• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ton.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Audax….. Bikes and sizings questions
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

Have fallen in with a crowd that do cycle paths, quiet roads etc. on a Sunday Morning.
    I initially tagged along as I am not motivated to put the miles in on my own. Using an old Steel mtb with commuting tires seems to be working OK for this apart from spinning out at times.
    Seems they also do Audax and I think that it might be something I would like to try both as continued mileage and also a goal to aim for in the guise of some of the ones that would be too much for me at present.

I have the feeling that this is a good an excuse as any to get a new bike. Having never owned or even sat on a road bike I have only a rough idea from the online guides what size I should be looking at. 6 foot tall with little 32 inch legs. I am thinking 56????
    Would like Shand Stoater but SWMBO will not countenance that. Croix looking favourite with Pinnacle in reserve. Cant sit on one as I am overseas.

Any advice?

TiRed

What is your budget? Audax bikes were traditionally touring bikes. Relaxed geometry, stable and all-day comfortable. The maximum average speed allowed meant why take a race bike that will beat you up. Longer rides added the requirement for mudguards, so larger clearance also rules them out. All-day comfort also means larger tyres.

Touring bikes can be, well, a little dull. So along came something called an “Audax” bike. Steel frame, but slightly more sprightly geometry; shorter wheelbase but still capable of mudguards and 28c tyres. Dawes and Thorn were some of the first. And others have followed. Along came carbon forks and finally carbon frames.

For me, if I was you and thinking about riding 100-400k Audaxes, I’d look at something lighter than the genesis. In fact the carbon bikes by Tifosi, Hewitt and Pearson would be my choice. Or a Giant Defy, which might struggle to take proper fixed mudguards.mudguards. For sizing, I agree that you are a 56 virtual top tube (M/L for Giant). For me, if I was riding a 200k tomorrow, I’d ride my fixed wheel Kona, which is steel with carbon forks, Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25c and full fixed SKS mudguards. Sub 10 kilos. It’s the little things that add to comfort that matter most; carbon bars and seatpost for vibration, for example.

Finally, a Barley saddlebag is now mandatory. Saves a kilo over a rear rack and can take a cheese sandwhich, flask and coat.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Budget is around the thousand mark. Hence the Croix being mooted, that and the fact it seems almost as ubiquitous on here as the Soul is for a HT.

I can take on board the less weight is good. However I do not think the budget is going to get me much below the quoted weight of the Genesis. I stand to be corrected though.
    Not stuck on anything in the specs other than discs, ability to put on racks and mudguards if needed and that it be comfortable for the 100 I can just about manage and beyond in the future.
    Thanks for the pointers so far.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tricky one. Weight is not the be all and end all – confort is, but I appreciate you can’t test ride. People have been riding audaxes long before carbon bars and seatposts.

Here’s one deal that would work as a starter at least:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-audax

Edric64
    Free Member

Yep Barley saddle bag here .Have you been looking in it? as I do carry coat sarnies and a flask on long rides

TiRed

From the originals

And on budget.

Audax riders are as much a phenotype as racers 😆

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I built up a ti on-one cross bike with a dynamo hub and light, disc brakes and 105 drivetrain for about £1k. All second hand bits apart from the wheels which I built myself.
    Rode the lel on it last year and it was superb.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
    There does seem to be something reassuring about a traditional name like the Dawes. However, both of those suggestions are without discs and whilst already shod with mudguards and possibly weighty rubber a few pounds heavier.
    I am certainly still confused. I know I cant keep using the old steel thing without throwing good money after bad. The drive train will need replacing soon and as it is seven speeds i guess that means the whole lot will need to be bought including shifters, mechs and so on. About the only thing that is worth keeping are the wheels I made which currently have a Hope spacer on to allow 7 speed.
    I guess we are looking at the N+1 justification but I do not want to buy something unsuitable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

7 speed spares are available and cheap.

mrmo
    Free Member

If your looking at Genesis for example, look at the equilibrium rather than the CdF

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Afraid the equilibrium is getting a little over budget. I am very conscious of price creep after the last bicycle purchase 😳
    I also have reservations on the tires that would fit. Some of the roads here are not sealed. Not sure how much of a consideration that is never having had a road bike but the thought of turning up and having some grizzled old bugger pointing at lightweight road tires and sucking his teeth has me worried.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Cynical-al….. You are missing the point there. I want a new bike. Not the voice of reason. If I wanted that I would just pop next door and ask SWMBO.

birney29
    Free Member

The Sora equipped Equilibrium is available for well under 1000. It’s an excellent bike and will take up to 28c tyres I think. I run mine with 25c tyres and full guards no problems. Looks to be plenty of clearance left.

Would lack of discs be such a deal breaker?

I know they have advantages with stopping power and rim wear, but calipers or cantis are perfectly good on a fast touring bike.

daleftw
    Free Member

I’m building my ‘audax’ bike up today.

Croix de fer frame (£300)
    XT on Archetypes (£220)
    BB7s (£80)
    Hope BB and Headset (£120)
    SRAM Apex and Rival off the road bike (Merlin have 105 triple for £300 though)
    Then the finishing kit. And some of that Cinelli Kaleido bartape.

MoreCashThanDash

Have a serious look at the Spa Cycles own branded steel audax bikes. Look great value if you can’t stretch to the Ti version my mates have.

I did a 150k audax on my Arkrose CX bike last month, loads of tyre and mudguard clearance, rack and disc brakes. Was fine on 32mm slicks if a little heavy.

Just check tyre and mudguard clearance on anything calling itself an audax bike. For comfort I’d suggest you want at least 25mm plus guards on longer rides, and a pannier and rack bag are much more comfortable than cramming everything in your pockets

ianpv
    Free Member

I may have a 56cm equilibrium for sale – 105/ultegra 10 speed/mudguards etc. email in profile if interested!

Ian

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Postage to the Antipodes might be an issue for that one I am afraid.

ton

wonder if old McNasty has ever thought about buying carbon…… 8)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Audax….. Bikes and sizings questions’ is closed to new replies.