Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 219 total)
  • attention seeker needs more publicity….
  • MrsToast
    Free Member

You know it is a hard life being gay. Every day – every SINGLE day – I have to work my utmost to bring about the destruction of morality.

Your marriage destroys the sanctity of Elizabeth Taylor’s marriages! ALL OF THEM!

I’m still baffled that Catholic cardinals see fit to comment on relationships and family. They’re celibate. It’s like being lectured on the best way to cook a steak by a life-long vegan, only more ridiculous.

Junkyard
    Free Member

OH FFS toast leave the vegans out of this we are a terribly persected minority and you need to take our rights seriously
    Al vegan children are happier, live longer, and have better outcomes than meat eaters. The only draw back, if you can call it that, is they are prone to making stuff up on the internet to justify their diet like their parents 😀

So, Junkyard, in terms of well being of the children we now have:
    Good: united heterosexual parents

Not so good: divorced parents, conflictual heterosexual parents that haven’t yet divorced, same-sex parents.
    Deary me read the link
    many children raised by gay or lesbian parents have undergone the divorce of their parents, researchers have considered the most appropriate comparison group to be children of heterosexual divorced parents
    its the samegroup – there has not been the acceptance of gays to do a proper longitudinal study unless you know different.Even then it would seem obvious they experience worse treatment CONFLICT [ peer and society in general] than married heterosexuals.

You can subdivide the groups as much as you like (united/conflictual married) and find as many exceptions as you like but taken overall the studies say children do best with married heterosexual parents.

No it clearly says they do best with HAPPILY married heterosexual parents – being heterosexual , unhappily marries and having conflict wont help your kids…so we know whatever the reason is for the good outcome it is not due to the opposite genders of the people on the marriage certificate. It is down to parenting, wealth, happiness and a variety of other factors. The marriage certificate gives no magical powers that make you a better parent that someone who does not have one.- perhaps we should work out what these things are and try and help everyone achieve it even the gays?

I could start to divide same-sex couples up into stable/conflictual/happy/unhappy etc. but it would simply reveal subtrends within the overall trend – which says that on this point at least, the Cardinal has a point.

Which is what? they are the same as some heterosexuals, better than some and worse than some. That point would stop almost all of us having kids.

In my opinion trends aren’t justification enough to discriminate against entire groups which brings us to issues such as should gays have the right to adopt; I said something earlier about each case on its merits.

Doubt anyone disagrees [cardinal aside] as long as we agree in principle if they are good enough their sexuality is irrelevant …the same view we have over marriage?

I don’t see the irony BTW, just a clumsy attempt to mock me.

You were being hypocritical you give the anecdote of a teacher and then mention research as well.

My view is happily married people have more money and less conflict than divorced people. I see no reason in principle why homosexual people cannot also achieve this happiness, wealth and lack of conflict. Well apart form the fact they cannot be married and [many of]the same people who will not let them get married dislike them so much it means they [ parents and the children] tend to face some conflict that heterosexual people don’t.
    The reason marriage is good is not because you are married it is because you are happier and wealthier generally. it is not because of your gender or you marriage status per se – ie they are not casual or all married heterosexuals would be better than all single parents or all gay parents…clearly this is not the case.
    http://www.amen.ie/articles/kelly.pdf

This article reviews the current research on the effects of marital conflict, parental adjustment, custody, and access on children following divorce. Evidence from research demonstrates that significantly more adjustment problems confront children, especially boys, of divorced parents compared to those in never-divorced families. However; when assessed in years following the divorce, these children are functioning in normal limits and do not appear “disturbed, “ although the media report the opposite. The article discusses an important British study finding that marital conflict and not the divorce affect children and that divorce may mitigate some of the more destructive effects.

As a result of this multivariate approach, it is no longer possible to make simplistic statements about children’s postdivorce adjustment. Contradictory findings and more complex results have forced a more thoughtful and integrative approach to divorce and adjustment issues.

That was my initial point btw.

Adam I so want to be glamorous but I am a scruffy hetty [ you can call me a married breeder if you like as long as you accept I am better than you because of this] with poor dress sense [ I sometimes wear lycra on a mountain bike for example] can your group help me?
    Tesco …disappointing what sort of boutique is that 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Hypocritial now too am I. Sorry, I fail to see why.

What you call an anecdote was enough of an issue for enough teachers and headmasters to make it into the things discussed on the PGCE course. Just because nobody was brave enough to publish on such a sensitive issue doesn’t mean it didn’t/doesn’t exist. The world has become so politically sensitive/correct that objective discussion of things concerning race, culture, gender, religion … doesn’t happen. Try it on this forum and someone will be along to insult and ridicule.

Bye for now.

Lifer
    Free Member

The world has become so politically sensitive/correct that objective discussion of things concerning race, culture, gender, religion … doesn’t happen.

I call troll. Surely?

poly
    Free Member

Where does children fit into it anyway? Did nobody tell the drag queen that gay couples in a civil partnership already have the same rights to adopt (or otherwise have kids) anyway. Is there not actually an argument that children of gay couples may do better in a “genuine marriage” rather than an “almost marriage” which the homophobic part of society can look down its nose at?

tonyd – I’d agree that getting married for tax reasons is odd; but it is equally odd that a gay couple can gain the rights of marriage by basically signing a form, when you have to go though an elaborate song and dance. Someone has already highlighted the issue with medical consent / next of kin (and even the right to bury your dead partner!). But there are other issues too – some of them quite significant for couples with children. Not all cohabiting fathers automatically have legal responsibility for their children. Pensions are affected. Inheritance Tax is possibly the most significant tax difference – its probably not something a “young” couple have even considered. And if you should split up or she runs off with the postman then it could really matter.

atlaz
    Free Member

tonyd – Member
    emsz – from your internet persona you don’t seem the kind of person that would be overly bothered either way. Maybe apathy isn’t the right attitude but surely I’m not the only person who has other things to worry about?!

You’ve managed to get the fact she’s apathetic about equal treatment for homosexuals? Okay. Can’t say I’d agree mind you.

The problem is that the issue IS polarised (talking about one of your other comments). If you are not for equality then you’re against it sadly. Sitting on the fence and being apathetic means you’re against equality. I don’t understand why people care about the use of the word marriage when it comes to two people getting hitched seeing as we’re already over the hurdle of legal equality.

I’ve yet to hear of anyone come up with a coherent argument about why that word should only be used for straight people that doesn’t involve evasion, muddying of the water or plain old homophobia (not accusing anyone here of the latter). Apathy is not a reason to deprive people of their given right to equality (some would say God given, no?).

poly
    Free Member

I think this covers it pretty well!

http://db.tt/u8g3QoZWwy

joao3v16
    Free Member

Most people don’t know or care enough about this issue to even have an opinion (in my opinion).

Probably the most factually accurate post of the whole thread.

Most peoples opinion will be formed along the lines of “we’re not supposed to disagree about anything involving race, sexuality or gender because it’s not politically correct, therefore I agree with anything proposed involving any of these things” …

rkk01
    Free Member

Still going strong this am…

… good job this isn’t stw.us.com

GrahamS

Most peoples opinion will be formed along the lines of “we’re not supposed to disagree about anything involving race, sexuality or gender because it’s not politically correct, therefore I agree with anything proposed involving any of these things” …

The sad thing is, I think you might actually believe that.

It’s got chuff all to do with what we’re “supposed” agree with to be “politically correct” and everything to do with respect, equality, freedom, and not standing in the way of people who simply want the same right to express their love that we have.

tonyd

If you are not for equality then you’re against it sadly. Sitting on the fence and being apathetic means you’re against equality.

Wrong. So you’re for equality but think because I may be apathetic on the subject I’m against it? What about the person that is actively against equality, surely they’ll think my apathy means I’m for it?

That’s just the kind of statement people use to force a reaction from others. It’s my basic human right to not really give a sh!t either way, are you arguing that I must have an opinion? Good luck with that one.

For the record I am in favour of equality (of any kind), I just choose not to protest it at every given opportunity.

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s my basic human right to not really give a sh!t either way, are you arguing that I must have an opinion?

No. Not at all. However it’s not like we have some sort of new alien species that’s arrived and we’re debating whether to give them citizenship. In that case, yes, no, dunno are valid answers. But when the discussion is “Should we allow homosexuals EXACTLY the same rights as the rest of us?” there is already a “No” pencilled in next to that. So it doesn’t matter whether you are against it actively or just passively ignoring it, not being FOR equality means nothing will change and therefore the equality we’re discussing may not become reality. To take your example, if there’s someone actively against it, it doesn’t matter to them whether you are just stepping away from the issue because they just want to maintain the current situation not change it. Your non-participation is not stopping them keeping the word marriage “sacred/only for straight people”. However, to be my own devil’s advocate, if there was an open vote on the issue with the majority winning, then yes, they may view it as the same thing.

Whilst I don’t like “You’re either with us or against us” rhetoric for the most part, there are some basic human rights which demand it and freedom and equality are some of those. It’s the same reason that despite the fact I utterly disagree with bigots, I support their right to spout their claptrap (up until they break the law) because we have a right to free speech irrespective how intellectually or morally suspect it is.

tonyd

OK, point taken. So the problem those of you who actively support equality have is how to motivate the apathetic to have an opinion and voice it. This comes back to my earlier point that I just don’t think you will have much success because it doesn’t affect enough people and they all have other concerns that take priority. We are selfish by our very nature – “If your issue doesn’t affect me why would I care?”

IMO Cardinal wotsit does a far better job of promoting your cause than all the bleeding hearts in the media, I would hope that the vast majority of the population who take any notice of the headlines he’s generated would take the complete opposite view that he is espousing.

tonyd

Just to add:

So it doesn’t matter whether you are against it actively or just passively ignoring it, not being FOR equality means nothing will change and therefore the equality we’re discussing may not become reality

What if I’m passively supporting it? I may not be waving placards or lobbying parliament, but I’d argue that by ignoring the opinions of those who are against equality I’m actually helping your cause?

For instance, I consider a same sex couple who are in a civil partnership to be married and would refer to them as such. I may be breaking the law but I won’t get arrested and the more I do this the more widespread and accepted it becomes until eventually the activists on either side are wondering what the hell they’re arguing about because the rest of society has moved on.

This is quite probably already happening right under our noses so while from a legal standpoint you’re not winning, peoples apathy is actually working for you, not against you.

rkk01
    Free Member

“If your issue doesn’t affect me why would I care?”

Sounds like a line from Martin Niemoller’s poem… 🙄

emsz
    Free Member

Tonyd. Most things are fine, honestly it’s cool. I run up against the occasional ****, and the fact that sometimes you have to careful when you grab a handful of tit* is a bit of a pain, but mostly most people couldn’t give a shit about whether your gay straight or whatever.

But, when u come up against this sort of obvious “let’s give the gays something thats nearly marriage but not quite” it just makes it so obvious that there are sections of our society that not only couldn’t care less but actually want to make our lives different, and that hurts. I’ve done nothing wrong, but they don’t want to let me get married. How shitty is that?

Btw I didn’t know you get points for turning !!

*goes to get sharking hat*

* only kidding, I’d get a slap if I did that lol

nickf
    Free Member

Emsz, the real question is this: who’d wear dresses at the wedding**, and what would they be like? I mean, 2 big meringue dresses might be a bit OTT, and fitting in the wedding car might be a bit tricky. And who gives the ring first in the service, which surname do you adopt (double-barrelled – which name comes first)…..practical considerations like this are waaaaay more important than whether an out-of-touch bloke from Vatican Kiddyfiddlers Inc approves or doesn’t.

Oh – and we’re all invited, right?

**That’s how it’s seen, and de facto, that’s what it is.

tonyd

How shitty is that?

I do understand how you feel (as much as is possible without actually being in your position), but if you’re in a civil partnership then to me you’re married. Who really gives a sh!t what some bloke in a pointy hat cares? If people want to foam at the mouth and tell you that you’re not married, so what? You’re not going to change their views no matter how loudly you shout, same as they’re not going to make you straight by refusing to accept that you’re gay.

To the majority of people you are married, and as has already been stated you get all the same legal rights. At the end of the day it’s just a word to me, I realise this may not be the case for you but getting angry about something that will take decades to change won’t help you.

You can’t fight the machine, but you can very quietly give it the finger.

tonyd

I think you should make all the guests wear dresses.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Most peoples opinion will be formed along the lines of “we’re not supposed to disagree about anything involving race, sexuality or gender because it’s not politically correct, therefore I agree with anything proposed involving any of these things” .

This is a sad line trotted out by people who tend to mean I think like alf garnett/Jim Davidson and I am not happy that I cannot say these things publicly without being challenged for my views.
    Its an appeal to some sort of pointless emotional angle that PC and respect somehow prevents us debating issues of race and equality
    The irony is these comments are almost always posted when we are 5 pages into a debate on gender issues, sexuality and race. It does not stifle debate
    Edukator there is tons odf research out there on the issues you mention

Why do girls out perform boys
    Why do Chinese kids perform the best
    Why do afro-Caribbean boys perform so poorly
    Racial elements to IQ tests v Cultural bias
    “PC ness “does not stifle the debate IME it is a lazy slur/complaint thrown out by people who don’t like having their views challenged.

but if you’re in a civil partnership then to me you’re married. Who really gives a sh!t what some bloke in a pointy hat cares? If people want to foam at the mouth and tell you that you’re not married, so what? You’re not going to change their views no matter how loudly you shout,

Yes WE are going to change their views and lets all shout very VERY **** loud till we deafen their voices and gay people have the same rights and the same ceremony as straights

tonyd

Then shout away, but bear in mind that shouting so loudly that you end up shoving your agenda into the faces of the apathetic might be counter productive to your cause.

Junkyard
    Free Member

hey they need to turn the other cheek according to their book not me

In reality you need to speak loudly and forcibly to win the argument

No point or sense in just accepting injustice due to the views of the pointy hatted dude and his sky fairy

GrahamS

hey they need to turn the other cheek

Wasn’t it that kind of action that got the gays into sin in the first place… 😉

No point or sense in just accepting injustice due to the views of the pointy hatted dude and his sky fairy

Particularly when it is a civil matter that has chuff all to do with religion in the first place.

loum
    Free Member

There have been some good,decent arguments put forward, but when the same people who argue for tolerance and equality intersperse this with mocking abuse and derogatory comments about someone because he is different to them, they only weaken their own position.
    Why not attack the argument rather than the person?

donsimon
    Free Member

Why not attack the argument rather than the person?

Because this is STW. 🙄

IHN

Yes WE are going to change their views and lets all shout very VERY **** loud till we deafen their voices and gay people have the same rights and the same ceremony as straights

But a Civil Partnership does give you the same rights and the ceremony, if you choose to have one, as a hetero-civil marriage. Some religions may choose not to allow that ceremony to be performed under their auspices, but, frankly, that’s their right; it’s the rules of their club.

As has been said, it’s ridiculous that all this fuss is basically not over what it is, because we (those of us who believe that gay couples should have the same rights as straight couples) have what we want, but what it’s called. And what it’s called is more about what people call it than what’s written in the statute book. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck…

For instance, I consider a same sex couple who are in a civil partnership to be married and would refer to them as such. I may be breaking the law but I won’t get arrested and the more I do this the more widespread and accepted it becomes until eventually the activists on either side are wondering what the hell they’re arguing about because the rest of society has moved on.

This is quite probably already happening right under our noses so while from a legal standpoint you’re not winning, peoples apathy is actually working for you, not against you.

Exactly.

IHN

Oh, and for what it’s worth, if I don’t get to be a page boy in a sailor suit at emsz’s wedding, there’ll be hell to pay 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

OH FFS toast leave the vegans out of this we are a terribly persected minority and you need to take our rights seriously

So should Vegans be allowed to get married?

GrahamS

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck…

Then insist it is a goose or possibly a swan with a sore throat.
    But definitely not a duck. Not a real one anyway. Not like proper ponds have.

I can see why that would upset rivers, lakes and other alternative waterways…

clubber
    Free Member

Arguable. What clearly should be law is that you’re not allowed to ride a Tandem unless married to eachother – think of the scandal otherwise!

nickf
    Free Member

So should Vegans be allowed to get married?

Only to Muslamic swans

Junkyard
    Free Member

if my experience is anything to go by NO

alex222
    Free Member

have you read the Bible?

Have you Edukator?

The same book in the bible which says homosexuality is immoral is the same book which says you can’t eat pork… Deuteronomy by the way.

Edukator I’m also not suggesting that your are saying it’s immoral. I am saying that it is amazing how Christianity can pick and choose what it wishes to believe and ignore.

emsz
    Free Member

We haven’t decided about the dresses/ suits thing My mum said if we both wear suits we’ll look ” a bit gay” … I know what she means LOL

clubber
    Free Member

You should both have a suit and a dress and change at half time 🙂

IHN

We haven’t decided about the dresses/ suits thing

But you have decided on sailor suits for the page boys, right?

GrahamS

My mum said if we both wear suits we’ll look ” a bit gay” …

Tell her you’re dressing the page boys as the Village People 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

miketually
    Free Member

We haven’t decided about the dresses/ suits thing My mum said if we both wear suits we’ll look ” a bit gay” … I know what she means LOL

My mam was forever telling my sister that her hair/clothes/posture made her look “dykey”. Turns out that it was being a lesbian that made her look dykey.

MrsToast
    Free Member

My mam was forever telling my sister that her hair/clothes/posture made her look “dykey”. Turns out that it was being a lesbian that made her look dykey.

My mom only objects to lesbian weddings if they both wear dresses, because that makes a mockery of marriage and, well, “one of them has to be the man!”. My mother also once said that all gays “wear leather caps, it’s part of their uniform”. And meant it.

I love her to bits despite the fact she’s racist and socially inept, but she wasn’t really much of a role model…

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 219 total)

The topic ‘attention seeker needs more publicity….’ is closed to new replies.