Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Attention dynamo users!
  • STATO
    Free Member

Schmidt have just released a 15mm axle version of their hub!!!! OMG as they say.

SJS link

STATO
    Free Member

Bump for daytime crowd

MrAgreeable

I think maybe everyone’s waiting for Shutter Precision to come out with theirs? 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Is it convertible from QR to 15mm?

STATO
    Free Member

I dont think it is convertible as such, but as a 15mm axle is 100mm wide you can insert and axle with QR tabs to fit normal dropouts, ive seen them on the web somewhere.

Have to admit its expensive, but most forks are bolt through these days so makes sense for other companies to follow suit, hopefully getting cheaper as they do.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Does make sense, to keep developing dyno use for the mtb market.
    I’ve just a got a QR S-P dyno for my road bike and can’t wait to get it going…

shermer75
    Free Member

I have to admit that his is all new territory for me. What kind of mountain bike do you build up with a dyno and what kind of riding do you do?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Have a look at Rob Dean’s:

http://robdeanhove.blogspot.co.uk/

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Cheers ir_bandito 🙂

The best description of my dynamo setup can be found in this entry here, which covers the SP dynamo hub, the Exposure Revo light and an additional external charger I used last year, although I have now switched to plugging the Exposure boost cable into the back of my Revo, a much tidier solution.

MORE IMPORTANTLY[/u] – SP have just announced a QR15 version of the PD-8, just as light and efficient as the SON (arguably slightly more efficient and, like for like, lighter, although they don’t do a centrelock version), and 1/3 of the price!

This is definitely on my shopping list as soon as it’s available 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the sp hub is serviceable yet

STATO
    Free Member

Superb! shame i currently have 20mm forks at the moment :0( Im not doing long offroad rides at the mo so plenty of time to save before next winter.

singlespeedstu

Looks good.

I was interested in the SON version but didn’t buy due to the price.

Any idea when the SP will be available?

robdeanhove
    Free Member

No news anywhere of when the SP QR15 dynamo hub will be available, fingers crossed it’s soon, although I’m guessing a few months as that’s a computer generated pic from the CAD, not a photo 🙁

Like you, I balked at the price of the SON. Bonkers!

singlespeedstu

Just had an email back from an ebay seller of the QR version called IDC1947 saying.

Thanks for your inquiry. I’ll be able to get them as soon as they are out, but they are still in the early phases of development. The target period for release is September this year. BTW could you let me know the colout and hole count you would be interested in? Cheers! Charlie

flanagaj
    Free Member

Old thread, but just looking into this and 5 months later it seems SP are not offering a 15mm dynohub.

Any more news on whether this will be available in 2013?

PhilO
    Free Member

Pre-orders are being taken on EBay by the manufacturer: Clicky

My finger has been hovering over ‘buy it now’ for a week or two, but I haven’t succumbed yet. 😕 Anybody dealt with this seller in the past?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Sadly, IME, SONs always die in an unfixable fashion with just road use. I dread to think how short the life would be off-road.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My finger has been hovering over ‘buy it now’ for a week or two, but I haven’t succumbed yet. Anybody dealt with this seller in the past?

I bought the standard disc version from them for my Fargo. Delivery was about 8-10 days IIRC. It’s a great hub and easily as good as the Schmidt on my touring bike.

bencooper
    Free Member

Sadly, IME, SONs always die in an unfixable fashion with just road use. I dread to think how short the life would be off-road.

Got any more info? Because I’ve done hundreds of them over 10+ years and never seen one die unfixably, apart from one that was underwater for a week.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Attention dynamo users!’ is closed to new replies.