Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Atherton Bikes on sale for £3999 frame or £6700 full build
  • Ben_Haworth

After a lengthy wait, you can now order a bike or frame from Atherton Bikes. Two models are available: a 150mm enduro bike and 200mm downhill bike.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Atherton Bikes on sale for £3999 frame or £6700 full build

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

ampthill

Can we lock this and keep it in the other thread

Atherton bikes, what’s the latest news.

cyclelife
    Free Member

I quite fancied the 130mm travel one I tried at Dyfi about a year ago – I think it was Rachels bike at the time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alcolepone
    Free Member

looks like a budget bike?!

thebees
    Free Member

Bland with a cleaning product style logo. Probably a fantastic machine but they need to sort their image out.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Everythings always “Formula 1 this” or “Aerospace that” in these things.

pipm1
    Free Member

Euugh, teal & orange fest video.

gavalar
    Free Member

Not exactly a looker, I out it in the same camp as Hope Bikes, you’re either a fan or you’re not, as for the price points, they need work for the brand to be competitive.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Bland with a cleaning product style logo. Probably a fantastic machine but they need to sort their image out.

Not sure the Athertons are struggling much with their image in the MTB community.

thebees
    Free Member

No disrespect to the Athertons intended. Just think that the bike looks like it’s trying not to offend anyone with its styling and in doing so is missing an opportunity to shine. Wishing them the best of luck with it.

fooman

I like the look, function over form always wins for me. I’d hate to be paying for a styling focus group!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No disrespect to the Athertons intended. Just think that the bike looks like it’s trying not to offend anyone with its styling and in doing so is missing an opportunity to shine.

There are a LOT of bikes out there that would have looked (and worked) better with straight tubes.

footflaps

I really like the clean look of the frame. It looks functional rather than fancy.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Wonder if/presume individual tubes can be replaced if damaged ?

nickjb
    Free Member

I really like the look. Very clean. I won’t be buying one though.

Painey
    Free Member

I really like what they’re doing and think they look nice, in a clean/purposeful type way. However the prices are crazy. If you wanted British designed/built etc you could buy from Hope and get X01, factory spec suspension etc for a lot less.

dirkpitt74

@oreetmon

Wonder if/presume individual tubes can be replaced if damaged ?

I think they said they can be repaired but not replaced due to the joint type (double lap shear joint) and adhesive meaning removal of the tube from the lug isn’t possible.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I think they said they can be repaired but not replaced due to the joint type (double lap shear joint) and adhesive meaning removal of the tube from the lug isn’t possi

Wouldn’t it be possible to dissolve the glue/carbon fibre layup with something? Could you just bung the whole thing in a really hot oven?

dudeofdoom

I like the look of it and when they bring out a S/M/L range that’s using a cheaper casting
    I’d probably be interested in a frame.

But a bespoke sizing for a bike always puts me off.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the prices are crazy

We’re taking push bikes that cost more than the average person spends on a car.

When you’re looking at the difference between a £600 and £700 bike, that’s an important £100 as you’re probably struggling to save up/afford it and you have only that much in the bank.

When you’re talking £6k vs £7k you’re well into the discretionary spending of high earners. I’m guessing few potential buyers are going to be balancing buying this with also paying for the ski holiday, the Porche, etc etc.

It’s a bit like the inflation headlines at the moment. It’s 5% if you can afford a new flatscreen TV, cars, and whatnot. It’s nearer 300% if you’re on the breadline because that’s the rate bread, pasta, baked beans, rice, etc have risen.

Wouldn’t it be possible to dissolve the glue/carbon fibre layup with something? Could you just bung the whole thing in a really hot oven?

Epoxy isn’t soluble in anything AFAIK.

Repair should be quite straightforward though. Just cut the damaged tube back, slide a smaller reinforcing section inside the tube and glue into place then build up the layers on the outside.

AlexSimon

I don’t really get why people moan at the price. Loads of things are out of my price range, but I don’t begrudge people who buy them or the manufacturers that make them.

Also – 4k is expensive, but people spend similar on Santa Cruz which are made in Asia in their hundreds of thousands and you see looooads of those at every trail centre.

I’d much rather have one of these.

The main thing I see as weird is that they seem to be injecting a lot of money and effort into something that they seem to be struggling to make. I hope it works out for them, but it must be an absolute money-pit at the moment.

dirkpitt74

Q: “How do you make a small fortune in bike manufacturing?”

A: “Start with a large one…..”

Anyone watched the Pinned TV video where he interviews Dan Brown and has a factory tour?

Some good bits of info on build times, recycling etc.

Worth a watch if you can get past the poor sound and background music….

scotroutes

Also – 4k is expensive, but people spend similar on Santa Cruz which are made in Asia in their hundreds of thousands and you see looooads of those at every trail centre.

And you’ll get warranty support, bearing kits etc next year, and the year after, and the year after etc etc etc.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m surprised the eager beaver mods haven’t closed this thread yet as it’s a duplicate of another thread.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Atherton Bikes on sale for £3999 frame or £6700 full build’ is closed to new replies.