Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • autocad experts
  • revs1972
    Free Member

Hi,
    I have been sent an autocad 3d model ? of some structural steel.
    I want to convert each of the beams into 1 single line ( ideally the centreline of the beam). I do not really know how autocad works and when i zoom in the is not a centreline within the beam section, only the lines that make up its edges (hopefully you follow).
    Is this something that can be done ?
    i can get access to autocad 2007 to do this (if it is possible)
    Thanks

kevj
    Free Member

Hmm. Sounds like this is a genuine 3D model and not a series of drawn lines to depict the flange and web.

Do you need your version to be in 3D too or do you wash to work from a flattened 2D model?

ask1974
    Free Member

From my experience if it can be done AutoCAD will do it, but if you don’t know your way around AutoCAD you might as well go bang your head against a wall; it’ll be more fun.

Most unintuitive software I’ve seen… You really need a lesson or two.

takisawa2

Email me the model & I’ll have a look for you.
    Address in profile.

Clobber
    Free Member

If there is not a centreline through the beams already you will have to add it to every beam. There could be a layer of centrelines which is simply turned off. Turn all your layers on, you may just then have to turn the beam layer off.

revs1972
    Free Member

Yeah, my head hurts from banging it on the wall.
    I should learn how to use it really, but can’t afford to buy it.
    I used to use a program called choicecad. Simple as you like !!
    I turned off the layers and didn’t see any layers for a centreline. So how does 3d autocad work then?
    Do you select a beam profile and pick 2 points it goes between ? Does that beam then have properties ( i.e beam size / length etc). Could you select all parts in a 3d model and produce a list of beams (like what you could do in 3d detailing software like Strucad.
    Any thoughts

revs1972
    Free Member

Thanks Takisawa2
    Have emailed the 3d model to you

takisawa2

revs, there were a lot of layers. All locked. The beams types are each on their own layer. There is a red layer called Centrelines, & one called Wireframe thats some of the centrelines also.
    I’ve saved it with them all unlocked & sent it back to you. Let me know if you need owt else. Cheers.

revs1972
    Free Member

Many thanks
    I am out and about at present, but will take a look as soon as I get home.
    Thank you for your help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘autocad experts’ is closed to new replies.