Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Atkins diet – Does it work?
  • Solo
    Free Member

Please keep amusing

I try.

Thanks for recognizing this.
    I love you too.

[emoticon] . [/emoticon]

finbar
    Free Member

Sorry, ignore.

Solo
    Free Member

However, judging from this thread, a nasty side-effect is writing incredibly long-winded posts and not using paragraphs. I wonder when i’ll succumb

If you’ve got time to fast, then you’ve got time to read… 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

finbar, I can’t and I won’t.

What?

Solo
    Free Member

Ooh !.

I’ve out Edit-Ninja’d TSY before.
    Now Finbar.

Must be the diet…..
    I did have some almonds 20 mins ago.
    Perhaps my Orexin is kickin in.
    😉

finbar
    Free Member

Sorry Solo / TSY, i was being mean so i deleted it. 😳

Solo
    Free Member

Finbar.

Please, none taken, really.
    🙂

This is just a forum, and so doesn’t amount to…. a….. hill-O…..
    Beans ?.

I’ll get my coat.

😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Finbar – don’t make me recite the 10 STW diet thread commandments to you.

It’s all about being po-faced mean, we’re not jolly fatties anymore, we’re miserable sugar free bastards.

finbar
    Free Member

we’re miserable sugar free bastards

😆 Good point. Nuts to the lot of you*.

*But not peanuts. Too much omega 6.

mogrim

Just to add to the argument: Interesting article from Wired.

Solo
    Free Member

miserable sugar free bastards

Jamie, the emoticon police, would have to disagree on account of how many I use.

**What he can’t possibly know is that I’m on commision**

Anyway, very little sugar for me.
    [vomit]I’m sweet enough.[/vomit]

Solo
    Free Member

But not peanuts. Too much omega 6

Yeap, and they aint nuts.
    They’re legumes !.

Solo
    Free Member

Mogrim.

iDave seems to have posted a link to that article on page 2.

I’ve mailed him about it, but he doesn’t reply to me anymore.

iDave hates me.
    😥

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Solo – emoticons just hide clown tears.

I never use them, because I’m just soooo happy.

Solo
    Free Member

I never use them, because I’m just soooo happy
    Wish my grammar was as good.

Happy ?.

Must be something to do with your new found love.
    We’ll blame her.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I was very thin when I was a vegan. Was still healthy though.

iDave
    Free Member

“I’ve mailed him about it, but he doesn’t reply to me anymore instantly.”

Solo
    Free Member

“I’ve mailed him about it, but he doesn’t reply to me anymore instantly.”

😳

How dangerous is an angry iDave, anyone ?.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Haven’t you ever wondered about what the next step in the iDiet is…?

All I’ll say is it involves eating lean meat of less than 12% bodyfat that has been fed on a diet of mainly legumes.

Jamie
    Free Member

we’re not jolly fatties anymore,

Speak for yourself. I am in holiday mode….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob0g9tcCweg[/video]

Solo
    Free Member

All I’ll say is it involves eating lean meat of less than 12% bodyfat that has been fed on a diet of mainly legumes

Tuesday, I consumed most of one side of a wild alaskan salmon.

molgrips
    Free Member

My point is that we still have the same body as our ancestors, the same digestive system and all the other systems that go to run our bodies

We do. But, they evolved to take advantage of a huge variety of foods. In paeleolithic times different groups of people ate quite different things. Those on the coast ate seafood, those in the tropics ate fruit, those on the plains ate big game and so on. So the idea that there’s one diet we need to eat on evolutionary grounds is bogus imo.

There will be slight differences between how yours and my body deal with food, but not so much as to make any significant difference, imo

There are huge differences. How many people do you know who eat normally and are skinny buggers? How many people do you know who stuff their faces and are skinny? I know loads.

I also know people who eat pretty modestly and are fat. A girl I knew at uni spent £5/week on food and was pretty much obese.

Only question then is, if you do push it do you hurt yourself ?.

Or, to put it another way – if you DON’T push it, do you hurt yourself? You are more than a metabolism!

To me, the idea of just whiling away my days tootling about the countryside on beans is a bit sh*t. But that’s part of the glory of existence – we are all different mentally as well as physically.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFQc2kxm9c[/video]

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Eat natural foods that would have been available to our ancestors, lift heavy stuff, run occasionally like you were running for your life, wear a seatbelt in your car, maybe wear a helmet on your bike, etc. Hopefully you’ll live a long and happy life, still you could be killed by the TB infected badger that attacks whilst out on a night ride or the twunt in a white van!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

To me, the idea of just whiling away my days tootling about the countryside on beans is a bit sh*t

.. I might add, it’s also potentially a bit dangerous – too 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The countryside is more fun on trips too.

molgrips
    Free Member

But make sure you don’t compete in anything, run races or anything like that. It’s ok to be interested in other people who do, but don’t do it yourself, cos it’s wrong, ok?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

But make sure you don’t compete in anything, run races or anything like that. It’s ok to be interested in other people who do, but don’t do it yourself, cos it’s wrong, ok?

Lol… I *think* this supposed to be a parody Mr mol?

..but it pretty much sums up actually where I think I’m at now.

A history of heart disease in the family and a minute’s worth of paroxial atrial fibrulations for myself while probably pushing it a bit too hard on the bike the other week (not the for first time either) and I think I’m probably best off avoiding most competitive situations from now on.

Nice that it appears there are some reasonable like-minded humans lurking about here and there on this forum occasionally 😀

Solo
    Free Member

Eat natural foods that would have been available to our ancestors, lift heavy stuff, run occasionally like you were running for your life, wear a seatbelt in your car, maybe wear a helmet on your bike, etc. Hopefully you’ll live a long and happy life, still you could be killed by the TB infected badger that attacks whilst out on a night ride or the twunt in a white van!
    I like some of this.

We do. But, they evolved to take advantage of a huge variety of foods
    And 1st prize for stating the obvious goes to……
    Does this variety of food include the chips room service delivered.
    The muffin you scoff at breakfast.
    Poor ole Grips, room service and your own body is against you.
    Its all beyond your control, isn’t it…

Nah.. not really.. back up to 84.5kg after being 82 before – although they were on different scales. Haven’t managed to get any decent exercise done lately
    You see ?, to me, you’ve still not got your head around it.
    Seems that you excuse your increase in weight, for lack of exercise.
    Eh ?.
    Exercise plays a smaller part of the equation while diet is the main part.

So the idea that there’s one diet we need to eat on evolutionary grounds is bogus imo
    This much is truely evident in your case.
    However, you are wrong to dismiss your evolutionary past and the prevailing science when making decisions about what you push into your cake hole.
    The correct diet for Humans does indeed include a wide variety of foods.
    This isn’t in dispute. But what is correct ?.
    I would suggest that correct should be what has been the prevailing foods for most of human history.
    Yes, a Paleo-esque diet.
    You don’t seem to accept that some foods are what our bodies are best suited to consuming.
    While others foods are more just tolerated, with varying degrees of effect.
    😉

There are huge differences. How many people do you know who eat normally [b]WTF is normally ?[/b] and are skinny buggers? How many people do you know who stuff their faces and are skinny? I know loads.

I also know people who eat pretty modestly and are fat. A girl I knew at uni spent £5/week on food and was pretty much obese.

BS !. You don’t know anything about someone’s eating habits unless you are with them 24/7 or they give a truely honest food diary.
    Some of the largest people in my office ?.
    YOU NEVER SEE THEM EAT….
    OOoooo !. How come they are so mahooosive then ?…
    I guess £5 a week buys a lot of sugar…
    Those on low incomes can still afford to get heavy.

Or, to put it another way – if you DON’T push it, do you hurt yourself?
    Course not, ask Buzz.

Or to put it another way.
    Did Paleolithic man regulary run marathons just to prove he was faster than his neighbour ?.
    How many olympic gold medals have been unearthed along with their 10,000 year old owner ?, I wonder….

But that’s part of the glory of existence – we are all different mentally as well as physically.
    Err, NO !.
    If you recall, you are convinced I’m wrong to observe and ponder the prevailing concensus regarding paleo type eating habits/choices, as far as they are understood today.
    This reminds me of when you drove iDave to the point of responding to one of your posts in upper case…

On the mental thing, you’re certainly correct.
    Certain types appear to have a lack of steely resolve….
    Physically, most of us are just too similar for it to be a reason/excuse.

People may try blaming rooom service, they may try blaming their job and lack of exercise.

But I think we all know what really matters.
    😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you mis-understand me Solo.

I think the iDiet is good, and it works. I am obviously not blaming any external factor for my less-than-ideal weight. I am not supporting eating muffins or cakes or blaming room service for anything.

The point is that you are over-simplifying, and your experiences are not necessarily the same as everyone else’s.

I guess £5 a week buys a lot of sugar…

I went shopping with her. She ate like a rabbit, trust me. Well – an omnivorous rabbit.

But that’s part of the glory of existence – we are all different mentally as well as physically.
    Err, NO !.

Err, YES!

Did Paleolithic man regulary run marathons just to prove he was faster than his neighbour ?.

Much as I like and respect you, you are rambling a bit here. I’m not paeleolithic man. I live in a very different world.

I do not want to live as if I were in the Paeleolithic era. I do however want to be a bit thinner than I am now, and to give my pancreas a break.

Or, to put it another way – if you DON’T push it, do you hurt yourself?
    Course not, ask Buzz.

Pushing myself and competing is something that is very important to me. I don’t want to give it up. Why should I? What’s the point of any of this dieting? To be smug?

What’s your point, caller? I’ve stated mine clearly enough.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Poor ole Grips
    Eh ?.
    Humans
    But what is correct ?.
    correct
    WTF is normally ?
    Buzz
    Err, NO !.
    iDave, mental thing

That’s how I scan read it anyhow.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Actually I went and read it all…

You don’t know anything about someone’s eating habits unless you are with them 24/7 or they give a truely honest food diary.

This is very, very true. Even when people are trying to be honest they often genuinely forget large bits of their diet.

Also… some people have thyroid problems.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well this particular lass is highly trustworthy. I have no reason do suspect she was ramming cakes down her face when no-one was looking.

We are all very different, this is blindingly obvious.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

We are all very different

I’m not.

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Atkins diet – Does it work?’ is closed to new replies.