• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by colp.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Austria Tirol / Italy Dolomites – must do trails?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I was hoping to find a guiding company offering some uplifted but more backcountry stuff in these areas (think Bike Village or Bike Verbier type riding) but seem to have drawn a blank.

Can people recommend some good, natural trails in these areas? I’m happy with a map and gps navigating and climbing is fine.

I’ve ridden for a few days in Solden, which was good, but mostly bike park stuff. And a little bit around Canazi – Sella Ronda and a day in the park there.

We’ve got a few weeks in the area and so far only have a few days in Leogang booked, so are pretty flexible. The Big 5 in Leogang / Saalbach looks like a good day (even if mostly park). There must be some great footpath riding in Mayrhofen, Zillertal , Kitzbuhel, Ischgl etc – even if the Austrians arent as pro-bike as the Swiss.

Thanks

hot_fiat

The thing you run into in Austria is the 2m rule. In the zillertal there are very few trails that you’re allowed to use that aren’t essentially fire roads. The DH run under the main lift in Zell Am Ziller is awesome though.

Most of the lifts don’t take bikes either, so everyone and their dog has an e-bike – particularly in Mayrhofen where you can get up the Penkenbahn and the Kombibhan but nowhere else with a bike.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Solden aside, i haven’t found much in the Tirol worth repeated visits – it’s so restrictive. Italy is much more relaxed for riding and the Cortina/Falzarego area keeps me going back, likely as it’s not swamped with mtb riders so those that visit are more welcome. I say this even though i much prefer the Teutonic culture in general more than the Latin… I plan to check out more of the South Tirol when i can.

andykentos
    Free Member

A few spots i would recommend, the trail above blindsee is beautiful, stunning scenery. Not particularly hard but worth a ride. Also do a day in Nauders in Reschen, then you can drop down into Italy and do a few days in Vinschgau.

I live in Oetz at the start of Oetztal and know a few other trails in the area if you need some more info, where are you based for the 2 weeks or are you just driving around?

bigwill
    Free Member

Be prepared to get ranted at by very angry Austrians if you start riding footpaths. It’s a real shame as you walk trails that make you itch to ride them on a bike. The big 5 as above are the closest to a good days trail riding, the rest is very park.

Italy are much more relaxed about where you can ride, but I’ve not ridden this area.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Hi Andy, we’re on a 10 week road trip, so really flexible. We’ll go to Solden again, so any tips are appreciated.

The tourist websites are glossy and seem to promote biking, but end up selling hotel rooms and ebikes more than recommending trails.

I’m used to riding in Chamonix, so can deal with a little rambler agro

Selled
    Free Member

I live in the Tirol, the singletrail is endless here. You need local knowledge, don’t rely on the tourist routes for it. You need to search the Austrian and German sites to find the trails

It is not limited, locals don’t get angry when cycling on footpaths if you show some respect.

Checkout the Stoneman in the Dolomites, last time I looked the site was only in Italian, I needed Google translate.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Selled – any routes in Austria that you can share please?

alpin
    Free Member

In no particular order, other than being worth a visit:

Paganella bike park overlooking Lago di Molveno – plenty of lift assisted riding.

Canazei. You’ve been there, but it’s good.

Kronplatz. Essentially just the trails, but two of them you can spend all day perfecting (over 1000 vertical metres).

Bozen/Bolzano. Beautiful old town with lift assisted riding.

Reschensee/Nauders. Worth a few days. Mix of natural and shaped lift assisted.

Vinschgau. Lots to ride, but lots of climbing, too. A few shuttle Co’s.

Latamar Runde. Big mountain, the Latamar. Bit like the Big 5,but in natural trails. Not far from Canazei.

All of those are on the Italian side.

You’ve only to look at Trailforks and compare Austria to Italy to realise how crap Austria is for riding. Bavarian alps are just as bad. So much potential, but slow to catch up. If you ask at the tourist office the mtb that is being peddled is stuck in the 90’s.

MrTricky
    Free Member

I’m planning on bikepacking from Innsbruck over to Italy…..what is the 2m rule? any other restrictions I should be aware of r.e riding and wild camping?

Selled
    Free Member

Definetly happy to help, but only if you’re happy to climb (which you said you are).

I can send you a load of GPX routes, that’s probably the easiest.

Feel free to PM me, email in profile.

rickmeister

2m is here also, and in some cases, 3m. It’s basically a restriction on cycles on trails under 2 or 3 m wide and I think in Austria, it includes some fire roads. I think this is due to legal liability of the landowner, alpin / selled will be wiser on this I’m sure.

Our area of Germany Baden wurtemburg still has the two metre rule. It’s the last “shire” in Germany to give it up. We still ride trails and singletrack and 95% of people we meet are great but we do get told the law by the die hards. Smile a lot, be patient with walkers, stop and wait, get a first strike “hallo” and in the main, it’s ok. Rule 1 definitely applies… I do think Austria is up a couple of notches on the aggro with some big fines for bikers reported. Italy is indeed more relaxed.

Selled
    Free Member

I have not heard of the 2m / 3m rule before. We don’t have any issue here. HOWEVER, I think I know what you are talking about with the fines. In the area above Innsbruck they had quite an issue with people riding on footpaths. They had quite a clamp down on it and did fine some people. On a summers evening the whole of Innsbruck seems to go for a ride or a walk so they have quite a lot of people, especially with the popularity of ebikes. Away from Innsbruck you often don’t even meet anyone on the trails and when you do, like you mentioned, you just need to be polite to them.

colp

The Austrian Tourism minister recently came up with a new slogan “You like it? Bike it” so I’m hoping they’re catching on and loosening up the rules a bit

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Austria Tirol / Italy Dolomites – must do trails?’ is closed to new replies.