Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Average speed cameras on the A9.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Do you think this will make the A9 any safer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-23462860

imnotverygood

Yes, and its probably the obvious solution. However it’ll be a right PITA when there’ s no traffic about.

poly
    Free Member

possibly!

Speed itself is not the fundamental issue on the A9 (in my experience). It is speed differentials between different vehicles which seems to trigger dodgy overtaking. From what I have seen elsewhere Average Speed Cameras reduce the tendency for vehicles to overtake each other as there is no point when everyone is constrained.

If it means fewer traffic patrols to identify poor driving then it would be a bad thing.

peterfile
    Free Member

I can’t see why it would be a bad thing to be honest. For me, the A9 is quite nice to tick along at 50-60 when there are other cars on the road, I’ve never understood the kamikaze driving on the A9 (compared to the A82 for example, where overtaking is generally needed to make decent progress), there are plenty of reasonably safe places to overtake yet people can’t wait an extra 2 minutes to reach them.

scotroutes

Generally a good thing but it depends on how many segments they implement.

They should also be able to identify HGVs and so control their speed better. I’d rather overtake a truck travelling at 40mph than one doing 55-60mph.

scotroutes

+1

If they do decide to raise the HGV speed limit to 50 then they should reduce the car speed limit to 50 too.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I have been up and down the A9 countless times and have never got anywhere near a 60mph average speed.

It’s folk feeling that they’re forced into dodgy overtaking manoeuvres that causes the issues.

BoardinBob

However it’ll be a right PITA when there’ s no traffic about.

A PITA because you’ll actually have to obey the law???

VanMan
    Free Member

Majority of accidents are the poorly designed junctions, and nutters trying to get past one more truck before the dual carriageway ends.

These cameras are going to be from Dunblane to Inverness not just from Perth.

Will be a total PITA as no one will overtake anything, and when they get to the Dually bits it will be one loooong line of cars in the outer lane passing a truck five miles ahead.

strackbaz
    Free Member

Just having this debate in work as we’re up and down there quite regularly. I think until the A9 has been fully dualled (Perth to Inverness), it’s a bloody great idea.

When they installed the system several years back on the A77, it helped reduce accidents/deaths. See here for the case study http://www.speedcheck.co.uk/images/A77_Case_Study.pdf
    I also think it was the first zone in Scotland to have these cameras too.

irc

I can’t se

e why it would be a bad thing to be honest. For me, the A9 is quite nice to tick along at 50-60 when there are other cars on the road

Agreed. It is the 10, 15, or 20 miles in a long queue at 38mph behind a an HGV that pisses me off. The 40mph HGV limit is not appropriate on a road like the A9 with very gentle curves and gradients and long sight lines.

AS for average speed cameras – a good thing. THey turned the A77/M77 from a racetrack into a pleasant drive. And saved lives.

THE number of deaths on the A77 in Ayrshire has fallen by a massive 46 per cent in just three years.

And the introduction of the controversial SPECS cameras is responsible say campaigners.

Serious accidents have also significantly reduced since the average speed cameras went live in 2005.

They fell from 52 to 34 this year, a 35 per cent reduction.

http://www.ayrshirepost.net/ayrshire-news/local-news-ayrshire/ayr-news/2008/11/07/a77-speed-cameras-have-saved-lives-102545-22183563/

legend
    Free Member

BoardinBob
    A PITA because you’ll actually have to obey the law???

Well yes, especially on a powder day 8)

scotroutes

As above. If there are long sight lines and gentle gradients then I’d rather a truck be doing 40 than 50 (and the rest) as it is easier to overtake. I drive along at a steady 50 in my van and I’m constantly getting flashed by HGVs that somehow manage to catch up with me 🙄

bigjim

I think its good in terms of stopping the idiots that use the dual sections as speed limit-less autobahns, but the problem with bad overtaking on single carriageway sections will still exist as the lorries are limited to such a low speed.

Dual all the way plus average speed cameras is the only really safe option.

I drove up to snecky on Friday and back on Sunday and the A9 was fine in terms of speed though. I still had one near head-on due to some idiot diving out to overtake on a corner, saw a lorry overshoot a layby and plough away into the verge at the end of the layby, and saw a Range rover sport doing over a ton desperately try to continue to overtake when the dual merged into single, crossing into the chevrons braking desperately to try and merge before the oncoming traffic. Never a dull moment on the A9 🙁

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not wanting to seem cynical or anything, but is this not a short term option until the whole A9 gets dualled, but once the cheap option has been implemented, then dualling becomes less of an issue so less need to spend money there.

scotroutes

Given that contracts for the some of the A9 upgrading have just been handed out, I think your cynicism is, in this case, unfounded.

On the other hand, if it was cheaper and it worked why carry on with the upgrade 😉

IIRC the plans include a segregated cycle path for those sections that currently don’t have one.

imnotverygood

IIRC the plans include a segregated cycle path for those sections that currently don’t have one.

Bearing in mind Sustrans recent prognostications on the subject, I imagine they will stick average speed cameras on those too.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Given that contracts for the some of the A9 upgrading have just been handed out, I think your cynicism is, in this case, unfounded.

oh good – must by my natural mistrust of pollytishuns.
    Cycle track would make sense it shouldn’t add much to the cost idf there’s work going on anyway

andytherocketeer

Depends on the kind of road. If the limit is much lower than what feels like a “natural” speed to drive, then I’ll be looking at my speedo a lot more.

Well actually I won’t cos my car doesn’t have a UK reg. plate. Royal PITA overtaking trucks limited to 40 on a single lane road in a LHD car though.

Of course if all cars come with cruise control with a max speed limiter mode, then it’s a brilliant idea (handy feature for roadworks too).

richmtb

Its a road I try and avoid to be honest.

I don’t believe speeding is the issue try setting your cruise control at 65mph indicated and see how long you can travel on the A9 before you catch a queue of cars.

The problem on the A9 is the mixture of traffic travelling at different speeds

If they enforce a 40mph limit for HGV’s it will be a nightmare – big tailbacks of people not overtaking the HGV, or waiting their turn which is the same thing.

Or big tailbacks waiting behind Mr 42mph in his Hyundai i20 not wanting to overtake because the don’t know what average means.

Queues of cars doing 60 mph in the outside lane of the dual carriageway bits because they don’t know the speed limit is 70

So I’ll continue to try an avoid it

scotroutes

If they enforced a 40mph limit then overtaking would be easier, not harder.

Drac

They should also be able to identify HGVs and so control their speed better. I’d rather overtake a truck travelling at 40mph than one doing 55-60mph.

Pretty sure that they can.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Has anyone on here ever been caught by an average speed camera ? I don’t know a single person who has been, normal speed cameras yes but not average

aracer
    Free Member

If they enforce a 40mph limit for HGV’s it will be a nightmare – big tailbacks of people not overtaking the HGV, or waiting their turn which is the same thing.

I don’t think molgrips makes it up that far very often though.

richmtb

If they enforced a 40mph limit then overtaking would be easier, not harder.

Well yes in so far as overtaking an HGV travelling at 40 mph is easier than overtaking an HGV doing 50mph

But no in the fact that the HGV will now be travelling slower than the majority of the traffic so will hold up more of the traffic.

A good proportion of this traffic will never attempt an overtake on a single carriageway road so a massive queue will form.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m on the A9 twice a day and I cant see the problem with it. The only delays I ever really get are when they upgrade bits.

pacerc200
    Free Member

Does anyone know the relationship between accidents at single carriageway section/junctions(eg Newtonmore/dalwhinnie) and those caused by excessive speed. Dual carriageway is the only solution, I don’t think ave speed cameras are any more helpfull than reduced speeds(40/50) and speed cameras at the traditional black spots. More single/dual signs in multi languages would help

bigjim

I’m on the A9 twice a day and I cant see the problem with it. The only delays I ever really get are when they upgrade bits.

Everyone expects the speed limit to be the minimum speed limit though, so you get the crazy overtaking.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I suspect that it won’t take the impatient long to work out that, after several miles in a 45 mph queue, they’ll be “Ok” for a 90 mph overtake of those three cars and a lorry in front, then settle to 60 without exceeding the average.

Much as now?

mpw
    Free Member

Apparently the cameras are going to start at the Dunblane roundabout, all the way along past Gleneagles to Perth, then all the way to Inverness.

maccruiskeen

At A9, and Northern Ireland are the only two places where I see trucks driving at their 40mph single carriageway limit. Theres no campaign that I’m aware of to promote or enforce the limit on that stretch so I don’t know why its so fastidiously observed there

Here on the route of the A76 theres frequent signs reminding trucks of the 40mph limit but I’ve never witnessed trucks even nearly obeying that limit and I’ve never seen any action to try and enforce it either

footflaps

and saw a Range rover sport doing over a ton desperately try to continue to overtake when the dual merged into single, crossing into the chevrons braking desperately to try and merge before the oncoming traffic. Never a dull moment on the A9

Yep, been there done that. Probably overtaken more cars on that road than any other in the UK, often 20 or so in one go…..

Northwind

I was happy to see more “dual carriageway in 5 miles” sort of signs, that’s a really good idea. Possibly some “This bit is single carriageway you dick” signs would be good too.

TBH, I am a pretty calm driver but that road does seem to bring out the worst in people. I’d like to sit at one of the dual carriageway sections with a rifle and spend a day murdering anyone who a) dawdles along the singles at 40/50 then boots it as soon as it duals, or b) decides to try and overtake the 40mph dawdler in front of them at 42mph and ends up spending half the dual section bunging up the road. Oh and for balance let’s do some c)s, people trying to overtake right at the end of the duals and running out.

Obviously when I say “brings out the worst in people” I include myself, I am not normally a murderer.

footflaps

but that road does seem to bring out the worst in people.

Agreed. The A9 and the A5 in Wales, just seem to encourage insane speed and overtaking, of which I have been guilty of.

maccruiskeen

I was happy to see more “dual carriageway in 5 miles” sort of signs, that’s a really good idea. Possibly some “This bit is single carriageway you dick” signs would be good too.

I’d have preferred them to have the signs in minutes rather than miles – but I think those signs are a big improvement and they’re long overdue, it seems like having the prospect of big improvement like duelling the road somewhere on the horizon seems to preclude small improvements like.. a handful of signs.

More important than being told how far to the next duelled section though… is being told how long the duelled section will last – some are long, some are very short but you only get 400 yds notice that they’re finishing leading to a lot of

and saw a Range rover sport doing over a ton desperately try to continue to overtake when the dual merged into single, crossing into the chevrons braking desperately to try and merge before the oncoming traffic

zokes
    Free Member

Agreed. The A9 and the A5 in Wales, just seem to encourage insane speed and overtaking, of which I have been guilty of.

Ah, the A5 – my old stomping ground. Curiously, I felt much safer on that road once I actually got a fast car. Overtake in confidence than carry on at 60 un-ruffled. That said, the ‘chicken run’ section near Os was always a bit of an eye-opener. Trucks trying to overtake trucks head on 😯

piemonster

The A9, probably our paramedics top destination at work. Followed closely by the A82.

Grim when folk get it wrong.

Drac

Sounds like the A1 in Northumberland.

piemonster

Can I hazard a guess at the A1 being at it riskiest late afternoon/early evening with a high rate of motorcyclists being involved?

To be honest, too early for us to do any decent statistical analysis. But there definitely appears to be an emerging pattern.

Drac

Can I hazard a guess at the A1 being at it riskiest late afternoon/early evening with a high rate of motorcyclists being involved?

It’s bad all the time but worst is weekends or holiday seasons. Still they’re considering upgrading to dual again so in 30 years time they’ll be at the same stage as they were when the first started 30 years ago, still talking.

Motorcyclist use the A697 for their ‘fun’.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Average speed cameras on the A9.’ is closed to new replies.