it’s on another bike so will need some faffing to try.

scaredypants

I had a quick look (not measure) today. Can’t see a difference in arm length, even using my finger:thumb gap as a gauge, so I guess fouling would be much the same between types

miketually
    Free Member

Ah, thanks. Was just a guess on the arm length, based on cable pull. They must have clever gubbins* inside.

*technical term

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Avid BB7 on slot dropout Inbred’ is closed to new replies.