Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Aston Hill bike park Bucks
  • carbonfiend
    Free Member

What’s it like got chance to go tomorrow as really close in fact gonna be moving round the corner in Feb. What are conditions there like this time of year, can I just roll up & ride ?
    Cheers

kimbers

Yeah you are supposed to pay on the day 7 quid if the rangers are braving the cold

If its frosty its usually rides really well Surface 2 Air holds up well the best
    If its wet its Slidey

Its a dh venue with a push up just so you are clear !
    Though there is an xc loop but its not that long

cardo

Was there today, frosty but all rideable even the roots are fine… but pretty much what Kimbers said ^^^^

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheFopster
    Free Member

If you want more XC type action (ooh er missus) you’ll also be fairly close to Woburn. Lots to ride there and holds up pretty well in winter.

Karl33to
    Free Member

If it’s damp it gets really slippy, first time down surface to air I tried to stop before one of the drops to size it up but just carried on sliding, luckily nobody saw so it doesn’t count.

tymbian
    Free Member

Karl33to….happened to my son. I know cause I was following him down..then it happened to me too. But like you said no-one saw so it never happened….shhhh.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Seen its mainly DH but also says has an XC loop which is what I want. Thanks for info will prob investigate though Woburn is bit further to head out at the moment, going to be moving to Hughenden Valley High Wycombe.

adsh
    Free Member

The xc loop is fun. Very rooty and quite testing. It’s a game of 2 halves – steep down then steep up. All natural and a lot of fun. I woildn’t go near it in the damp.

soobalias
    Free Member

AH is great for what it is, but i wouldnt travel there for the XC, ive never managed more than one winch up the climb.
    hope you have fun there today, its a north facing slope so not likely to thaw.
    from hughenden valley, you are blessed with from the door riding, literally any direction (ok except towards HW)

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you’re very local, the xc will be nice for quick spin, and I guess you may be able to tie it up with other stuff outside the park. If travelling far for just the xc, don’t. It’s a DH park really and the xc is a 15 to 30 minute loop perhaps.

Clay soil at Aston. Surface 2 Air is more all weather, but the rest is like an ice rink in the wet. The red DH (also is part of the xc) is the most lethal there in the wet. I can guarantee you won’t stay on the bike on the berms without full mud tyres and even then one trip the guys with muds said they were no use. Spikes perhaps required.

Ps you can get the day pass for a quid cheaper online, and I recommend it to support the development and maintenance, plus insurance of the site.

adsh
    Free Member

I travel for an hour to get to the xc loop and think it’s well worth it.

soobalias
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNiKNl8sBhM[/video]

usual rules about video flattening the trails applies.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Didn’t make it got to in laws too late. Will defo be there in mid feb as house move seems all but done just waiting for one of the chain who can only vacate then. Thanks for all info will re post something when moved for some guidance regards the non trial centre rides.

chakaping
    Free Member

I miss Aston, must get back there in 2015 and see what’s changed.

OP – I suspect you had a lucky escape. I made my first visit there in wet conditions and don;t think I’ve ever struggled to stay on the bike as much.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I live a 10 minute ride from Aston Hill and really enjoy it for a DH session, but imo there is better trail riding to be had into Wendover Woods and beyond. I’ve got a couple of great loops now that I’d be happy to show you round. Went to Woburn today and it was fun, but not a patch on the trail centre that is ‘The Chilterns’.

weeksy

Watching that vid makes me realise how rubbish I am.

stu170
    Free Member

I hate drops. Go here for a day and I think I should conquer that fear, or die

Goldigger
    Free Member

tizzzzle – Member
    I live a 10 minute ride from Aston Hill and really enjoy it for a DH session, but imo there is better trail riding to be had into Wendover Woods and beyond. I’ve got a couple of great loops now that I’d be happy to show you round. Went to Woburn today and it was fun, but not a patch on the trail centre that is ‘The Chilterns’

I’m only over in Hemel, how long are your loops? I could be tempted..

makkag
    Free Member

Another here I’m up in chipperfield/kings Langley and would welcome the opportunity to see some of wend over other than Aston . My regular buddy’s are all out of action so been riding swinley solo & local around Friday through Sunday if you fancy a pootle ?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Makkag your Just round the corner from me.. Chipperfield common, woodmans wood, lower plantation are as good as it gets locally for me..
    Down the hill from bovingdon, next to the golf course through the woods is a good blast but short..

makkag
    Free Member

Ah cool I’ve not really been out this way exploring too much other than on the road bike. if local I tend to go to whippy where I helped build (and more importantly) know the trails. I’m riding all weekend if I can and would be happy to go and see some local stuff if your around ?

br
    Free Member

Seen its mainly DH but also says has an XC loop which is what I want. Thanks for info will prob investigate though Woburn is bit further to head out at the moment, going to be moving to Hughenden Valley High Wycombe.

for XC, just ride local and across into the Chilterns – literally miles and miles of trails

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I’ll go for a ride Friday morning 8.30ish if anyone wants to join. Mansion hill car park off the road towards wendover

passtherizla
    Free Member

waste of time and money IMO… but if you’re there anyway then why not. I’d ride there if it was my local spot though. the Push up is horrible too.

I guess my point is its not worth driving 2 hours to go and ride.

creedy
    Free Member

Makkag, I’ve been meaning to ask on here if anyone one knew who built whippy! I’m in leavesden and that’s my local spot.(some really nice stuff in there, taken me a while to find most of it!) I’m not about this weekend as going to swinley with my bro. But well up for someone to get some regular local riding in. Pm me with details for any local rides. Tizzzle, depending on strength of hangover I’ll be up for Friday ride.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Makkag..
    This morning would have been a good opportunity, with the heavy frost we’ve had.
    Most of the slop being frozen..last time I was out it was a proper mud fest.
    I’ll check it out and see if it’s worth riding..

makkag
    Free Member

Oops I’m off to swinley solo tomorrow setting off about 11 but if anyone’s about over the weekend I’d be happy to tag along

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I ride Aston quite a lot but agree that it’s not ideal for a first visit when it’s wet. I did a great 18 mile loop from Wendover on Wednesday which I’ve not done before with a mate who’s more local than me and liked to study the maps. Saw a few MTBers out and about (said hello to a guy on a Canyon when I stopped for a pee! – anyone from here?)

austinburner
    Free Member

Makkag, Goldigger & creepy – another local here in chipperfield.
    Very keen to meet up for some local rides, have been here for couple of years & still trying to firm up some loops. Through the woods & down the valley behind bucks hill, drop onto the canal & then a little play in whippy is as good as I’ve got so far. Got a garmin for crimbo so it’s my mission to fully explore this year out & beyond local trails.
    Will be sure to drop you a line, mail in profile!

Goldigger
    Free Member

Austinburner, makkag, creepy
    I’m in bovingdon, we could all meet early Sunday morning and brave the slop?

paul123
    Free Member

I’m the other side of Aston Ti you guys out in Kins Lsngley but interested to know a bit more about Whippy ie where’s it at and what’s it like.

Would be happy to hook up for a few Chiltern and beyond rides too at b some point as our group has reduced in size over the last few years.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Paul,
    whippendell woods is behind the grove and backs on to Cassiobury park..it’s not that big, but you can include it easily with a ride from Chipperfield.. come down bucks hill from the common, towards Chandlers cross and that’s the start of whippy
    Whippendell Wood

http://maps.google.com/?q=Whippendell+Wood%2C+Rickmansworth%2C+Hertfordshire+WD3&ftid=0x48766a6ef287343f:0x78cef4a16d626cc5&hl=en&gl=gb

jameso

Chilterns / AH local here, I often head out from near Hemel / Berkhamsted for an hour or so in the Ashridge area, drop down to Tring via a nice byway cut-through and then up to Wendover / AH hill area, looping around Cadsden is as far as a normal longer days goes this time of yr. Not as far as it sounds and loads of variations on the trails you can include once you know the basic direct links between the areas. Very little tarmac apart from Tring town centre. Happy to bias a ride to the stuff closer to Hemel and Berkhamsted out to Ivinghoe Beacon if you want to join me, plenty of stuff there for a 2-4 hr ride.

summitchilterns
    Free Member

@ carbonfiend

Welcome to the Chilterns! This is our local club, about 150 members, loads of local rides and a good bunch too… 😀

http://www.summitmtb.co.uk

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Be nice to do a ride at some point as we are all pretty local to each other. I’m up in Wendover Woods 3 or 4 times a week but head out to Swinley & Woburn too. Work in Watford so can make whippy/chipperfield etc no hassle. Was lovely and quiet out and about this morning, lots of digging and work going on up at Aston when I passed

br
    Free Member

Very little tarmac apart from Tring town centre.

Check the maps, as this can be avoided too.

Come off Ashridge via Tom’s Hill, 150m of tarmac then take the left parallel to the railway, right over the bridge then right to the canal bridge.

Thru Cow Roast, under the A41 and then right (across the field, footpath) thru the wood and onto Wigginton. There are loads of ways then thru/past Wigginton/Tring park along the ridge.

teasel
    Free Member

from hughenden valley, you are blessed with from the door riding, literally any direction

Indeed. Once you’re in the area, OP, I could be probably be persuaded to show you some lovely ckeeky stuff that’s hard to locate without a little local knowledge.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Yeah you are supposed to pay on the day 7 quid if the rangers are braving the cold

Are CTC still insuring Aston hill, Rogate & tidworth. I thought they have drop it. So do you still have to pay etc..

soobalias
    Free Member

http://www.rideastonhill.co.uk/about/membershipfees/

there is nothing cheeky round here teasel, nothing at all.

teasel
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry. My mistake – this isn’t the thread you’re looking for…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Aston Hill bike park Bucks’ is closed to new replies.