Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Attention baldies! Hair clippers…
  • Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

My trusty Remmingtons are on their last legs after 10+years of service.

Can anyone recommend something cordless that has the facility to catch all of the hair clippings?

I want to cut at Zero Grade, not Full Cue Ball.

Premier Icon oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

i stubble….

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Catch the hair clippings? Shower is your friend, get in there without the water running, carry out the needful, then shower it all away, it’s not as if it’s long enough to bung up the drain 🙂

I have Braun Cruzer, but they’re about 5 years old, and the newer ones apparently ain’t as good. Haven’t missed a beat, no.1 for the beard, no guard for the barnet.

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

No idea if they do a fancy hair catching model, but…

Wahl. Current set are 11+ years old and have been reliably giving my head “grade zero” every 4-6 weeks, with occasional goatee beard trim.

/thread

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

Ah, you see I could really do with a clipping catcher if such a thing exists. Doing the needful in the shower is just going to bung up my plug hole.

Presently I put newspaper down like some sort of incontinent puppy.

Premier Icon fanatic278
    Free Member

Bookmarking this…. If such a thing exists and is less faff than the sink tidy-up then I’m in! If it involve attaching vacuum cleaner nozzles then I’m out.

Usually do my #1 all over every couple of weeks, so there can be a fair amount of clippings.

Premier Icon razorrazoo
    Free Member

I just use loo roll to wipe up the majority of hair in the shower before rinsing. I can’t for the lift of me think of how a set of clippers with a hair catching device can ever work or be practical to use.

I was mistaken. The device I was thinking of looks more like a lemon squeezer that traditional clippers, with a circular cutting action rather than side to side. I guess that whilst it doesn’t catch the clippings it doesn’t flick them over a 3ft radius either.

I’d be happy with something cordless that drops it’s mess in the sink rather than all over the floor as well.

TBH the real PITA with my current setup is that it only now works from the mains, so I’m trailing an extension lead.

First World Problems eh?

Premier Icon edhornby

Why not just do the clippering in the garden ? My beard gets clippered outdoors

Premier Icon binners

You’re thinking of one of these. Every time theres a regular clippers thread on here I recommend them. They’re absolutely bloody brilliant! Miles better (and neater) than standard clippers. A proper ‘why didn’t anyone think of that before’ product.

They appear to have stopped making them. Which is bonkers. They’re so much better than standard clippers. Just having a look on ebay and there’s obviously still a demand as they’re going for £140+ a pop

null

Premier Icon mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Real men shave with a broadsword*.

Personally, I have a 20 year old Wahl. Cost £40 back then. I guess it counts as “semi pro” standard.

If you want to catch the clippings, simply gaffer tape your shop vac hose to the clippers.

* possibly.

Premier Icon ads678

Doing the needful in the shower is just going to bung up my plug hole.

Premier Icon Rob Hilton
    Free Member

TBH the real PITA with my current setup is that it only now works from the mains, so I’m trailing an extension lead.

The PITA I experienced with cordless ones was that whenever I came to use them I hadn’t charged them…

I just shave my head straight onto the carpet – it’s a good motivator to bother to vacuum 🙂

Premier Icon pocpoc

Get a job where you work away at least 1 night a week. Shave your head all over the carpet then leave it for someone else to sort out.
    For the record, I have a full head of hair and do not do the above. I do however use it as a weekly opportunity for a beard trim as the whole areas around the sink is practially empty and a lot easier to clean up than at home where there are about 60 different bottles of half used products (that haven’t been touched for yonks but I’m not allowed to throw away) that make cleaning up the trimmings a nightmare.

EDIT: I’ve also gone back to corded hair clippers (#7 on top + #3 back and sides) for the same reasons as above – never enough battery and just don’t seem powerful. Philips Oneblade for the face though, simple and effective.

Premier Icon easily
    Free Member

Maybe this?
    https://www.johnlewis.com/philips-bt7500-13-vacuum-beard-trimmer-black/p4797453

Doesn’t seem like it would work that well to me, but it seems like the sort of thing you’re after.

Free Member

The PITA I experienced with cordless ones was that whenever I came to use them I hadn’t charged them

So, really nothing to do with the clippers. Do you still have a corded phone too? 🙂

Premier Icon IHN
    Premier Icon sargey

My wife has a hair salon and she has about ten sets of clippers, some mains and some battery but all of them are wahl.

So, really nothing to do with the clippers. Do you still have a corded phone too?

And bike lights.

There’s nothing worse than doing Rivington with a 15km reel on your back.

Premier Icon chakaping

Timely thread.

So which clippers for easy self-shearing, grade 2 all over?

Don’t mind corded or making a mess.

Premier Icon Blackflag

That doing it overnight in a hotel idea really made me laugh. Genius and selfish in equal measure.

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

Wahl.

This. In the end you’ll buy some, so save yourself some pain and do it now.

Premier Icon jamesoz

I’ve been through loads of battery powered clippers and all I can add is have a spare to reduce the chance of comedy half haircuts.

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

The same as you, I had a cheap set of clippers that lasted years before they were replaced / upgraded. Loads of people seemed to suggest the Wahl balding ones, so that’s what I went with. They seem really good to me – really high quality like they will last, although mine are only a couple of years old so haven’t yet proven themselves.

TLDR: Wahl balding

Premier Icon kid.a
    Free Member

I’ve been through loads of battery powered clippers and all I can add is have a spare to reduce the chance of comedy half haircuts.

I had a pair break/fail once mid cut! We were supposed to be going out for the day (cue the “you always leave it till last minute!” bollocking). I had to cover up as much as I could with a woolie hat and dash to argos.

Mains powered Wahl now.

Used to have it 9mm (what’s that grde 3?), as the hair has slowly given up it’s gone shorter and shorter over time, now a zero but don’t think I’ll ever go to the razor..

Premier Icon fanatic278
    Free Member

So sad that vacuum clippers aren’t a thing 😔

But if you want cordless with a battery that lasts for months (maybe 10 cuts between charges) then these work for me:

https://www.babyliss.co.uk/super-clipper-xtp-hair-clipper-7475DU.html#start=4MPV

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

So sad that vacuum clippers aren’t a thing 😔

But they are. Been around since the 80s I’m told

https://www.flowbee.com/

Premier Icon Rob Hilton
    Free Member

So, really nothing to do with the clippers. Do you still have a corded phone too? 🙂

In a way – I carry a fat battery pack round with me as I keep forgetting to charge my phone.

I also keep forgetting to charge the battery pack 😞

Premier Icon Rob Hilton
    Free Member

So sad that vacuum clippers aren’t a thing

null

Premier Icon Drac

Top tip: Cordless ones run off the mains while charging. Well the 2 pair I have for the dog do.

I go to the barbers to get mine cut. You can have a conversation while having your haircut. Unless you’re socially awkward.

Free Member

😂👏🏻

Premier Icon binners

Are you going anywhere nice on your holidays?

Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

I go to the barbers to get mine cut. You can have a conversation while having your haircut.

I go to the hairdressers to get mine cut. You can have a beer while having your haircut.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

I agree with binners.

They’re amazing. Better start looking after them!

Premier Icon Drac

I go to the hairdressers to get mine cut. You can have a beer while having your haircut.

Unfortunately a shot would take longer to drink than it would to have my haircut.

Premier Icon oldschool

Having tried a few and not been impressed with them. Tried a skull shave before Xmas and really impressed. Close shave dead easy to use, but needs to be done regular ad they don’t like longer hair so no leaving it a week or more between cuts. Quick whizz over in the shower every other day and it’s spot on.

Premier Icon greeny30
    Free Member

Wahl aqua blade in the shower, fantastic bit of kit, waterproof, battery lasts for ages, expensive but 33% off at the moment. Remington and babyliss always break in my experience, went through three I-stubbles before I found the aquablade.

Premier Icon Moses

The Babyliss SuperCrew that Binners recommends is OK but wont cut well around the ears (they do provide a small clipper with the main product for tidying up)
    Babyliss now do a Crew Cut thingy that works with a pair of blade trimmers. Half price sales abound, taking them down to £38 or so. They were at Xmas, anyway. Both of them work fine on longer hair so once every 2-3 weeks keeps hair looking neat. The Skull shavers work like Phillips razors so tend to miss anything longer than a couple od days’ growth.

Premier Icon mikertroid
    Free Member

I’d echo Binners…. glad I got some before they stopped making them.

Still have a set of Wahl ones I bought nearly 30 years ago….their quality is excellent. I’m sure their cordless ones will be good.

Premier Icon tenfoot

I just lean over the kitchen bin and that catches most of the hair I shave off. Always worked for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.