Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Audi 2.5TDI 186k miles cheap…to buy or not to buy??
  • phildowling
    Free Member

Found a lovely Audi A6 going cheap…awesome spec, good condition…been to the moon.

It's got full service history and it's mostly motorway miles. I'll also be using on the motorway. I had a works A4 1.9TDI which had 195k on the clock when i left the company that was FSH and drove really well, and i spotted it the other day still going 4 years on! 🙂

Anyone got a spaceship Audi? I know most diesel engines are now meant to be 200k + now.

Its an Audi A6 Avant 2002 for £2800 🙂

stoney
    Free Member

Buy it……I have a 1998 A6 1.8t with 163k. No probs at all.

hora
    Free Member

Multritronic autobox? Run?

Motorway miles? Ask what area is on the V5 (registered keepers address). Then ring your local Taxi licencing office, give them the reg and ask if its ever been listed as a licenced cab.

Sorry to be a pesimist. 195k motorway miles is fine. convert them to minicab miles and run.

hora
    Free Member

stoner- how are you getting on with the 1.8T? I've looked at a few cars (Skoda) with that engine and was 'worried' about relatively high-miler ones (90k!).

How long have you had the car and what problems have you encountered? Sorry to be negative (above post).

phildowling
    Free Member

3 owners from new, yeah the CVT Autobox. Thanks for the tip Hora. Pretty certain it ain't a mini cab.
    Mechanic owned (which sounds good but my old man was a mechanic and his cars were shite :lol:)

Think its a reasonable bet though

monkeychild
    Free Member

Hora the 1.8t engine is a strong one. Don't be afraid of it 😆

hh45
    Free Member

I imagine servicing an A6 is pretty expensive but Audi / VW diesals do seem to last well over 200,000 miles as evidenced by colleagues and family. My 2002 golf 1.9TDi (120,000 miles) was parked up, outside, for 7 weeks until this week and it started first time. Still does 55 mpg.

hora
    Free Member

Skills Guiding – I have seen the odd diesel A6 as a taxi 8)

boblo
    Free Member

IIRC that engine needs a complex/expensive cambelt (x2) change every 80k. I'd make sure it's had it's last one at 160k or you can add around £500 to the asking price.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I don't disagree with any of the comments – a diesel engine that size will run and run – but £2800 does seem like a lot for a car with that kind of mileage and no warranty. If it had more or less a full year on the tax disc, relatively new tyres and a recent MOT then it I would feel more comfortable about it.

Also call and talk to an Audi dealer and see what the servicing and mechanical issues are likely to be given its mileage. The CVT autobox would be the thing that would give me most concern; if it ever needed fixing/replacing that would be frighteningly expensive.

phildowling
    Free Member

Tax is up end of march but i've dropped him on the asking price, MOT is a concern as it's due end of March.
    Has had belt recently last 20k, New ish tires, has just been serviced. New wheel bearing and disc and pads

boblo
    Free Member

As I said, it's complex. Most people do the other belts/followers/tensioners whilst they are in there and change the water pump as well. It's hours of labour to get to it and quite a straightforward job once you're in (apparently)/

I sold my 2.5 A6 at 66k to avoid any grief and bought a new 2.7 one. Chain driven on the later ones 🙂

Gordy
    Free Member

Would trust the engine okay but seems a bit expensive.

geetee1972
    Free Member

@Skills – yep wheel bearings were the thing that went wrong on my mates older A4 Avant. He also had massive problems with the drive train but that was a 4×4 he had so devestatingly expensive when it goes wrong.
    The best thing to do would be to get it MOTd before you commit to buying it. At least that way you get to know what's immediately wrong with it (if anything) and what might be on a watch list. It's not comprehensive but it's a cheapish way of highlighting the issues.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i've had mileage cars and its not the engine you need to worry about.

Seats can start sagging, and the interior in general starts to fall to pieces. Gearbox can get very worn. wheel bearings might go, shocks and springs will be very worn etc…

phildowling
    Free Member

I've asked him to MOT that car and i'll cover the cost and see how it goes. Only problem would be when he changes the plate over i'll have to re MOT it but at least it will give me a clear view

br
    Free Member

At £1000 and a 12 month ticket it'd be fine, but not at that price.

Have a look at big petrols, while more expensive on juice they're far cheaper to buy and you'll get easily as many miles from one.

Mi16 bought at 115k, sold at 145k – still running past 200k
    3.0 MV6 bought at 65k, sold at 115k
    535i bought at 85k, still got it at 105k – smoothest car ever, still

And don't under-estimate the servicing costs of diesels, my wifes 2.0TD basic service costs twice as much as my 3.5V8 – with the same mechanic

phildowling
    Free Member

100 mile round trip is the issue with the petrols. At the mo i'm running a 2.0 auto Volvo estate and it's a bit rubbish on juice.
    The commute at the mo is short A road stuff and my new commute is all motorway so MPG may improve.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Buy it. I've just sold a 2000 model Allroad 2.5tdi with 120K for £6000.

Don't expect more than 30mpg though.

geoffj

Only problem would be when he changes the plate over i'll have to re MOT it but at least it will give me a clear view

He says in the advert Please note the personalised plate is my own and I will arrange for the transfer of a DVLA “02” plate for the winning bidder.

That would suggest to me that he will pay for the MOT and any work that needs doing.

transporter13
    Free Member

If you're looking for pure economy then the 2.5 is no good….look for the 1.9 pd engine as is more commonly available. Do you have to have an A6 or will a VW Passat be sufficient?(same engines). The BMW 320d is also a very good economical engine if the image doesnt phase you. My main worry about the car is 1) the price….way to high for me for that mileage 2) the gearbox….they do and invariably will stop working at some point, no problem if you dont mind parting with the best part of 6-800 pounds. There are plenty of other makes that produce a perfectly reliable and cheaper diesel engine. the vag 1.8t is a very good if not economical engine(I had my old one remapped with a few add on's running almost 240hp…was lucky to get 35-37mpg..even when standard. The mondeo(mk3) has a pretty good diesel engine (51-02 was tddi, 02> was tdci) and is chain driven so no cambelt changes but if you do decide to go manual, then the biggest headache is the clutch and dmf issue that often arises. how about this?? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201004351258384/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/3000/fuel-type/diesel/model/a6/make/audi/radius/1500/postcode/nn160qj/page/4?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fused%2Fcars%2Faudi%2Fa6%2Fpostcode%2Fnn160qj%2Fradius%2F1500%2Fprice-to%2F3000%2Ffuel-type%2Fdiesel%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc%2Fpage%2F4&logcode=p

boblo
    Free Member

Skills Guiding – Member
    I've asked him to MOT that car and i'll cover the cost and see how it goes. Only problem would be when he changes the plate over i'll have to re MOT it but at least it will give me a clear view

It's a cherished number? If so, the DVLA will update the MOT with the new number when they do the transfer. You won't need to re MOT just cos you've transferred the cherished number off.

<edit> Just read the additonal comment about number transfer. You need a valid MOT to do the transfer so this intimates he will have the car MOT'd before… Best check though now you've offered…

phildowling
    Free Member

Dropped my offer to £2600 and no more. Cheers for the advice.

Transporter13 – Thanks for the link 🙂 Ideally needs to be hatchback or estate upto 3k

phildowling
    Free Member

Ewp Narth really is cheaper then 😥

South Wales based so a bit far for me to travel although both cracking cars 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

176,108 / 182,833

Why have it serviced 6,500 miles after it was last done? – I can't imagine it's cheap
    Probably a straight forward answer – but I'd ask

didmatt
    Free Member

I've got a 1997 A3 1.8 20v with 176k on it and its still goes well! Although it only gets 35-40mpg at the best of times.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

2600 is still too much. The 2.5 is thirsty.

takisawa2

142k Mondeo here. Cheap but the Injector & DMF issues are a worry. Cost me £1.8k Would have had petrol but has to pull a big caravan. Car only does 4k per year. Tried in vain to get a TDDi but minicab drivers discovered them long ago so few decent ones about. Any how, the jist of this OT waffle…chap selling a car we veiwed had a 52 plate 2.5 A6 Estate up at £5.5k, with 120k on clock. Was bloody gorgeous. (the car, not the chap). Chap said he'd had them with 200k plus & no probs. The auto-box would be a killer for me. That could cost you half the car if it fails.
    Local mini cab by me has just sold a TDCi Mondeo with 350k on the clock. My brother-in-law used to drive it sometimes & liked it…!

takisawa2

142k Mondeo here. Cheap but the Injector & DMF issues are a worry. Cost me £1.8k Would have had petrol but has to pull a big caravan. Car only does 4k per year. Tried in vain to get a TDDi but minicab drivers discovered them long ago so few decent ones about. Any how, the jist of this OT waffle…chap selling a car we veiwed had a 52 plate 2.5 A6 Estate up at £5.5k, with 120k on clock. Was bloody gorgeous. (the car, not the chap). Chap said he'd had them with 200k plus & no probs. The auto-box would be a killer for me. That could cost you half the car if it fails.
    Local mini cab by me has just sold a TDCi Mondeo with 350k on the clock. My brother-in-law used to drive it sometimes & liked it…!

Just looked at it on the Ebay link above. Twin electrics means its towed a caravan, & an A6 can lug a BIG caravan, trust me. Auto-box thats towed could be a problem.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Get a Mondeo/Vectra instead. Loads cheaper and more to choose from, and cheaper to repair, fix etc. Although i guess they dont have the same 'image'.

fergusd

I have one, a 2002 pre common rail version, albeit a 6 speed manual/sport version . . . brilliant cars, I've done 100K in mine and it has yet to use a drop of oil, returns 40mpg in mixed driving and perhaps 50 on a long motorway run . . .

The large belts service is costly at a stealer but quite easy to DIY if you have the skills (did mine a month or so ago) – all the tools are available on ebay for not very much, plan on taking a day . . . DIY cost about 150 quid, dealer – anything up to 1000 quid ! . . . 10K oil service, DIY cost is about 40 quid and takes 15 minutes . . .

common issues : corroded rear disks – few cars get enough hard braking to keep them in good nick . . . check that when you press 'auto' on the climate control ONLY the auto button lights up . . . if the 'econ' light comes on and won't go off, there is a problem with the climate control system . . . outer CV joint boots – they do go through them, simple enough and cheap to fix if you catch them in time, look for black grease on the insides of the front wheels/wheel arch/suspension components . . .

Don't let these things put you off . . . all cars have issues, but few people actually know what they are, they just pay through the nose for some yob in an expensive dealership to badly fix . . .

Last audi A6 I had did 350K miles in my ownership and I regret selling it to this day, still on it's original engine, gearbox, exhaust system, driveshafts, wheel bearings, etc, etc, etc . . . in truth I don't think the new one is better . . . but I expect a similar lifecycle from it . . .

namastebuzz
    Free Member

The autobox has been a known problem on these but I did some research on these about a year ago…..

As long as the box hasn't had a problem up 'til now then the car is worth buying.

If you buy it – change the gearbox oil at once and then change it in the future at half the recommended intervals.

I'd rather buy a high quality, high mileage car like this than a newer, cheaper "box".

Free Member

IMO, a good price for a great car. Yes Mondeo's etc are cheaper to service and buy bits for, but thats because you have to buy more bits for them over their lifetime.

Yep, the autobox can be problematic but thats usually the 6spd box as opposed to the 5. (so i'm told and understand).

Wishbones are a 'common' issue too as the audi is a heavy car with a heavy engine, but, its cheaper to buy a new item and fit it then the hassle of new bushes, my mate just had his 2.7t done at around £30 a side for the parts.

If you have access to vagcom/diagnostics, take it along and use it to bargain on the car if anything comes up. (under the dash, drivers side, a purple plug)

Why are you still in front of your computer and not looking around the car 😉

Excellent car, excellent spec, excellent engine and just all round excellence.

Oh, find out what he's been towing with it too – I am always wary of cars with a towbar.

It should feel a very solid, well built car, great sound system, comfy seats and a strong engine, it should handle well despite it being a big car. Doesnt say whether its quattro or not, that would be a bonus if it is.

Good luck 😉
    jt

fergusd

Get a Mondeo/Vectra instead. Loads cheaper and more to choose from, and cheaper to repair, fix etc. Although i guess they dont have the same 'image'.

Image is irrelevant . . . Fords (of which I have had a few) simply don't last like Audi's (of this I have had a few also) . . . long term the cheaper cars end up costing a whole load more money and time to keep running . . . this is not an opinion . . . it's direct experience of running cars until they need scrapped . . .

Fd

ETA : IF you can – get it VagCom'd . . . very useful tool for VAG owners

hora
    Free Member

Hmmmm should I buy a A6 TDI estate?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/audi-pre-2000-a6-or-a4-25-tdi-as-a-good-snotter

Yep its a 'Passat' but it looks 'nicer'.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Look for a 130hp 1.9 more reliable, cheaper to service, more economical. It does look very nice though! Resist Resist!

lalazar
    Free Member

Ive got a Passat with the 1.9PD engine and its just coming up to 250k miles and over seven years its rarely put a foot wrong. Ive drove many an A6 with the 1.9 engine and their just fine.

This 2.5 is a V6 and its one of the early one they had a problem with premature camshaft wear and when they go wrong your looking at big bucks. The previous 2.5 was a five cylinder and that was legendary this one is a lot more complex. It is the same as the Passat but oddly Audis tend to suffer more electrical glitches.

flatfish
    Free Member

Got an A3 1.9TDI for sale at the moment, '99, 111k, FSH, all receipts from the day we got it, looking for £3,000

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Audi 2.5TDI 186k miles cheap…to buy or not to buy??’ is closed to new replies.