Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Attaching a small child to your mtb
  • rureadyboots
    Free Member

Id like to attach a small child to my Marin Mount Vision. Preferably between my arms on the cross bar.

How do you attach small children to your bike and what’s the youngest you’ve managed to find a helmet for?

bearnecessities

Houns

Zip ties

rureadyboots
    Free Member

Duct tape would be more secure but zip ties would be easier to remove.

neilco
    Free Member

Velcro. Best of both worlds.

midlifecrashes

Is this child there as a decorative head badge substitute, or as a fellow human travelling to the same destination?

When very small, I carried babies in slings against my chest. They used the same model helmet as me, i.e. none.

Northwind

Rivets for a more permanent solution

boxfish
    Free Member

I used a Safe-T-Seat from 12-36 months. Linky

grantway
    Free Member

Zipp Tie will be a cheaper option

boxfish
    Free Member

Not having kids in the first place is the cheapest option

MrNutt
    Free Member

boxfish, thinking of selling yours?? alexdotnuttatg(spam fail)mail(spamfail)dotcom 🙂

thered

Did it affect steering boxfish?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Wee ride, as soon as they can hold their head up, with a helmet on, for the amount of time you want to ride with them for. Take care on your first ride, there is no room in front of the saddle for when you stop,! We love ours.

Suggsey
    Free Member

re surely that’s what the wife’s for, for minding the kids whilst you go get a decent ride in 😆

joshvegas
    Free Member

The problem is kids grow up fast… bungy chords are clearly the answer

MrNutt
    Free Member

The Safe-T-Seat looks waaaay better than the wee ride

NZCol

I’ve got an i-Bert as well and it is fine, obviously big drop offs you have to be a bit more wary of the forward momentum 😯
    We ride some reasonable singletrack and my wee girl loves it, so much so i can;t go through the garage with her without going for a short ride. I found it much better than a wee ride.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is this not what frame bags were invented for? should keep it clean too.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

mac-ride

Try this I know of a few people who have them and think they’re great.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

another vote for a wee-ride here.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

What’s the oldest/heaviest/tallest some if these options would manage?

My daughter is small and light for her age, approx 1m and 15kg. She hasn’t really taken to cycling yet despite buying her a balance bike and a pedal bike, so I’m thinking showing her what it’s like to cycle might encourage her. She’s really good and likes going fast on her 3 wheeled micro scooter.

Cheers for any thoughts.

konabunny
    Free Member

The problem is kids grow up fast… bungy chords are clearly the answer

I can’t believe you would suggest something so dangerous.

Compression straps are much better because they won’t ping back and take your eye out with the hook.

igm

That macride looks strangely familiar…

LOCT?

Of course LOCT seem to be out of production (and truly excellent if you can get one)

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My 2 year old is 96cm and 12.5kg. I’d guess he has another 6 months before he’s moved on to the back.

natrix
    Free Member

What about a trailer bike? Probably more suitable for her height and weight than a seat.

boxfish
    Free Member

Did it affect steering boxfish?

Oh yes. Makes the front end very heavy. Didn’t try any wheelies, put it that way. I liked the idea of having little ‘un where I could see her, plus she got a much better view. I have shortish legs for my height and never had any issues with knee room. However, the lankier among us may not be so lucky.

aracer
    Free Member

Is this in addition to, or as an alternative to the front wheel?

chiefgrooveguru

If gaffa tape fails:

Awesome fun but manuals are really hard!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How small is small? We had a weeride as above, one of the best bit of kit we bought for kids. However they do struggle to fit more modern bikes.

Chief – At least put your daughters helmet on properly if your gong to make her wear one!

igm

How old?

Well I had no. 1 son on the LOCT in Les Gets on a Five when he was just turned 4.

He was already riding the (STW approved) Cnoc 14 by that time, but might have been under-biked for some of the trails.

chiefgrooveguru

Chief – At least put your daughters helmet on properly if your gong to make her wear one!

I wouldn’t have bothered with a helmet, I think it’s essentially pointless! However, my wife was concerned and there’s also the issue of the great unwashed passing judgement if I ride by with a helmet on with her hatless.

What I have found is that a bike helmet makes an excellent device for stopping a baby/toddler removing her hat so her head doesn’t get cold. It’s nigh on impossible to fix it in a suitable place to protect her forehead without it coming down over her eyes and causing screams of annoyance but as fitted in that photo it retains her woolly hat effectively.

So yes, bike helmet on baby is basically just a hat securing device!

T1000
    Free Member

[surroundedbyhills – Member

mac-ride

Try this I know of a few people who have them and think they’re great. ]

is this in production?

timmys

How do you attach small children to your bike

Weeride

and what’s the youngest you’ve managed to find a helmet for?

and err, Weeride was the smallest helmet I could find (for my 11 month old) eg.;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weeride-Spike-Boys-Baby-Helmet/dp/B005LLA1PC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Attaching a small child to your mtb’ is closed to new replies.