• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by nickc.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Audio book apps
  • lunge

I’m fancying listening to some books whilst out for a walk.
    Audible seems to be the most popular app, but Apple Books seems well regarded as well.
    What do others use?

Cougar

What’s your source?

I just used to use my default media player (Poweramp) but then I started getting books specifically in an audiobook format so switched to Player FM. Both of those for local files though, they’re not a streaming service.

lunge

What’s your source?

I don’t have one.
    At the moment I buy books from a book shop.
    The app will be on an iPhone.

nickc

I use Audible. Have a sub for 24 books a year for £100 (ish),  and my local library. They use Borrowbox. You have to wait for new titles, but they’re free and your supporting the library.

z1ppy

The audible app is fine for playing their audiobooks, no better if worse than using Apple Books app

johnners
    Free Member

I just use Podcast Addict, it’s handy for driving because I can mix audiobook chapters in with podcasts in a playlist for a bit of variety. I expect any podcast app will do the same. I only borrow books from the library though, I don’t have an Audible subscription.

ji
    Free Member

Smart audio book player. Works on local content, but can be set to pause playback after so many minutes of the phone not moving (so ideal for falling asleep and not losing your place) and the sensitivity can be tweaked as well (so it doesn’t go to sleep whilst driving for example as the movement of the car can keep it awake).

I just rip the audible files to an MP3 and transfer – works brilliantly. Am on android, so not sure if available on IoS

scruff9252

My local library uses Overdrive

footflaps

NB You can use OpenAudible to convert audio books into just about any format…..

I use the Audible App, it’s OK – slightly annoying UI, but it works.

flyingmonkeycorps

Try your local library? Ours has a pretty decent selection, they use BorrowBox.

mrdestructo

Simple ABP, if on Android.

manton69

Another vote for Borrow Box from the local library. It’s free and there is an astounding range on there, kind of just like the library. You already pay for this service, so why pay somebody again for the same thing?

nickc

You already pay for this service, so why pay somebody again for the same thing?

I use borrowbox, but the range is limited, there’s very few new audiobooks get released to it straight away, and there’s often a waiting list for popular stuff

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.