Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • At what age are we 'Middle Aged'?
  • franksinatra

Got a birthday coming up next week and j use wondered when I would be described as middle aged? What is to collective thought?

andytherocketeer

they updated it to 55 a while back.

franksinatra

Is that true Andy or are you just making yourself feel better?

andytherocketeer

true. it was in the news somewhere. edit: on bbc breakfast news I think (so prolly on the website too)

footflaps

Well on a cheery note, it’s 35 upwards and you’re going to want to kill yourself.

From BBC News:

Suicides soar among US middle-aged people

People aged 35-64 accounted for nearly two thirds of of US suicides

The suicide rate among middle-aged Americans rose 28% in a decade, a new report from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has found.

Among adults 35-64, white people and American Indians saw the sharpest increases from 1999 to 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22391293

br
    Free Member

Its not your actual age, its the age you look and/or feel that counts. I’m late 40’s, but a damn sight fitter/healthier than many 20 years younger than me.

johnhe

If average life expectancy is, say, 76, then it stands to reason that 38 is middle aged.

teethgrinder

(The age you consider a people carrier exciting)/2

gusamc
    Free Member

in terms of body age I’d say 35ish to 55ish, in terms of mind much more varied and individual, ime some people are born middle aged and it’s definitely the case that some grow old disgracefully

unklehomered
    Free Member

For me it was about 23… 😳

crikey
    Free Member

It’s when you look at scantily dressed young ladies and think ‘Eeh, she should have brought a coat, she’ll be bloody freezing’

djglover
    Free Member

Over 35 for sure

I’m 37

pennine
    Free Member

Crikey has just labelled me 🙄

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

43 and still hawt! 😉

scotroutes

Dunno, but at 53 I’ve definitely started to feel old, so maybe that’s me middle aged now.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Middle-aged = having to sit down to put your socks on.

Old = sitting down to put your pants on.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

26 in a fortnight.

That’s middle aged enough. 🙂

br
    Free Member

It’s when you look at scantily dressed young ladies and think ‘Eeh, she should have brought a coat, she’ll be bloody freezing’

No, you think ‘I bet her Mum is tasty’ 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

No, you think ‘I bet her Mum makes meals that are is tasty’

Never mind all that chasing them around the room with nefarious intentions, can she make a decent gravy?

wobbem
    Free Member

As long as YOU can make gravy is more important 😀

Greybeard
    Free Member

‘Middle aged’ is older than ‘young’, but not yet ‘old’. So more an attitude of mind.

busydog
    Free Member

they updated it to 55 a while back.

Well that’s disturbing. I turned 70 a few months ago and thought I must be getting at least close.

hora
    Free Member

Middle aged has changed.

Its a mindset. In the 50/60/70’s it might as well have been 20/30’s?

The US link could be attributed to debt/money issues plus the US have a lot of guns. We feel down? No 9mm next to you just booze.

One of my bestmates hit middle age in his early 30’s.

Think its early 50’s in the 00’s.

yunki
    Free Member

Suicides soar among US middle-aged people
    People aged 35-64 accounted for nearly two thirds of of US suicides

they are turning to god, golf and Letterman.. of course they’re suicidal

we have strong beer, cycling and Doctor Alice roberts..

I think we’ll be ok

samuri
    Free Member

When you decide that you’d rather just have a lie in than get out there and do something exciting.

I’m 45 and still waiting to get there.

Hohum
    Free Member

I feel middle-aged at my current age of 42.

It’s not a bad thing though.

I am now responsible for a wife and 3 children and I have been through a serious crisis and came out the other side better for it.

I am enjoying my middle age as I have increased the things that are good in my life and decreased those that are bad 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Mentally it’s when you spend more time reminiscing than making plans.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Dunno, I’m 47 and sure as hell don’t consider myself middle aged. Never really moved on from riding bikes (pedal and motor powered) and getting drunk. Never intend to either.

johndoh
    Free Member

When you grunt every time you sit down, bend over or stand up.

I am middle aged, aged 45. I think.

Caher

It might be now for me. It was raining and i played on my computer rather than go for a ride.

flumewelck
    Free Member

[/quote]Well that’s disturbing. I turned 70 a few months ago and thought I must be getting at least close.

And me hopeing that 58 wasn’t 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

when you think twice about jumping the bottom two stairs at home in the house.. 🙁

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s a mindset. you can be born middle aged, conservative and blind to thinking in any way progressive and fresh. **Always be fresh/ thoughtful and be inspired by something new always** Look at these old fat conservative bastards. they’re only in their 50’s. they think they know it all., got lot of wealth.. eat and do nothing and grow ugly…

Bregante

A mate always says he recognised middle age as the moment that he started fancying larger ladies – mainly because sharing a bed with one reduces the heating bill 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

It’s a mindset. I’m 57 and fitter than I’ve ever been and I don’t consider myself midle-aged, just an older young person.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Which bit of your Bday cake will you prefer?

If you like the sponge more than the icing…. you are defo middle age. 😀

Sandwich

Busydog has given me hope (Mrs S despairs of me ever growing up). A sprightly 50 here and a big (50 mile plus off road ride) can leave me a bit sore the following day.

hora
    Free Member

Bregante thought I saw you cycle past the closed brothel/Williams mini garage yesterday about 7.30pm? You looked worn out/knackered!

piemonster

Thursday

5thElefant
    Free Member

Do you whine, moan and are a generally grumpy sod and want the world to know by broadcasting your depressing drivel on a popular mountain bike website?

If you do, you’re middle aged.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘At what age are we 'Middle Aged'?’ is closed to new replies.