Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Atera vs Thule roof bars
  • ChrisL

I’m changing my car, so I need to get new roof bars for my bike racks. Looking at roofbox.co.uk the Thule aero racks for the new car (Octavia estate) are pushing 150 quid, but Atera bars are about 50 quid cheaper. Is there any great reason to choose Thule over Atera?

mrchrispy

You get what you pay for (within reason).

I have a Thule system I dont need anymore (oval bars and footpack) came off a Passate estate so should fit the Octavia.

Northwest mind so delivery/collection might be a pain!

cheers_drive

I’ve got the Atera ones with Thule bike carriers and they work. Easy to put on, whistle a bit but I haven’t ever tried to sort it out.

alanf
    Free Member

I don’t think Atera is quite as well known in the UK as on the continent.
    I’ve got an Atera bike rack and it’s far better than the Thule it replaced. I think you are paying a premium for the Thule name.
    However, I do have Thule bars and foot packs which are good and just work but I don’t have any experience of the Atera bars/kit.

The-Beard

I have Thule bars and a Thule and an Atera bike rack. I think the Atera kit is better made and wouldn’t hesitate to buy more of it. Hope that helps.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I have Atera bars & bike racks. Build quality is right up there with Thule.

As noted, not as much reputation, maybe that’s why prices are a bit lower.

ChrisL

mrchrispy – what age of Passat were they for? With that knowledge I should be able to check on roofbox.co.uk to see if they’re the same parts as are needed for the appropriate Octavia estate.

I’ve got some second hand Atera bars for my current car (old Octavia hatchback) but the clamps aren’t locking like the ones on roofbox.co.uk, so not sure how much they tell me. The bits at the ends of the aero bars do have an annoying habit of falling off and getting lost, though. 😕

Harry_the_Spider

I have Atera ones too. As far as i know they have never fallen off.

matt_outandabout

The Atera roof bar mounted bike carrier I just bought is inferior in quality and (poor, poor) design to my Thule racks.
    End cap fell off on the first journey. 🙁

mrchrispy

was a 53 plate Passate estate, just checked and its the 757 foot pack.
    They dont seem to do the bars anymore, it either the square one of the aerobars. mine are the oval bars (kinda a cross between the 2)

ChrisL

What’s the width of the bars?

Northwind

I’ve got a set of wide square bars that’ll probably fit yours to tide you over, not like I ever use ’em on account of I bought a proper estate

mikertroid
    Free Member

I have Thule and Atera and the Atera ones are easily on a par with the Thule bars. And cheaper!!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Worth noting that the atera bars don’t lock, if that’s important.

No end caps have ever fallen off mine.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My Atera bars (for VW Golf 6) have a very clever locking system which is part of the tensioning system. Work really well.

bruk

To throw a spanner in the works, what about some Whispbars. Really quiet and low profile too. Thule racks are probably still the best and fit easily via t track.

Price is pretty competitive too.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I heard somewhere that Atera actually make the VAG original equipment roof bars and rails etc. German company and very well thought of on the continent.

Northwind

In case ChrisL doesn’t see this, he’s got Thules. Which whistle like an orange parade.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Atera vs Thule roof bars’ is closed to new replies.