Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Audi A4 Avant – 2004
  • warton
    Free Member

we ‘need’ a second car. and I need something to fit bikes / kit into for me and my two boys, and wife as we spend more time outdoors.

we have a newish golf, which my wife uses during the week. I need something to use maybe once a week during the week, and for fairly regular trips to races etc at the weekend.

I’ve seen a Audi A4 estate, 2004, 60k, 2.0l petrol. £2.5k

yes or no? anything obvious to watch out for?

jonnyboi

rear legroom is very poor.

Sundayjumper

I’d also question if it’s really big enough for four bodies + 4 bikes + 4 sets of kit.

A6 bigger, obvs, but the slope of the rear window limits the total volume of the boot. We ended up with a Passat as it’s squarer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    northerntom
    Free Member

I’ve got an 06 plate version of the same car. It’s been great, and it’s on twice the mileage as the above. Not much more space than a large hatchback however. My large 29er full sus needs both wheels off to slide in.

However, I would say there are much newer, cheaper to run cars out there. Focus estate, Astra estate (I know they’re horrendous).

I would likely look at an MPV, something like a Berlingo, you could sleep and change in it at races then as well with the seats out.

momo

I had a 2013 A4 avant which replaced a MkVI Golf, the golf was larger inside!

tillydog
    Free Member

The boot is tiny for the size of car – like an inverse Tardis.

legend
    Free Member

Might be worth a look for a Mondeo estate from around that vintage (or wherever your money gets you). The estates have different rear-suspension that don’t have the same sub-frame bush and handbrake cable issues as the hatch, and were otherwise pretty good alround.

Nearly forgot to mention – MASSIVE inside

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Fitting loads of stuff IN an A4 Avant might be a struggle but then it’ll come with roof rails so easy to fit racks to and the boot is plenty big enough for other ‘stuff’. Of course there are bigger cars out there but assume you’re looking at the A4 and are fully aware of that! Some people simply don’t want something absolutely massive.

Regarding the car, seems good. Silly low miles for a really sensible price. Only downside for me would be that its the 2.0 FSI engine which is meant to be a bit crap – the 1.9 TDI or 1.8T petrol are the engines to go for in the B6 A4. Assume its an SE with that engine as well as I’ve never seen the 2.0 in an S-Line?

warton
    Free Member

thanks all, interesting comments, yes it’s the SE. I would have the bikes on the back when we’re all out, and don’t want something huge. i like the older A4s, it’s a classic design IMO. I may test drive it, see what i think..

ravingdave

is it the CVT auto? My brother has an A$ exactly as you describe, and his has the auto, broken twice, 1st time £1750 bill, 2nd time £750 bill. Also lots on autotrader cheap with a gearbox fault, in general avoid the auto of that generation

warton
    Free Member

ravingdave – it’s an Auto 🙂 I will avoid. Thanks All!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

That’ll explain the low mileage/price then! Its always broken!

As above – avoid the auto box in anything other than the V6 engines which are more reliable I believe in the B6 and B7 shapes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Audi A4 Avant – 2004’ is closed to new replies.