Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Avid BB5/7 road/MTB brakes query…
  • bullheart
    Free Member

Are they the same bit of kit for both road (CX) and MTB? I have a set of BB7 MTB calipers that I want to put on a CX bike, but keep reading that they might be different. If so, how?

Many thanks hive mind!

druidh
    Free Member

The leverage is different because roadie brakes pull a different amount of cable. They’ll “work” but feel odd and you’ll find it hard to get enough power to stop you.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/difference-between-road-and-mtb-versions-of-avid-bb7-brakes

bullheart
    Free Member

Ace! Thanks Colin…

scaredypants

risk with using mtb brakes on stis is that they don’t pull so much cable and you either set the pads very close to the disc or else maybe not achieving full braking force even when levers pulled right in

(IME anyway – I “fixed” it briefly by fitting inline cable adjusters to take up the slack often but changed to road BB7s pretty soon)

TiRed

Dia Compe 287V levers will pull sufficient cable for V brakes and BB7’s. Assuming you don’t mind single speed or barend shifters (no bad thing on a CX bike).

bm0p700f
    Free Member

+1 good advice there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I;d choose the levers I wanted, not the other way round…road-pull brakes allow you to use any lever you want.

bullheart
    Free Member

Its been a long day Al, and I’m a little slow.

road-pull brakes allow you to use any lever you want.

Can you clarify?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry fella…I meant..

“road-lever compatible calipers will work with standard sti, ergo and drop bar brake levers so you don’t have to restrict yourself to those dia compes etc”

Ringo
    Free Member

if its any help bullheart ive been wondering the same thing, some kind chap has pointed me in the direction of £15 bb5 road calipers pretty cheap

bullheart
    Free Member

Ringo my man; show me the link, if you would be so kind! 😀

Al – ta!

Ringo
    Free Member

linky
    there you go squire

bullheart
    Free Member

From what I can see, the front and rear calipers are identical; is that so?

Ringo
    Free Member

yep just sent you email saying so 🙂

stevie750

Is there a big difference between BB5 and BB7?

druidh
    Free Member

The BB7 lets you tune the position of both pads as they wear. On the BB5 you can only do this with the outer pad.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’ve got BB5 (road) on my Tripster, running with Tiagra STI. They’re ace (especially for 15 notes). There does seem to be an issue with uneven pad wear (one side goes before the other) but I guess that’s maybe because of how they work. I can find no fault with the BB5 – they stop me (190lbs+), panniers and not the lightest build Tripster on the planet very easily. Dead easy to set up too. Highly recommended.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Avid BB5/7 road/MTB brakes query…’ is closed to new replies.