Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Aston Hill – Worth a 2 hour drive?
  • ready

Morning all.

As title really, I’ve never been but think I would like to.  Some of the vids on the YouTube look good, but it’s a 2 hour drive from my house.  Worth a look or not?

TIA

oldtalent
    Free Member

Easily I recon. Its an hour from me & ive been a good few times this year.

Not when its wet though. No way.

EDIT. Althoguh usually if Im driving 2 hours I would want an uplift day.

SirHC

I hadn’t been for 3 years, wen’t a few weeks ago, really good. The runs are short, fast and steep in places. Really good in the dry, as you don’t have to worry about all the off camber roots!

ready

Nice one, thanks for the replies.  I think I’ll give it a look this weekend.  How long is the push up?  Are we talking Chicksands or FOD??

jonzi

I’ve not been to Chicksands or FoD, so can’t compare, but the push up, if I actually push rather than ride, takes me up to 15 minutes. But I am lazy.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Pushup is a ****, depending on how unfit you are. Most of it is ridable on an enduro bike. 15 – 20 mins maybe?

DH bike you are pushing all the way.

10 runs is my best, more like 7 these days.

Might see you there on saturday.

SirHC

Each lap of the hill is 350ft, push/pedal up is pretty easy, one steepish bit past the golf course.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

It’s worth it.

Its more FOD than Chicksands.

Don’t go in the wet

There are zero facilities so bear that in mind.

Don’t skid on Surface to Air!

deadkenny
    Free Member

And don’t forget, it’s pay to ride (£7 for a day pass). Day pass or annual membership covers insurance which is a requirement by FC to allow riding there, and upkeep noting that it’s all volunteer run.

albo

I love Aston Hill! Going Saturday for some runs, looking forward to it!

itsallaboutme
    Free Member

Can’t say much about the downhill aside the first 400 meters of the Red run, the run morphs into the XC trail which was more interesting to me- it was pretty intense, but being on a 100mm fork hardtail probably was not the premium choice for the downhill bit…..

The XC loop is okay, lots of loose rocks and roots and more technical than most I have been on.  The climbs are okay – I managed 3 loops in a couple of hours with a jetboil stove/soup break.

I would be inclined to avoid in the wet as it is bloody rooty….

TBH, the Uplift is okay – I managed 95% of it riding, one bit I just got too much wheel lift and had no real control.

chakaping
    Free Member

I would be inclined to avoid in the wet as it is bloody rooty….

And the roots are the grippiest bit in the wet. Lethal chalky dirt. Dries up quick though.

I used to drive an hour to get there and spend half a day riding, I wouldn’t drive 2 hours – but why not if you wanna make a day of it and spend some time learning the tracks?

I’m sure there was a portaloo there a couple iof months ago.

timmys

TBH, the Uplift is okay – I managed 95% of it riding, one bit I just got too much wheel lift and had no real control.

I seem to remember a weird quirk of the place is that the push up route (I think that’s what you are talking about?) is actually a footpath so official you’re not allowed to ride up it.

nedrapier

seem to remember a weird quirk of the place is that the push up route (I think that’s what you are talking about?) is actually a footpath so official you’re not allowed to ride up it.

I remember the same.  Only ridden there once, but was told that riding up the push-up isn’t the done thing.  If you do, it won’t belong before someone asks you not to.

Is that not the case?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Aston Hill – Worth a 2 hour drive?’ is closed to new replies.