Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 616 total)
  • Average speed cameras work. Are they even on ?
  • sbob
    Free Member

crankboy – Member
    surely an advanced driving course would teach you how to read the speedo on a car dash board?

So I take it you are another that hasn’t bothered with further education for the road?

dazh

sbob, you’re right, you’ve got me bang to rights. I am the arbiter of what is discussed on this thread and have been secretly manipulating the debate with my subtle but effective trolling wizardry. In fact I’m so damn good at it I don’t even realise I’m doing it. 🙄

sbob
    Free Member

dazh – Member

sbob, you’re right, you’ve got me bang to rights. I am the arbiter of what is discussed on this thread and have been secretly manipulating the debate with my subtle but effective trolling wizardry. In fact I’m so damn good at it I don’t even realise I’m doing it.

Several times I have pointed out that you have claimed I’ve said something I haven’t.
    Either prove me wrong or jog on you foolish troll.

dazh

dazh – Member
    A superb example of where average no speed cameras would be beneficial?

Unfortunately this also works.

Before I respond to this can I clarify which bit of the debate it refers to so I don’t get accused of trolling again. Is it:

A. Whether average speed cameras are turned on or not?
    B. The purpose of driving a car?
    C. Why we have speed limits?
    D. Who speed limits should apply to?
    E: Whether I am a troll or not?

sbob
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

Can you show where this slogan has been used in this country in recent years?

The message is there with the proliferation of speed cameras all over the country.

crankboy
    Free Member

“So I take it you are another that hasn’t bothered with further education for the road ?”

School of life mate. 30 years driving 25 years dealing with speeding drivers, dangerous drivers, and careless drivers . Speed is not often in and of itself dangerous but it magnifies other errors minimises opertunities to respond and maximises damage.

The roads are used by a wide variaty of drivers who drive with a differing skill set .It is remarkably poor driving to assume that because you have some skill this will enable you to anticipate all eventualities and respond in time to any event and it is therefor ok to exceed the speed limit.

dazh

The message is there with the proliferation of speed cameras all over the country.

So it’s a subliminal message? I’d have thought hiring some billboards would have been a much cheaper and effective method of delivering a slogan than installing thousands of expensive radar activated cameras with number plate recognition technology.

molgrips
    Free Member

Adding more regulations simply frustrates those people who feel perfectly safe doing what they are already doing.

OMFG what a pile of steaming rubbish!

If you get frustrated, that’s your problem! You need to grow up and deal with it, not take the law into your own hands! WTF do you think this is, the wild west?

edlong
    Free Member

crankboy

Couldn’t you have mustered that summation about 13 and a half pages ago and saved a lot of bother?

+1 for everything he said

rebel12
    Free Member

The roads are used by a wide variaty of drivers who drive with a differing skill set .It is remarkably poor driving to assume that because you have some skill this will enable you to anticipate all eventualities and respond in time to any event and it is therefor ok to exceed the speed limit.

Err not really – that’s exactly what advanced driving and advance observation teaches you. There really shouldn’t be many surprises if you observe and plan properly. Don’t get that from ‘school of life’ I’m afraid.

My fast road instructor offered a running commentary on all hazards, seen and as yet unseen whilst traveling at between 60-90 on a NSL single carrigeway. He was even able to pick up small details in the road surface and what they and verges at that speed. I felt far safer travelling at that sort of speed with him than many other drivers I’ve had the misfortune of traveling with at well below the speed limit.

molgrips
    Free Member

I felt far safer travelling at that sort of speed with him than many other drivers I’ve had the misfortune of traveling with at well below the speed limit.

And if you’d driven with him at 60mph instead of 90mph.. you’d have been safer still!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Where?

Or is it that it’s a handy slogan for anybody who wants to add “inappropriate” at the front?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf791DRbbEE[/video]

Lifer
    Free Member

rebel12 – Member
    My fast road instructor offered a running commentary on all hazards, seen and as yet unseen whilst traveling at between 60-90 on a NSL single carrigeway. He was even able to pick up small details in the road surface and what they and verges at that speed. I felt far safer travelling at that sort of speed with him than many other drivers I’ve had the misfortune of traveling with at well below the speed limit.

What small details was he able to pick up on at 40 metres per second?

crankboy
    Free Member

“My fast road instructor” I am surprised that any one qualified to drive for the police or other 999 services would condone speeding .

rebel12
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

rebel12 – Member

What small details was he able to pick up on at 40 metres per second?

Changes in road surface, camber and likely grip level, potholes and water hazards, damp leaves or oil/petrol ahead, metal gratings (much lower grip in wet), trees and lamposts in the distance indicating bends, changes in the central line spacing (elongated dividing lines) to indicate danger or a junction or bend ahead, Distant churches indicating a settlement ahead, Hash markings and junction assessment, mud on the road indicating that there could be tractors around, positioning the vehicle correctly at all times, zones of invisibilty ahead, reactions of oncoming drivers and forward planning, speed limits and road width, potential traffic hazards ahead and behind, animal hazards at sides of road, likely pedestrian behaviour – particularly children, undergrowth and hedges restricting visibility but giving a clue to what lies ahead, planning and likely actions for visible traffic waiting to join the carrigeway, machinery in fields indicating possible farm activity, livestock grouped together near a fence indicating a possible crossing or farmer parked up, weather, sunshine and its effects on visibility to you and others and possible wind effects on exposed sections of carrigeway, I could go on but I think that’s enough to give a snapshot. Demonstrated all whilst exhibiting exceptional car control at various speeds.

Think you could do that Lifer? Still think you don’t need to take any further training?

I can’t do all of this all of the time yet but I’m working on it and with practise hope to get there. It’s a complete headf**k at first but will become second nature so I’m told.

Driving fast on road is as much about observation, planning and anticipation as good car control. The key is to know when to slow down just as much as when you can safely go fast.

molgrips
    Free Member

Think you could do that Lifer?

I do that sort of thing all the time! Who the hell doesn’t notice cattle grids ffs?! And changes in road surface don’t matter if you’re not near the limit of any of them! I know there’s less grip on a crappy surface than a good one, but since I am driving in a relaxed manner anyway and not going that fast, I don’t need to adjust my driving when the surface gets worse.

You’re worrying me more now given that you speed and think all that is impressive rather than normal.

All that stuff is the predictable stuff anyway. You can’t always see all entrances or driveways, and you can’t ever be sure that an oncoming car isn’t going to veer onto your side of the road. Imagining you’ve got everything covered is arrogant, and it leads to over-confidence.

Cougar

Driving fast on road is as much about observation, planning and anticipation as good car control

FTFY.

piemonster

Changes in road surface, camber and likely grip level, potholes and water hazards, damp leaves or oil/petrol ahead, metal gratings (much lower grip in wet), trees and lamposts in the distance indicating bends, changes in the central line spacing (elongated dividing lines) to indicate danger or a junction or bend ahead, Distant churches indicating a settlement ahead, Hash markings and junction assessment, mud on the road indicating that there could be tractors around, positioning the vehicle correctly at all times, zones of invisibilty ahead, reactions of oncoming drivers and forward planning, speed limits and road width, potential traffic hazards ahead and behind, animal hazards at sides of road, likely pedestrian behaviour – particularly children, undergrowth and hedges restricting visibility but giving a clue to what lies ahead, planning and likely actions for visible traffic waiting to join the carrigeway, machinery in fields indicating possible farm activity, livestock grouped together near a fence indicating a possible crossing or farmer parked up, weather, sunshine and its effects on visibility to you and others and possible wind effects on exposed sections of carrigeway, I could go on but I think that’s enough to give a snapshot. Demonstrated all whilst exhibiting exceptional car control at various speeds.

Not being funny. And I’m sure as hell no driving god.

But this is just paying attention. Achieved my many.

Cougar

you can’t ever be sure that an oncoming car isn’t going to veer onto your side of the road

No, but you can be prepared in case it does.

But this is just paying attention. Achieved my many.

Achieved by depressingly few, in my experience.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, but you can be prepared in case it does.

By not masturbating over one’s demon skills and slowing down a bit.

Cougar

I always wondered what the Americans meant by “driving stick.”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

🙂

Cougar

Incidentally, whilst we’re on the subject,

Was today “National Drive On The Wrong Side Of The Road Day” and I missed the memo? I seem to have spent most of it throwing my car into the gutter to avoid drifting halfwits on phones.

bearnecessities

By not masturbating over one’s demon skills

Not strictly true, that’s what the passenger seat is for…as we all know, women dig men driving fast through an area where you have second guess what the children may do??!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s a busy road crossing I use at least once a day when taking the dog for a stroll. I normally have to wait for a dozen or so cars. I never fail to see at least one, often two, sometimes three or four cars with drivers on their phones. And that’s not counting the ones looking down at their crotches texting (they may after all be IAMs having a Thomas). It appears to be one law change that hasn’t worked at all.

EDIT: the above in response to Cougar.

rebel12
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Think you could do that Lifer?

I do that sort of thing all the time!

Of course you do molegrips 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I do too. I also record my journey with a dashcam. Then me and some other of my IAM buddies go to a pub, order halves of ale and get the journey with my commentary projected onto a screen. I then have to give a presentation on it at the end and explain clearly anything I have missed. We have a small Q&A session. We finish with a group Thomas The Tank.

watsontony
    Free Member

I am not reading 15 pages so will someone please give me a sit rep as to what is happening in hear?

It looks like its about speeding.

My view is if you think saving time on your journey by speeding is ok then you are a selfish prick.

I come to this conclusion as you must think saving a little time in you own life is worth ending someone else’s.

Some speed limits are however just silly. 70mph on a motorway?? Low speed limits when chance of coming into contact with pedestrians is ok as the human body is not getting any better at being run over. But when the 70mph limit was first enforced cars wear shit and now they are pretty damm good.

rebel12
    Free Member

My view is if you think saving time on your journey by speeding is ok then you are a selfish prick

You’re a selfish pr**k – there you go.

There’s not one person commenting on this forum that’s never driven over the speed limit including you.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s not one person commenting on this forum that’s never driven over the speed limit including you.

But not all of them to save time.

rebel12
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

But not all of them to save time.

No some of them by mistake because they just don’t realise. How good is that for observation?

At least when I speed it’s intentional and I make sure I’m aware exactly what I’m doing and whether it’s appropriate for the conditions. I really worry for those people whose zero awareness allow then to stray over the limit by mistake, a lapse of concentration, because they are texting/phoning or because they are not even aware what the limit actually is!

ahwiles
    Free Member

rebel12 – Member

There’s not one person commenting on this forum that’s never driven over the speed limit…

just a thought, who here would accept a GPS tracker/cameras/accelerometers/whatever in their car for a reduction in their insurance premiums?

what discount would you accept?

me: yes, 10%

you:…?

scotroutes

me:yes, 0%
    Make them compulsory fitment to all vehicles. Accidents would reduce in both number and severity and ALL our insurance premiums would decrease.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No some of them by mistake because they just don’t realise. How good is that for observation?

But you’d accept, not because they’re “selfish pricks”?

ahwiles
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

me:yes, 0%
    Make them compulsory fitment to all vehicles. Accidents would reduce in both number and severity and ALL our insurance premiums would decrease.

good point, well put, i’m in, anyone else?

Cougar

Nah. That’s naive.

You’d just see a massive rise in “broken” trackers, black market firmware and log editing services.

How many uninsured drivers are there on the roads? Enough to merit a special bureau to fund their crashes.

aracer
    Free Member

me: yes, 10%

Something tells me your insurance is rather more expensive than mine – which is interesting…

scotroutes

I’ll bet you that the number of uninsured drivers is a lot fewer than the number of speeding drivers – by a considerable margin (I almost wrote “order of magnitude” there 😳 ). The unit would have to be designed to be tamper-proof and could be checked by the authorities both randomly and at each MOT. Of course some folk would get around it, but they would be in the minority

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll bet you that the number of uninsured drivers is a lot fewer than the number of speeding drivers

Yes, but as discussed above, being a speeding driver doesn’t actually make you a dangerous driver.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 616 total)

The topic ‘Average speed cameras work. Are they even on ?’ is closed to new replies.