Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Avalanche vs Cane Creek
  • stmachreth
    Free Member

Would any of you sell a CCDB Inline (warranty job, has had the upgrades) in order to fund getting a DHX 5 Air fettled by Avalanche?

Just wondering if it’s worth my while.

The CC is fine and really adjustable,maybe a bit worried that it’ll go pop like they were known to.

Heard Avy are awesome, would probably send my fork cartridge off for a revalve at the same time.

poah
    Free Member

no

raybanwomble
    Free Member

No.

I’d be swapping to a DHX2 or an EXT shock.

Getting a DHX5 air fettled is polishing a turd.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve actually had a DHX5c fettled by Avalanche. It was/is fantastic and possibly the main reason I kept riding that bike as long as I did.

Avalanche basically gut the thing and use the shell. What goes in inside bears such little resemblance to the DHX that it’s pointless trying to compare them.

Why did I get it done? Because I had one if their cartridges for my Fox 36Van. It was so good, it really started to show the back end of the bike up. So, had the rear done to match.

I’ve not ridden the CC, so can’t compare directly, but based on my experience, I will always go for a simple shock with a good custom tune over a fancy shock with lots if adjustments. After all, you can only use on bunch of settings at a time.

RickDraper
    Free Member

The CC is fine and really adjustable,maybe a bit worried that it’ll go pop like they were known to.

It will be fine.

kimbers

I had a dhx3 rebuilt by avalanche and it was brilliant.

At the time shipping to & from states was a hassle, but Jake at Sprung does it now.

That said it was quite expensive & I just got a second hand dpx2 which I’m very pleased with for £150; LSC adjustment is very useful

stmachreth
    Free Member

Cheers for the answers.

To be honest, the CC will be plenty good enough if it’s reliable. It’s been great so far. I do love an upgrade though, and a wicked custom shock would tick that box, if it were better than the CC. My old DHX was set up well, and by no means the turd many would claim.

Still going to send the damper from my Vengeance off eventually.

squirrelking
    Free Member

At the time shipping to & from states was a hassle, but Jake at Sprung does it now.

Nope, they are no longer importers but will provide servicing and backup for existing kit.

http://www.avalanchesuspension.co.uk/

Northwind

It depends a bit on the bike I think- if the CC suits the bike it’s in it’ll do you great, it’s just that there was a big spell when they were the New Hotness and people were throwing them into anything without thinking very much about anything other than advertising.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I had an Avy Pike and DHX5.0 combo on my old Nicolai and nothing touched them for performance.

What size shock do you run stmachreth?

sargey

Slight thread hijack op, I have a cc db air Cs that is losing a little air between rides, pump it up and its fine for a two hour ride.
    If I get it serviced is it a no brainer to get the upgrade?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

It’s easy to get a custom tune wrong, you should never buy a custom shock with little adjustability unless you’ve already ridden the stock shock and know what you are looking for. Steve at vorsprung has mentioned so etching so ilar, set up your shock first and then think about what it is you want done differently.

Really, an avy’d DHX air is still going to have the crappy air spring and it’s going to cost you.

If you really want a custom tuned montotube damper get an EXT Stotia HBC or even the ARMA. At least then you have some adjustability around the base tune you get given and a service centre in the UK

stmachreth
    Free Member

It’s a Rocket 275, so they were sold together. I bought the frame for the frame, and my only concern is that the CC used to keep blowing up. It’s been great though, no issues.

Yetiman, it’s 200×57.

Cheers rayban, I’ll bear them in mind but will just keep riding for a while, spent plenty of money this winter!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Avalanche vs Cane Creek’ is closed to new replies.