Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • AV Receiver advice please
  • vmgscot

My ancient Sony STR-KSL40 AV receiver is playing up (losing signal on any of the digital inputs) so time to replace, me thinks. Been a while so would appreciate any advice or suggestions from knowledgeable sorts.

Budget is absolute max £300 but ideally nearer £200 end so entry level and am happy with older models or wait for upcoming sales. I will keep my 5.1 wired speakers (pair of old Mission 761 and rest are from the Sony kit including active base)

I think I need the following essentials…

2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output (for Samsung smart TV)
    Analog input to take my Projekt turntable pre-amp (line-level output)
    Possibly an opto-in for the TV but unsure if the signal from TV can feed back into receiver via the HDMI?
    Some way to listen to radio – currently this is an inbuilt tuner in the Sony but I think moving to some sort of Internet system or even linking my android smartphone to the receiver and using apps would work fine for me (and allow access to the library on the phone).

Also, my current system performs some sort of upscalling of 2 channel audio to use all 5.1 speakers – would be nice to have still.

TheFlyingOx

https://www.hificonfidential.co.uk/yamaha-rx-v481d-musiccast-av-receiver-with-dab-dab-titanium

I don’t have that exact one but it’s similar. I moved up from an old Cambridge Audio receiver that threw its hand in. The Yamaha has a great sound, probably helped by the automagic audio setup thing it does with the supplied microphone. Every kind of input you could need and the MusicCast  functionality is brilliant.

Cougar

1) Go to richersounds.com

3) In the filters, choose Brand / Yamaha

4) … profit?

Cheapest is the RX-V483 at £250.  Far as I can tell it does everything you want and much more.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/av-receivers/yamaha-rxv483-black.html

You’re welcome.

Cougar

1) Go to richersounds.com

2) Choose Home Cinema / AV Receivers

3) In the filters, choose Brand / Yamaha

4) … profit?

Cheapest is the RX-V483 at £250.  Far as I can tell it does everything you want and much more.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/av-receivers/yamaha-rxv483-black.html

You’re welcome.

akeys001
    vmgscot

Thanks, that Yamaha 483 certainly does look like it’ll do the job so i’ll see if the price moves any in the sales although current cost is within my budget anyway.

Cougar

I’m a big, big fan of Yamaha receivers.  Accept no substitute. (-:

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve got a slightly older version of that Yamaha.  Does the job, DAB included, Airplay from Apple, Spotify direct.

It’s very plasticy but that’s what you get at that sort of price and you’ll nearly always use the remote.

I can’t imagine you’ll et it much cheaper – it’s already nearly half price.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Another erect thumb for Yamaha receivers.

I’ve just bought an RS202 and for £200 it’s ridiculously good. Great amp, bluetooth (so I can play Spotify from my tablet) and a really nice DAB radio.

vmgscot

The DAB tuner on some models (inc older 481 mentioned previously) did look interesting but DAB signal seems pants here in this particularly exotic part of Ayrshire, Scotland

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>Don’t tell me, you’re on a repeater? We get ours from Rothesay thanks to the hills. I’ve accepted DAB is not going to be a thing for me.</p>

alanf
    Free Member

I’ve got a Denon, AVR-X something or other – cannot fault it at all

Cougar

For context,

I bought an RX-V595 circa 2000.  At the time I auditioned every receiver and speaker combination in Richer, and the Yamaha battered the lot of them.  It provided ten years’ flawless service, the only reason I ended up replacing it was because HDMI was becoming ubiquitous (and my existing cabling was getting increasingly silly, I swapped an entire carrier bag full of interconnects for a handful of HDMI cables).

The successor I bought was the RX-V467 and that’s been equally perfect for the last eight years, my only complaint is that it’s only got 4 HDMI ports and I could really do with more.  But really that’s my fault rather than a failing of the amp.  If and when this needs replacing it’ll be with another Yam unless something exceptional comes along, and I can’t see that happening any time soon.  It doesn’t support 4K because HDMI 2.0 didn’t exist when I bought it, but I don’t overly care about 4K.  Maybe if I were to go buy a TV the size of an IMAX… (-:

isto
    Free Member

Agree with the Yamaha suggestions. If you go to the top of your budget I believe you can get a Dolby Atmos Yamaha (or Sony) receiver that will upscale the sound to a good standard and also cope with Dolby Atmos should you ever fancy it in the future.

nosedive
    Free Member

I just bought a yamaha 2 channel network reciever. Its very good. If you happen to feel flush when you go to richer sounds the dali speakers for around £200 are amazing for the money

CountZero

Demon and Pioneer do receivers in the £2-300 range that might be worth having a look at, Denton have a long history of decent budget audio kit.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘AV Receiver advice please’ is closed to new replies.