Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • AVB – coat on a shoogly nail? ( Look away if waiting on the result. )
  • bren2709

And you really think Harry would come back with the current board of directors in place?
    Well put it another way, would you?

Slightly off-topic, but I also think Liverpool should flog Gerrard if they want to progress. They are a better team without him.

Stevie G’s days are numbered, don’t you think?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I must admit I never understood why they dropped Harry.

Its quite amazing that Pardew is the second longest serving manager in a premier league club now, thats quite a shocking stat if true. Only second to wenger.

mashiehood
    Free Member

badnewz – and you based this on one game? I bet you were on the same wagon of people who said we were a better team without Suarez!

jimster
    Free Member

Can’t see why the board couldn’t wait until the end of the season. Yes we’ve suffered some big defeats, can remember when Christian Gross took over, we got stuffed 6-1 at home by Chelsea, 4-0 at Coventry – fortunately he was given time and turned things around.

They’re still in Europe, more than Liverpool. 🙂

winston_dog
    Free Member

The right decision. This season is dead now, top 4 is beyond us

You are 6 points off 2nd, 5 points off 4th. How is top 4 beyond you?
    22 games left to play = 66 possible points.

weeksy

Did you not see the game mate ? If they carry on like that, relegation may be more likely 😉

stcolin
    Free Member

The fickle word of football continues to revolve. Harsh sacking, I think. The club is still in a strong enough position.

Still, as an Arsenal fan I’m hardly welling up 😉

tiggs121
    Free Member

Potential replacements?

DiCanio

Clarke

Mancini

Benitez

Capello

or maybe ……………….HODDLE!!

mikey3
    Free Member

Swansea will be looking for a new manager very soon.

Klunk
    Free Member

Roberto di matteo

mikey74
    Free Member

Slightly off-topic, but I also think Liverpool should flog Gerrard if they want to progress. They are a better team without him.

We are only a better team without Gerrard because those midfielders alongside him, such as Henderson, always look to him, rather than do something themselves, which results in a poorly balanced team. It is up to Henderson and the like to have more confidence in their ability.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@winston For the top 3 you have Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea and I think Man Utd will come good, Liverpool are well placed. Spurs haven’t been able to close out the season well enough recently and this year we are weaker than in prior years. Based upon today’s CL draw I think Arsenal (definitely) and Man City (probably) will go out, so they will focus on the league.

@mikey – perhaps Laudrupp but he’s also got no experience at the top end of a very competitive league either

I think there is some evidence here that one £80m player is worth more than 4 £20m ones

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hope Hoddle gets the job, a real legend.

mikey74
    Free Member

Plus, I’m not entirely sure it is all AVB’s fault: The board panicked over the loss of Bale and bought an entire new team. All they needed was one or two world-class players in his position. It will take a while for so many new players to bed in.

winston_dog
    Free Member

@jambalaya

this year we are weaker than in prior years.

You have had a better start this year than last.

One thing that is apparent this season is totally unpredictable. City did Arsenal on the weekend but they still conceded 3 goals at home. Liverpool were “in crisis” when they got beat off Hull a few weeks ago!

AVB should of been given more time to sort those new players out. It seems that media really don’t like him and generated quite a ground swell from the fans to make sure he went.

jambalaya
    Free Member

All they needed was one or two world-class players in his position.

That’ll be easy then, no one else looking for those either 😕

I think Martin O’Neill would have been an interesting choice but he’s with the Republic now.

Sadly I think we will finish mid table, below even Southampton and Newcastle.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Martin O’Neill

Try speaking to the great unwashed about him. They couldn’t get him out the door quick enough.

funkrodent

The day just gets better!

Hopefully get someone with a bit of pride and passion for his beloved Tottenham………..
    Welcome home JK

JK? Joe Kinnear?

As a gooner, please, please, please… 😉

ps – it’s nice to be able to rely on Tottenham to have a worse week than us, regardless…

Rockape63
    Free Member

Marvellous wasn’t it….I turned on the telly with 10mins to go and thought…kin hell its 0-3! 😯 The next 10mins were pure joy. 😀

I was out all day Saturday but I’d forced myself to watch the match v City I’d recorded on MOTD earlier and was feeling a bit off colour, although felt it wasn’t as bad a performance as some had suggested. But that Spurs result made me feel much better.

So the very ‘astute’ Mr Levy isn’t looking quite so astute now, is he? I’m sure if ‘Arry was still there, they would be in a far better position.

bren2709

That JK can stay at Newcastle. 😉

winston_dog
    Free Member

JK? Joe Kinnear?

As a gooner, please, please, please…

As a Mag, this +1000! Please!

hora
    Free Member

Looks like our chances of a top four finish just looked up a bit

I think you will finish top four binners.

My prediction is:

Man City
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man Utd.

Yes I think Arsenal will lose it now… they’ve not known how to keep momentum for a very very longtime… and they’ll drop below Chelsea.

Oh and whilst I’m predicting stuff

2014 F1 title:

Alonso
    Vettel
    Kimi
    Lewis

Rockape63
    Free Member

I don’t think it takes the wisdom of Solomon to work out that Arsenal are not the favourites! After all, both teams you have placed above them have spent hundreds and hundreds of millions of pounds buying their success whilst Arsenal are working on a comparative shoestring.

Its NOTHING to do with keeping momentum, its about the depth of squad and abilty and experience of the players. Obviously a half decent manager helps!

Kunstler

Laudrup and Spurs are highly compatible in football style. They should grab him before Man Utd do.

eatsdirt
    Free Member

Liverpool fan so well used to expectations not being realistic or met in recent times! AVB went down to my mind, because he isn’t getting enough out of the new big cash signings and he hasn’t helped endear himself with his attitude in dealing with the press lately.

I wont go as far as he hasn’t got a clue, his stats with Spurs suggest otherwise, but he his hyped beyond belief based on one season with Porto in a league that’s about as challenging as the SPL. Quite staggered that PSG and Real made noises to poach him in the summer.

Just prey they don’t go with Capello or Baldini if you want any attractive football.

Amazed that everyone is tipping man u to come good, they were living on Fergies magical powers to instil belief. They need some fairly hefty surgery I think.

Just happy Christmas finds a decent competitive league for once, with loads of drama left and Liverpool still in with a shout. Really think you need to be in genuine league contention to think about being top 4 – don’t see a big 1-4 points gap this season

MSP

I don’t think Laudrup would bring the work ethic and discipline to Spurs to realise the style of play they want, Pochettino would be a better bet for them IMO. I think if the groundwork had already been laid Laudrup would be a good choice, but they should look elsewhere for the time being.

What they (and many other clubs) could learn from Swansea, is that stability isn’t just about keeping the same manager, the club needs a philosophy and identity that guides the recruitment of players, manager and backroom staff to keep continuity even when faces change.

Blackhound

It is easy to say the Portuguese league is poor but Jose Mourinho has done ok since leaving that ‘little’ league.

Seemed a bit soon to get rid after spending ~£100m, and Steve Clark was a bit if a surprise to.

Rumour round here (Derby) is that Will Hughes is Liverpool bound in January, I suspect to take over from Steven Gerrard in the longer term. Hope we keep WH at least until the end of the season.

Madness the way clubs get rid of managers these days.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think the problem with Spurs is unreasonable expectations, based on the available resources 4th-7th is about right. Chelsea, Man City and Man U will be top 3 year in year out. The rest are chasing that 4th spot. AVB was a shocking appointment, at least Chelsea figured that out more quickly.

MSP

Madness the way clubs get rid of managers these days.

I don’t think it has changed half as much as people believe, Liverpool, Arsenal and Utd have had a long standing manager or two, but everyone else has been changing manager every couple of years since I was a kid, as did those teams through much of their history.

eatsdirt
    Free Member

If Jose hadn’t won the champions league, maybe he wouldn’t have burst out of Porto with the same kudos. I think he has proved himself since though!

The axe does fall quickly, Steve Clarke was a victim of the start last season. Thinking that 2 6 mill signings are of that great a significance in the prem now is foolish on the chairmans behalf, but again Steve Clarke made the wrong noises about his lot in the press.

If the results aren’t coming, the fans on your back and you’ve riled the man at the top, you are out. Don’t think it’s right, but it seems to be the way.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Neil Warnock
    *runs away*

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Jk…. I thought you lot were talking about our favourite diving German…. Jurgan Klinsman

Now that would be a dream appointment, but can’t see him leaving sunny California

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was hoping you were all meaning J f’in K cause we could do with him gone by the time the January window opens…

As for Spurs under achieving and failing I don’t think so, you have been beaten properly by 2 teams that look like top 4 sides, Spurs along with Everton and a few others are the might snatch 4th brigade odds on for Europe hope for a good FA cup draw.

Spending £100m is not a good way to build a good team in 1/2 a season.

spursn17
    Free Member

Not sure about Tim Sherwood taking over, although he’s been in the frame for a long while, No1 son saw him being very friendly with Joe Lewis on his yacht when it was moored near Tower Bridge a while back.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Glen Hoddle have a go on a probationary basis, the squad we have now are better than he had last time.

Other than him I could see Laudrup fitting in, but not Cappello, please not Cappello!

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘AVB – coat on a shoogly nail? ( Look away if waiting on the result. )’ is closed to new replies.