Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 209 total)
  • AUSUK?
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

Yeah, right. Global Britain. World superpower. Can’t even wipe it’s own arse.

Can anyone “wipe their own arse” these days?

vinnyeh

It’s Pauline Hanson. Imagine the love child of Nigel Farage and Sarah Palin, but with neither’s intellect or guile.

tjagain

I did rather laugh at the clip of Hansen. a really nasty mix of racist and dimwitted

thols2

Good God, Pauline Hanson is a bit of a thicko isn’t she.
    Hanson: “Is it true that pumpjets can only stay under water for 20 minutes?”
    Admiral: No Senator, I do not know what you’re referring to about pumpjet submarines only remaining underwater for 20 minutes. (rolls eyes)

TheDTs
    Free Member

So Aus decide the security in the Pacific is going to need a Better deterrent than the one they thought they needed. They go off shopping again as the parameters have changed since they last looked about. Look at an offer from two existing allies with a tried and tested offering and decide that’s a goer. The french option was probably overlooked from the start as they didn’t like the deal they had with the previous offer. They did this quietly as it’s never a great way to do a national security / arms deal in public.
    Now I’m sure they were met with open arms from the US / UK delegation but that is hardly surprising. What were they supposed to do? say sorry not talking to you Bruce you’ve got to speak to the French.
    I thing it’s in all of our interests that Aus have a good deterrent.

piemonster

The deterioration that has us operating in the Sahel providing critical capabilities to the French, putting UK lives risk every day……

Yes. HTH

Really cant see why you’d view that as binary tbh, working relationships can improve and degrade frequently without resorting to on/off. Bit of a weird way of viewing the world if you ask me.

Do I think itll have a major long term impact, no, but only because I view it as one thing among many. I’m fully expecting a general drift away from Europe for a while now.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Let me be clear, Australia is not seeking to acquire newkiller weapons, or establish a civil newkiller capability and we will continue to meet all our newkiller non-proliferation obligations

So much for newkiller war. But the big Anglo Alliance is also a great media vehicle to ‘stick it to the Chinese and the French/EU’, all in one feel swoop.

What did Andrew Neil say? To paraphrase: ‘Big Chinese check books were/are funding our ‘remainer’ universities, trying to get us to see through Chinese eyes…’

thols2

tjagain

thols2 – that was obvious – its a calculated snub. ” we don’t care enough about you to take action”

big_n_daft
    Free Member

thols2 – that was obvious – its a calculated snub. ” we don’t care enough about you to take action”

This is like Schrödinger’s relationship, it’s massive damage to a key alliance and close working on strategic issues, and at the same time they don’t really care about the UK

tjagain

Yes its further serious damage to a strained relationship and yes its a deliberate snub to Johnson – probably too subtle for him as it seems to be to you

The UK is now seen as a minor annoyance to be ignored not a useful partner

tjagain

So when the UK next asks for favours from france as they have been doing for years do you think the French will be more or less likely to be co operative after this?

argee

tjagain
    So when the UK next asks for favours from france as they have been doing for years do you think the French will be more or less likely to be co operative after this?

You’ll have to tell me what favours we’ve asked for or will require, from my understanding, we import more from France than they do from us, especially in defence, we have many good relationships with the French, some i’ve witnessed with my job and trips to France.

The French government just now are struggling to gain support with an upcoming election next year, this decision by Australia undermines them in the press and gives the opposition more ammunition to hit them with in the run up to the election, i’d say it’s more political as usual.

timbo46
    Free Member

The UK would not be getting anything from Macron anyway with an election next year. he knows that the French would vote for Frexit given the opportunity, look how Barnier is positioning himself for a run at the Elysee.
    The Australians have been questioing the deal since 2017, probably met with a gallic shrug.
    The deal also includes Tomahawk cruise missiles.
    The French yards have 20 years of orders from other countries so unemployment is not an issue apart from the Australians alredy working there.

tjagain

Oh dear

Patel was just a week or two ago asking them to do more on the boat migrants.

Thats just one example

AS France are one of the major influences on the EU and we keep on wanting to “renegotiate” tbhe brexit treaty we need their good will

Most of our EU trade comes thru France – both ways. We keep asking them for help with our own created eff ups

Thats just 3 examples off the top of my head

Do you really think the french government will be more likely to co operate now? they have bent over backwards to accomodate us. No longer

Its clear from the snub they have altered their attitude from trying to be co operative and helpful to ” sod ’em, not worth worrying about

BTW – they do NOT need us more than we need them

timbo46
    Free Member

Living in France, I can assure you that the French have absalutly no interest in stopping the boat migrants.
    You think the UK is racist? they are on a completely different level.
    Can you give an example of the French bending over backwards to accomodate the UK?

TheDTs
    Free Member

But the snub was the Australians not the uk! We’re we supposed to turn them down! Jobs, investment, security. If it turned out Boris had said jog in Australia get your subs elsewhere he would have been thanked by the unions for his strong moral compass and thoughtful insight in EU politics?

tjagain

Can you give an example of the French bending over backwards to accomodate the UK?

spending huge sums on all the infrastructure to allow cross channel trade to continue. they have all the stuff in place, we have none. they worked really hard to streamline trade across the channel.

tjagain

The DTs – we will not get significant jobs out of this – we have very little to contribute. Reactors are US, etc etc and its going to be built in Aus

timbo46
    Free Member

Where is that, I haven’t seen it whilst crossing at calais?

TheDTs
    Free Member

That will be why these guys are happy then…
    Rolls Royce, BAE, Babcock

tjagain

Jeepers you guys have really bought the brexit / tory lies on all this

TheDTs
    Free Member

Or just a different view to you TJ.

tjagain

To say that the french have not worked hard and got all the facilities in place for cross channel trade while we have not is simply wrong. We cannot put the checks in place because we do not have the facilities. they have them all in place

to say we are not asking for french co operation over migrants is again – simply wrong

kimbers

Patel was just a week or two ago asking them to do more on the boat migrants.

Yep, Patels requests for help will be laughed off

The French are pissed off that this deal was set up behind their backs, I’m sure they’ll calm down and relations will be reset, but they’ll be wondering what else we’re (& usa, aus) not telling them.

UK is also desperate to get NIP rewritten, with years of delicate brexit negotiations still to go on services, finance, energy markets, fishing….

chewkw
    Free Member

AUSUK is the absolute right move, no ifs or buts.

For those of you that objects you live in a fantasy world. You will find no amount of media from that region about Chinese involvement (influence in regional politics in a commies way and massive bribery) as the information are generally kept secret by corrupted politicians. Guess why forest the size of Belgium is being destroy to cultivate oil palm? Who are consuming them?

The way Chinese commies are going sooner or later there will be no more forest in Asia. Yes, you lot talking big about carbon emission etc or going green, you can talk green until your face turn blue it makes little impact if there is no more forest left in Asia. In the far east the race is to deforest as fast as they can to feed Chinese commies demand in palm oil. China will then boost about their green credentials of using environmental friendly oil and the you lot in the west will lap it up in an instant.

As a person coming from that region France’s influence in Asia is negligible or even laughable, but the respect for UK is there even when UK just a tiny island by comparison to France or EU.

As for France and EU, their action is rather predictable acting like the U-boat wolf pack trying to encircle UK or to create as much troubles as they could etc …

kimbers

I think you’ll find brexit Britain has done a brilliant job of isolating itself from its neighbours

kelvin

acting like the U-boat wolf pack

I might get a ban for making this personal, but you are stain on this forum that drives people away.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Guess why forest the size of Belgium is being destroy to cultivate oil palm? Who are consuming them?

You tell me? In order of consumption in metric tonnes: Indonesia, India, China, EU27, the World…? That doesn’t change the fact that up to 50% of all products in UK and US supermarkets contain palm oil. I can only assume it’s a global issue and related to pricing and population, ignorance and couldn’t-care-less rather than to some peculiarly Indonesian nationalistic fervour for burning rain forests and orang-utans?

So answer me this, is maths your strong point?

Palm oil consumption in the countries of the EU-27 amounted to approximately 7.1 million metric tons in 2020. 447.7 million people.

Palm oil imports to China amounted to approximately 6.2 million metric tons in 2020. 1.4 billion people.

(Source: Statista)

Can you tell me how much palm oil China consumed per head vs the EU?

kimbers

So the Nutella in my cupboard contains palm oil, coz…… communist China? 😳

kelvin

At least palm free peanut butter is easy to get now. And it’s tastier. Not the big USA brands though. Is that because of China?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I might get a ban for making this personal, but you are stain on this forum that drives people away.

Seconded.

kelvin

So the Nutella in my cupboard contains palm oil

Switch…

Palm free

Sorry for joining in the irrelevant side step. Someone please get the thread back on track if they can…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Good God, Pauline Hanson is a bit of a thicko isn’t she.

Indeed she is, being seen on a high profile committee is more important to Hanson’s career than bothering to read her brief properly, even after eight minutes of having the difference between propulsion and power generation being carefully explained, she still doesn’t know what a pump-jet is.

Hanson makes Nadine Dorries look intellectually competent. Xenophobia and weapons grade stupidity seems to go hand in glove.

dyna-ti

At least palm free peanut butter is easy to get now. And it’s tastier.

And I thought the argument was Crunchy ?, or Smooth ?.
    How naive I have been 🙁

PJM1974
    Free Member

Can you tell me how much palm oil China consumed per head vs the EU?

Careful, when confronted with fact based questioning that might throw light on this particular forumite’s selective opinion, the usual response is some form of non-sequitur.

p7eaven
    Free Member

the usual response is some form of non-sequitur.

I’m quite happy for anyone else to do the maths should chewkw not show honour. Mine was not a rhetorical question.

These are the figures I got? Would be pleased for someone to check them (and, if so pleased, also convert to a more legible weight 😎)

Palm oil consumption per capita (in million metric tonnes) in 2020 was:

China: 0.00442857142
    EU27: 0.01585883404

chewkw
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

Delete (was trying to insert link but did not work)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 209 total)

The topic ‘AUSUK?’ is closed to new replies.