Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Average person in the uk walks how far each year?
  • zippykona

Question on House Of Games.
    What say ye?

matt_outandabout

Not far enough.
    I’m saying 4 miles a week, so 200 miles.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

700 miles. Surely they at least average about 2 miles a day?

footflaps

I’d say less, there are a lot of lazy slobs in the UK….

50 miles.

matt_outandabout

Surely they at least average about 2 miles a day?

I’ve some neighbours and family who walk from house to car, around the supermarket, back from car to house.

zippykona

The answer is one hundred and ninety eight.
    That is quite frankly shocking.

footflaps

The answer is one hundred and ninety eight.

Higher than I thought!

boobs

That is shocking, how can you only walk 1/2 mile a day. My cats walk further than that and they do sod all.

funkmasterp

Considering how many long hours, crap pay not physical jobs there are I’m not at all surprised. A lot of folk get up, commute to work, do mind numbing job for 10 or 12 hours, then commute home. Weekends spent sleeping, drinking etc. I used to be one of them and had naff all energy or money to spare.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

**** me.

DavidB
    Free Member

My cats walk further than that and they do sod all.

I’m intrigued how you know?

footflaps

I’m intrigued how you know?

We had a tiny GPS logger for their collars which recorded where they went and where they slept etc…

matt_outandabout

What do I win?

It’s shocking.

I remember one of my dissertations was on access in the lakes. At the time it was researched that the average visitor to the lakes walked 400metres. That includes the hillwalkers. I think it was 20% basically stood up from car, took a photo and climbed back in… That was in the 1990’s, I suspect it’s worsened now.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I remember a race briefing before the Nottingham Outlaw. Race director said we were going to do more exercise in the next 24 hrs than the average Briton does in a year!

Pretty scary.

TheBrick
    Free Member

At them moment with the lockdown and work from home that sounds about right. I’ve become very sedentary.

jimmy

Doesn’t surprise me. I don’t really walk much but have been doing so due to injury. It takes a lot of time to walk any distance and, well, I don’t consider myself lazy. I do consider most of the population lazy (to swipe my tarred brush)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Active people might be moving less due to lockdown, but I bet the sedentary ones are moving more.

Back in the first lockdown when it was sunny, I’m sure some people thought the hour exercise was compulsory

ads678

Average person in the uk walks how far each year?

500 miles……and then 500 more……

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Does it include the once a year pilgrimage to the Lake District retail villages to buy a 300 quid (reduced from 500 bargain take meh monhey) sleeping bag coat from Sean M Cummings Outfitters and go to the pub, I mean hike.

Tom-B
    Free Member

As someone has mentioned….12 hours shifts 5 days a week doing a sole destroying job….you don’t feel much like walking I’d imagine.

white101

Although that is frighteningly low I cant say I’m surprised. My neighbours have about 7 cars between them and a Motorhome and my bike will do more miles than most of them each year. Walking isn’t in their lifestyle but neither is actually going anywhere.
    WFH during lockdown part 1 (and long before) I saw a number of people I had never seen before ambling around the estate who I had never seen before or since.

easily
    Free Member

According to my phone I’ve walked 5.5 miles today.

Excellent, now I can sit on my arse for the next 8 weeks and still be above average.

nickc

Christ, I’m in a GP practice all day, and sit on my arse for a lot of my time. My Garmin says I walk more than 80% of people, I used to think it was bollocks but I walk about 32 miles a week, and now I think that seems about right!

RustyNissanPrairie

This year I’ve done 10.2miles per day on average the majority with the dog and he still looks at me pissed off that we aren’t doing more!

Mister-P
    Free Member

12 hours shifts 5 days a week doing a sole destroying job….you don’t feel much like walking I’d imagine.

If your soles are destroyed then you have a good reason to not walk. However walking is pretty good for the soul.

footflaps

I remember one of my dissertations was on access in the lakes. At the time it was researched that the average visitor to the lakes walked 400metres. That includes the hillwalkers. I think it was 20% basically stood up from car, took a photo and climbed back in… That was in the 1990’s, I suspect it’s worsened now.

However, fantastic if you like the fells, you can turn up on a ram packed BH WE and know that once you’ve walked the first 400 yards from the car you’ve lost 99.9% of the plebs…

sockpuppet

According to my phone I’ve walked 5.5 miles today.

Excellent, now I can sit on my arse for the next 8 weeks and still be above average.

I doubt your maths!

But nevertheless, I’m surprised saddened how low it is.

whitestone
    Free Member

Our neighbour doesn’t have that big a big a lawn but he reckons that he walks a mile when mowing it.

Personally it can vary a lot for me – some days It’ll be at half a mile, others it might be ten.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

189 is shockingly low, my delivery was quite low for Covid times at ~7 miles today, on Saturday it was highest I’ve recorded at just over ~11.5 miles.

jam-bo

For that to be the average*, there has to be a lot of people on significantly less that that.

7.8km/day so far this year according to Apple health, up from 6.9km/day last year

Edit: *it’ll only be 50% if you assume a normal distribution..

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s a lot of lockdown dogs not being walked properly

dirtyrider
    Free Member

doris across the road from me, drives 450m to drop little timmy off at school

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Car and back x 2. Bathroom x 8. Tv to fridge x 6. Sounds about right.

How on earth did they figure it out though?

CountZero

I did 1.1 miles on Sunday, according to my phone, which surprised me, ‘cos I spent the day pottering around in the garden. However yesterday I did 5.4 miles, today it was 5.8 miles, and I seem to average 4 miles/day, actually 4.3 mi/day over the last 7 days.
    Average for 2019 was 3.4 mi/day, this year 3.3mi/day, which isn’t surprising because during furlough I wasn’t walking as much as I do at work, and I don’t walk as far at the weekends, basically I’ve reached an age where my knees tell me they need some rest and relaxation!

Drac

Over 12 hours at work today and I’ve walked 2.5 miles which given I was on a lot of meetings and conference calls plus driving about that isn’t too bad.

easily
    Free Member

I doubt your maths!

😳
    I had my days and weeks mixed up.

Dammit. That means I can only sit around for days and still be above average. I knew it was too good to be true.

alpin
    Free Member

We had a tiny GPS logger for their collars which recorded where they went and where they slept etc…

This sounds more exciting than it should.

When back in the UK I was surprised/saddened to see that when I walked the half mile to the school to pick up my nephew that neighbours (and a shit load of other locals) were driving to the school and having to park up >300m from the school to pick up their sprogs.

I’m sure that today I walked over a mile whilst laying a parquet floor. Most days in the workshop would be more than a mile just walking between the work bench and the table saw.

slowoldman

Well Google says

According to the NHS the average British person walks between 3,000 and 4,000 steps a day. Indeed, 10,000 steps – depending on the length of your stride – is about the equivalent of walking about 5 miles.

So that’s 1.5 – 2 miles a day.

kerley
    Free Member

Why would people walk when they have a car or a bike. Walking is the slowest way to get anywhere and going any distance takes a lot of time.

I walk everyday because I have dogs but they are tiny dogs and only walk about a mile and outside of that I don’t really walk anywhere.

Sounds like my “half a mile from a carpark” rule.

Whenever I’m out for a walk or an off road ride, I always know when I’m near a car park because I start meeting people. Get half a mile away and the countryside is empty.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Average person in the uk walks how far each year?’ is closed to new replies.