Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Audio Cable Help
  • letmetalktomark

Hi All,

My Google fu is weak this morning 🙁

I need some help regarding audio cables – specifically toslink (fnar, fnar)

I have my iMac connected to my amp via a mini toslink cable like this albeit longer:

The 3.5mm headphone adapter (single) is also a digital out.

Now my amp doesn’t have a headphone out:

🙁

So swapping to headphones is more of a faff than it should be ( poor me I know )

So I’ve been looking for a solution and the simplest seems to be a 3.5mm toslink splitter although these don’t seem to exist!

I could forgo the digital bit – and use a decent 3.5mm audio splitter but would rather not.

USB to audio out would be possible.

Any thoughts?

traildog
    Free Member

I don’t understand. You seem to be wanting some sort of digital to analogue headphones cable without any digital to analogue converter inbetween?

Hopefully someone will come along who understands what you mean better…

MtbRoutes

I don’t know what you’re asking either, but toslink is optical – nothing to do with 3.5mm.

Is the 3.5mm ‘adaptor’ you mention actually an S/PDIF output?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

use your current cable into one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-TosLink-Digital-Optical-Splitter/dp/B002AL4XTG

then a pair of toslink cables.  One to your current amp, another to something like this for your headphones

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XHRYW2C?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_img

(even easier,  you could just connect straight to the second unit and take analogue from that to your current amp –  I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between one D-A converter and another, particularly if you’re playing mp3s or any other compressed audio file).

spooky_b329

I’ve had a device with a combined 3.5mm Jack/optical output.

I don’t think you’ll get a splitter for the optical output as the light loss would be well over 50%. (Split two ways plus leakage)

Edit: I stand corrected, although I suspect the link above is a repeater as it’s got a power supply. However it won’t have a 3.5mm analogue output for headphones.

zokes
    Free Member

Lateral thinking: Bluetooth headphones?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Audio Cable Help’ is closed to new replies.