Avalanche Downhill Racing box of goodies

Home Forum Bike Forum Avalanche Downhill Racing box of goodies

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Avalanche Downhill Racing box of goodies
  • messiah

chakaping – I’m 185-190lbs with kit; with the standard 55 Ti spring I get 30% sag so spot on and it feels right. I love the plushness of the 55 and up until trying an Avalanche tuned fork it was my favourite feeling fork.

Where I found the 55 wallowy is on hard braking and low speed tech when I’m hard on/off the brakes; the fork feels more divey and wallowy compared with the more damped/controlled feeling of my 36 (conversely the 36 never feels as good/smooth as the 55 at speed). When I tried to dial out the dive/wallow with the 55’s adjusters and/or pre-load I lost much of the high speed plushness which I love about the fork. Similar with the 36; trying to improve the high end plushness lead to losing the controlled feeling and made the fork feel worse. Too many compromises at either end to get the feeling I wanted… hence chatting to Craig and getting the Avalanche cartridge.

My ideal fork would have the low speed composure of a Fox 36 and the high speed plushness of the 55… a bit like a Bos Deville (without the service problems etc)… which is what the Avalanche Tuned 36 has (and probably the 55 now). Of the two in standard trim I would take a standard 55 plushness over the 36 control (assuming the shock has the same feeling).

When I bought the Avy kit I should have gone for the 55 Avy cartridge but the weightweenie in me wanted to try the 36 to save 250g… a saving which doesn’t exist as my fork gained 150g from going closed cartridge RC2 to open bath Avy (only 100g between them now) 🙄 . I really like the Avy 36. its not quite as plush as the 55 but it does not dive and wallow and is super-smooth at speed like the 55. I prefer the Avy 36 to the standard 55… next will be to see which I prefer of the Avy 55 vs the Avy 36 😀

The Revelation Team fork in isolation is not a bad performing fork and I thought I had it set up quite well; but jumping from the Avy 36 shows it is comprehensively outclassed. Compared to the 36 it feels like the fork is over-stiff and over-damped. I feel I’m constantly fighting and correcting the fork to keep the bike on the trail… its fun, but it would be even more fun with a better fork. On my hardtail I like to ride the fork and let the back end do it’s thing, but with the Revelation up front I’m finding I’m doing the opposite and hanging off the back to limit what I throw the fork at… it’s bugging me. I used to run the 36 Float on this bike with a 30mm travel reducer and I much preferred it with that fork on… so I’m going to do that again, and I’m sure it’s going to be brilliant with Avy 36 on the front.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Well you’ve clearly thought about this a bit 😉

I’ve not noticed that from my 55, but the back end of my bike has been particularly wallowy (shock just been tuned) so I’ve put any unsettling movements at slow speed down to that.

Yeah nothing beats the way the 55 feels fast over rocks – like a hot knife through butter.

rotten

Much prefer my 55s over talas 36s, but I too find them a bit soft for the slower techy stuff. Went over the bars twice on my first ride! I need to spend a bit of time faffing but this Avy cartridge review has got me thinking.

messiah

The Avalanched 55’s are forking awesome on it. It was good with the 36’s but with 55’s back on I can see that the ballance was not right with the fork not feeling as plush even when run at low enough pressures to cause other problems. With the 55 back on the front hunkers down and grips like the back… but without the brake dive and wallow these forks had before fitting the Avalanche cartridge. The fork damping is now much more controlled although it has kept the Marzocchi trademark plushness; it feels brilliant.

My bike now feels very ballanced in the way the suspension works and it is the best set up I’ve ridden for tech and speed.

I’ve reduced the travel on my 36’s to 130mm and put them on my hardtail where they feel amazing again… perhaps there is an issue with my 36 fork that having run it in 130mm for a year it didn’t like going back up to 160mm (worn stantions)???

Premier Icon Rusty Mac
    Subscriber

Love the bike geekery and the write up on the AVA stuff.

What would happen if you kashima’d the 36’s?

messiah

I’m pretty sure the older 2010 forks cannot use the Kashima stanchions. Mojo only offer it as an upgrade for the 2011 onwards… I think the threads at the top are different (but I could be wrong).

New stanchions are probably required for them. They have had a hard life and there are some deep gauges that have been repaired. Depending on what I do hardtail wise I’ll probably have to replace the stanchions/CSU as they have a 1.5″ steerer… which is fine in my Mmmbop; which is a tad on the small side so I’m on the lookout for something else.

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

I now see what you mean when you said you had a whole thread on your Avy stuff…I vaguely remember seeing this a few months ago 🙂

LoCo

I’m pretty sure the older 2010 forks cannot use the Kashima stanchions. Mojo only offer it as an upgrade for the 2011 onwards… I think the threads at the top are different (but I could be wrong).

Pre 2011 36s can be Kashima’d but you do need to change the top caps, which can be pricey depending on spring system, if you were fitting the Avy stuff maybe not such an issue though.

Quite tempted to get some of their stuff to play with 😉

messiah

Geekery update 😉

The reason my Fox 36 was feeling a bit poorly was the air side had some dirty oil and gunk in it (could it have injested some of the lubricating oil from the lower leg?). With the air chamber cleaned out the fork is now super smooth and performing brilliantly on my hardtail. The fork oil in the damper side was very clean when I serviced the fork.

After the Trans-Savoie week long big mountain enduro race both the DHX shock and the 55 fork were in need of some attention. The rear shock was still performing well but making some squishing noises. The battering of the TS race and a summers worth of riding had pushed some air into the oil so a service by a suspension tuner was required (I used a local guy). Craig did warn me about this and its a risk with any air shock which is worked hard; and why air shocks are best serviced more frequently than coil shocks. After the service the shock is working brilliantly once more.

The 55 fork had gone a bit notchy and I was expecting there to be a problem with the seals or the oil; but when I popped the seals all was clean below? The problem was the wrap on the coil which had come apart and was jamming the coil in the leg. I stripped the fork completely to remove all the damaged coating and found the oil in the damper side to be lovely and clean (as with the 36). A little research later and I bought some heatshrink to re-wrap the coil and rebuild the fork (if you miss out the heatshrink on the coil the fork is rather noisy as the spring rattles about in the leg – I’ve also posted about this on a Marz 55 thread somewhere). I’ve greased up the spring and wrap more this time so hopefully it won’t happen again (for another three years). The 55 is now super smooth and performing brilliantly once more… and I now know to keep a better eye on the spring leg to make sure the spring wrap is in good condition

I’m thinking about a new bike for 2014 (Nicolai Ion 16 is top of the list) and I’m tempted to go for 27.5 but that would mean new forks like 34’s or Pike’s (although I could run smaller tyres which will fit in my 36’s and 55’s).

I see Avy are now doing kits for Fox Float X & RP23 shocks, and all Fox 34 forks. Food for thought for my next purchase as I’ve been really impressed with the Avy kit I have been using.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Avalanche Downhill Racing box of goodies’ is closed to new replies.