Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Average weight for trail/enduro bike?
  • prezet
    Free Member

Weighed my Covert last night, and came out at 32.4lbs – is that on the heavy side for a trail/enduro rig?

It’s running Fox 36’s, reverb, and 721’s so probably not the lightest build components. Just wondering what a good weight to aim for is?

chrisdw
    Free Member

People seem to aim for sub 30.
    But coverts aren’t the lightest frames around.
    And 721 rims certainly aren’t light.
    So its not bad!

xiphon
    Free Member

Go as light as you can, without compromising on strength…. it all depends on your budget.

nuke

Sounds alright to me…my target would be around 30lb but still maintaining suitable wheels, tyres, forks, dropper etc so only by spending big money would I expect to hit the target

Stevelol
    Free Member

30lbs plus or minus 2lbs would be a very general average.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Not sure you can class it as a rig if its under 35lb

ahwiles
    Free Member

prezet – Member

Weighed my Covert last night, and came out at 32.4lbs – is that on the heavy side for a trail/enduro rig?

it’s fine, really.

if you want a lighter bike, buy one, then you’ll have 2 bikes, and that’s a win!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Blur LTc the missus has one at 27lb mine is 29 with some excess. Both would be happy on UK enduro.

Thought the missus did just have race face next cranks and an x0 cassette fitted.

prezet
    Free Member

I’m going to be moving to Flow Ex’s in the new year, so hopefully that’ll shed a bit more weight – after that I’d be spending lots of cash just for a few grammes here and there.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Go 1×10 too if you haven’t already 🙂

prezet
    Free Member

Go 1×10 too if you haven’t already

Already there 😀

julians
    Free Member

Theres no right answer to this, it depends on loads of compromises (and how much money you have)

But i reckon on accurate scales the average for most 160mm bikes would probably be around 30lb .

My Ibis Mojo HD weighs a bit more than 31 lb, which sounds pretty heavy for a carbon fibre bike, with carbon fibre handlebars and carbon fibre wheels, but it does have a dropper post, cane creek db air shock, coil sprung forks, 2.35 tyres, 2 x 10 gears.

It could very easily be down at 27-28lb I reckon, but I’d have to lose the dropper post, switch to a less capable rear shock, go to some less well performing air sprung forks, lighter tyres, 1 x 10 gears etc.

So we’re back to the compromises.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My Norco is around that Weight. Want to get it to 30lbs. Wheel and tyre upgrades coming. New cassette etc…

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Mine is 24 lbs – plenty of light weight but strong carbon stuff has helped I suppose, all gear I wouldn’t have a moments hesitation with though.

*I should probably add that my ‘Trail/Enduro’ bike is a 140mm front / 125mm rear travel bike not a 160mm like most listed above so hence the lower weight.

Scapegoat

Forks and wheels/ tyres make for the most obvious gains/ compromises. My Mojo HD with X Fusion slants, Arch Ex wheels, reverb and 2×10 XT weighs a smidge over 29 lb. It rides really well for its weight, and it’ll weigh more when I swap my Flow wheels and some heftier tyres onto it if the Nics get shredded.

honourablegeorge

julians – Member
    Theres no right answer to this, it depends on loads of compromises (and how much money you have)

But i reckon on accurate scales the average for most 160mm bikes would probably be around 30lb .

My Ibis Mojo HD weighs a bit more than 31 lb, which sounds pretty heavy for a carbon fibre bike, with carbon fibre handlebars and carbon fibre wheels, but it does have a dropper post, cane creek db air shock, coil sprung forks, 2.35 tyres, 2 x 10 gears.

It could very easily be down at 27-28lb I reckon, but I’d have to lose the dropper post, switch to a less capable rear shock, go to some less well performing air sprung forks, lighter tyres, 1 x 10 gears etc.

So we’re back to the compromises.

Plenty folks with much heavier builds than that claiming much lower weights.

banks
    Free Member

My covert comes in at 31. 2×10 with a cheap cassette, slx f&r mechs but with X0 cranks. Pro2 hub with a flow up front and a spank spike on the back – 2.4 RQ up front and a baron out back. 36 floats, deore brakes, renthal fat bar plus a reverb, nothing really lightweight so you could get it down quite easy.

banks
    Free Member

Me! Always thought mine would weigh a ton

hughjengin
    Free Member

My Stumpy Carbon FSR 29er comes in at one hairs breadth under 30 (29.9lbs), setup tubeless with fairly modest kit spec and a dropper post.
    Reckon there’d be a couple of pounds to be trimmed with bling kit, but then when I ride it hrough the winter and smash it through the North Wales scenery on a regular basis I wonder why I’d want a £200 rear mech or £1000 wheels

Large 2008 S-Works Enduro carbon – dropper post, 3×9, XT, EN521 rear, X-Fusion Vengeance. Bang on 30lbs on accurate luggage scales

julians
    Free Member

yep, I had noticed that. Always wondered why mine was much heavier than others. Maybe my scales are broken 😉

I guess we should take internet bike weights with a pinch of salt.

Rosss
    Free Member

My MojoHD comes in at 31.6 with flow ex, 1×10, reverb and 36 and thats a carbon frame

TheFlyingOx

I am quite the fat bastard, but half of it is my jew fro and my boss’s white sauce. So the average weight is probabaly 28 pounds give or take my bossmans juice. (on the bathroom scales).

Peace out homies.
    Love in the hood.
    #mountainbikesaregay

LoCo
    Free Member

21″ 2011 Remedy, 29er front wheel, 27 (.5) rear (arch pro 2 evo) XT 2×10
    pike 29er and DSP Racing dueler (ti spring) 28.8lbs

prezet
    Free Member

Hmm, ok full spec:

Renthal fat bar lite
    Renthal duo stem
    Fox Float 36’s
    Fox Float CTD shock
    Hope Pro 2’s / 721’s / 2.35 Hans Dampfs
    Medium framed Covert
    Reverb dropper
    WTB devo saddle
    SLX cranks
    SLX brakes
    SLX cassette
    Zee mech
    SRAM 1051 chain
    Superstar nano pedals

ChrisI

SB66c, bit under 28lbs. XX1 saved a good chunk of weight, this is still pretty light for having Float 34’s and a Reverb. Could save a bit by removing the Reverb and having Float 32’s but would totally ruin the bike IMO.

Scapegoat

Full spec: Mojo HD in 140 flavour frame, with MRP guide
    X Fusion Slant RP2
    Fatt Funnboy 750s
    SRAM contour foam grips
    XT brakes,
    Hope Pro2 Evo on Arch Ex
    Nobby Nics tubeless
    reverb, spoon
    XT M785 2×10 drivetrain

toons
    Free Member

@loco would you mind posting a photo of your bike?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Specs…
    Blur LTc
    Option 1 (mine)
    Fox 34 – perfect option not overkill like the 36 not xc like the 32
    Hope Pro II/Mavic 719 -good tyre shape great tubeless tough as nails
    X9/X0 drive train
    KS LEv
    Hope M4 Tech’s
    Thomson & Hope finishing gear
    E-13 2x Guide

Comes in around 28-29 depending on exactly whats on

Option 2 (the missus bike)
    Same frame
    Fox 32 150 – perfect for the lighter rider 🙂
    Same wheels
    SLX brakes
    Hope HS/BB
    Reverb
    Raceface Next Cranks (lighter than air) X9/X0 rest

There are still lighter race wheel options for both for a sensible price.

LoCo
    Free Member

@loco would you mind posting a photo of your bike?

Certainly, think the weight quoted above was with the revs (as seen in older picture below( van’s a different colour too now)) on not the pikes so probably about 30lbs as running a steel spring too now as a test, can’t weight it now as shock is off being shortened and tuned 😀

photo (2) by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

orena45

My Five currently comes in at 29.3lbs with RS Revs, 1×10, Reverb and EN521/Hope wheels. Have just switched 2″ Mud-X tyres for the winter and am running them tubeless but in the summer with tubed Conti 2.4″ tyres, it was a hair over 30lbs.

chrismac

I dont understand why trail bikes are so heavy and we accept it. If manufactures can make full DH bikes that weigh less than 35lb why are trail bikes not significantly lighter?

kimbers

depends what you want
    just look at wheels
    719s or arch ex will help keep the weight down but flows or 721s will be a lot tougher
    depends on what your definition of enduro is and where you ride etc

and as for DH bikes well they only usually have 1x setups and tiny seatposts with minimal saddles compared to 400mm of hydraulic dropper posts etc
    and Im not sure that I have the madskillz to float over a rock garden on a 35lb dh bike without the potential for trashing a very expensive piece of kit!

tomaso
    Free Member

Perhaps if you spend the same on your trail bike as the cost of 35lb works DH rig?

My large Pitch has nothing especially light and plenty of portly parts – Rever, dual ply tyres, mid-range group, cheap SPD trail pedals, cro-mo saddle, big discs and Lyriks. Not checked it but I’d guess its in the region of 32lbs.

It rides great. If I wanted light weight I’d rather buy another bike to use to speedier sportier rides – whic stangely was exactly what I’d done about 3 weeks before all my bikes got pinched 😳

andyrm
    Free Member

In current form, mine comes in at 30.5lbs – at one point early season, had it down at 29.5 mainly to see how low we could get it, but that was with silly light and fragile tyres.

Build spec in the photo:

Bionicon Alva 180 Air (small)
    SRAM X0 1×10 drivetrain with Absolute Black direct mount chainring
    Specialized Command Post
    Superstar Racer carbon saddle
    Superstar Tesla/Sentinel wheelset
    Onza Ibex 2.25/2.40 tyres
    DMR Vault pedals

Just swapped the brakes out for Zee from X0 after smoking them in Finale, so a slight weight gain there that will probably bring it closer to 31lbs, as well as a new chain device with taco after bending the unprotected chainring on a rock.

I’d say from what I saw this year in Europe, 30-31lbs is about average, you can probably go lighter in the UK but out there, heavier tyres etc for nastier courses drive the weights up a fair old bit. Even Manuel Ducci’s Mojo HDR came in at just over 30lbs in Tolfa. Much lighter and you start compromising longevity I’d say.

Lester
    Free Member

My Mojo 160 hd in medium comes in at exactly 291b with vaults and reverb

industry nine enduro wheels tubeless, xt 2 x10 xt cranks, sixc bars,monarch rtc plus shock

i will post pics over the weekend

zerocool

I reckon the average weight will be between 29 and 32lb depending on the frame and build. It seems a lot of the EWS riders go for longer travel heavier equipment compared to some of the super light race machines we see on here but then they are limited to what their sponsors supply and can’t risk a mechanical over the race weekend as replacement parts incur a time penalty.

My Alpine is 34lb but I have made no attempt to lighten it as I’m skint and saving for a house. In fact I made it heavier than normal by adding a dropper post (although I would love to lighten it up a bit next year). The Missus’ Covert is about 32lb with tubeless tyres and a reverb.

I’m sure new wheels and carbon bits could make it lighter but I don’t have the time or the money.

Tom Kp

paulx
    Free Member

Pretty much bang on 31lbs – Rumblefish Pro 21″ in ‘as it came out the shop spec’ plus DMVR Vaults.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I must have dodgy scales or something!
    … ‘cos my 20″ Five comes in at about 34-35lbs
    Flow EX, tubeless, Minions DP rear/SP front
    44RC3ti fork
    CCDB coil
    Mainly XT kit
    2×9 with a DRS chain device
    Reverb & std Bel-air
    V-one bars and stem.
    Nanos

pictonroad

Another Mojo 140 here, Rev solo airs, Reverb, 2×9, XT brakes & hope discs.

DT Swiss 5.1 on Hope and High rollers. carbon bars & very light stem.

snicks under 30lb.

I’d have to spend a LOT more to drop a couple of pounds, I’m not sure about a lot of people’s scales, not a lot of frames are lighter than a Mojo

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Average weight for trail/enduro bike?’ is closed to new replies.