• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by colp.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Austrian Police, Security and Foresters fine MTB Cyclists €360
  • rickmeister

Maybe want to rethink your Austrian MTB holiday plans?

Well known for having the most aggressive anti-cycling legislation, police, private security and foresters are working to fine bikers on forest trails…..

The article states the event on April 1st, but this is an official circulation from groups trying to open up access to restricted areas and April 1st doesn’t have the same connotations here… its genuine.

Article. There is a translate option.
    https://www.facebook.com/upmovemtb/photos/a.144546178917953.17593.132461910126380/1439105026128722/?type=3&theater

devash
    Free Member

If you ride in a restricted area and you know it is restricted then you take the risk I guess.

rickmeister

So thats pretty much “Austria” then devash

These incidents are taking place in forests open to all other public user groups.

MoreCashThanDash

So campaign to change the law?

hammerite
    Free Member

It’s not pretty much the whole of Austria. There’s lots of places where you’re permitted to ride and cycling is welcomed. However, Austrians are fairly protective of their forests, so you’re not allowed to ride everywhere. In the same way that there are loads of areas that you’re not allowed to ski off-piste between the trees – doesn’t mean it isn’t allowed at all.

nealglover
    Free Member

So thats pretty much “Austria” then devash

Total cobblers.

I lived in Austria for almost 10 years, and knew where I could ride (loads) and where I couldn’t (some)
    Oddly enough I totally avoided fines by knowing this, and sticking to it. And it really wasn’t that difficult.

colp

It depends on the area, Tirol are really pushing MTB, and are a lot more flexible. Salzburgerland are still very restrictive, they pretty much want you in the bike parks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Austrian Police, Security and Foresters fine MTB Cyclists €360’ is closed to new replies.