Viewing 34 posts - 161 through 194 (of 194 total)
  • Asthma suffers and covid vaccination – are you expecting one?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

that Asthma UK blog I linked to above explains everything better than I can.

If you are going to link to asthma uk, at least link to their latest position on vaccination..

Your friend with the asthma maybe wants to be a bit more forthright with her GP.

Thanks.. I’ll be sure to pass on your advice as I’m sure she hasn’t had that conversation yet..🙄 ffs

Tbh You clearly don’t understand the extend of the problem if you are coming out with that. It’s not one or 2 people that are missing out here. It’s many thousands who are in exactly the same position as my friend (luckily I’m not one of them, my asthma is relatively mild in comparison). Hence why one petition on the subject has around 50k signatures.

Rio

link to their latest position on vaccination..

Here you go, updated 3 March:

https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/triggers/coronavirus-covid-19/what-should-people-with-asthma-do-now/

Which says

We have a blog explaining the priority groups and what this means for people with asthma.

HTH

boombang
    Free Member

Asthma UK don’t quite contradict themselves but state that group 6 includes asthmatics that have had an emergency admission to hospital for asthma but elsewhere state it requires an overnight admission (which I can’t see in any other relevant docs).

On the first I qualify, but I have not been able to book a vaccine. Advice from 119 is to call my GP and get the vaccine via them.

I was fully expecting a vaccine at some point and ahead of ‘healthy’ people in my age bracket. That said my wife is a teacher and zero chance of not being last in the queue and I still feel very much they should have had 2 doses in the last couple of months in preparation for returning to schools on Monday – and ahead of me.

martinhutch

Here you go, updated 3 March:

That Asthma UK guidance has been wrong from the moment they issued it, and remains so, regardless of where they sourced it. Having a shielding letter (I have one) does not mean you are automatically in group 4 if you are an asthmatic.

It’s bizarre they haven’t referred properly to the JCVI guidance, and the green book, which is what GPs and health authorities up and down the country are actually using.

Kuco

My appointment came through my surgery. I was admitted to hospital many many years ago at the start of my asthma but it’s been pretty much under control for years. I did end up at the doc’s just before Christmas 2019 being wheezy and coughed up blood but the chest x ray came back clear. I can only guess that’s why I’ve had mine last week as my surgery must have put me down as vulnerable.

boombang
    Free Member

Out of interest was that an overnight hospital stay?

Might help as and when my doctor gets in contact.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Latest study..

Whilst the jcvi criteria is based on flawed data for first phase, here is the latest study on covid and asthma published in the lancet

If you can’t be assed reading it, here’s the important bit….

‘Patients with asthma were significantly more likely than those without asthma to receive critical care’

Here you go, updated 3 March

So up to date that on 5th of March they posted the following on Twitter ….

At a meeting yesterday, we again outlined evidence showing people with asthma are at a greater risk of needing hospital treatment and long COVID. However, the government outlined no intention of changing from the JCVI’s age-based recommendation for the next vaccination phase.

martinhutch

Individual practices are clearly doing their own thing. I’m already booked in with the main NHS vaccination site in Bradford tomorrow, but got rung up by my practice to offer me one for Sunday. I declined, and then our landline rang a minute later with them offering one for my wife (late 40s, mild to moderate).

boombang
    Free Member

Called my doctor, said I am an asthmatic who has been submitted to hospital. They asked me which and when, off that they added me to a list and today got a text link to book. Having it Sat am.

Decent bar my doctor not apparently knowing how severe my asthma can and has been, but that’s possibly not their records, more what they have been passed.

Kuco

Sorry missed the post, IIRC it was 30 years ago I was admitted very late evening and spent a fair few hours in there till the morning. But that’s good news boombang.

boombang
    Free Member

Yes I am very happy and thankful to be offered it (especially if it helps protect my mum, we are the only people she comes into contact with).

It is a frustration my wife, a teacher, can’t get it yet but suppose that will happen in time – maybe summer holidays.

boombang
    Free Member

Had it today, I never normally feel flu vaccines or similar but this was very different, like it was a lot more liquid pumped in very quickly.

Anyhow it is done and my wife has been offered it to – no idea why but had a message to say due to her medical condition it was now time.

Just we have no idea what that medical condition is. Only thing she has is Reynauds.

tpbiker
    Free Member

The nhs use some random alogarithm which clearly excludes some folks and includes others who shouldn’t get it. There was an article in the guardian about it last week

My perfectly healthy mate in his mid 30s got offered it last week. Pisses me off abit given 90% of asthmatics aren’t getting priority, but that’s not his fault. If I was in his position I certainly wouldn’t have turned it down

boombang
    Free Member

Guardian article

This one? That references people added to shielding lists as well as invited for vaccine, she didn’t get asked to shield, but could be lack of info their side (she has never been to her doctor bar registering and taking our son).

As a lot of people would she is having it as cannot get through to her GP to query. Being a teacher at a big secondary I think she and many other groups (basically any people facing job) should have been done back in January, but that is another story.

Jakester
    Free Member

Well, I had an invite from the NHS yesterday saying I was eligible due to an underlying health condition which must be my asthma. All booked in for Thursday, so it seems it is still potentially treated as a higher priority.

burko73

I got the text yesterday to book a jab. 47 and all I can think is it’s because I’m on meds for high blood pressure. In hants. Appt booked for local pharmacy next week.

tpbiker
    Free Member

That’s good news jakester

May i ask, do you meet the criteria of steroid tablets/hospital admissions in the past or just flu jab invite and steroid inhaler?

gray

Two of my friends who, like me, just occasionally use ventolin (and don’t feel like they’re at particularly high risk), and are in their 30s / 40s have been invited. Obviously from a big picture perspective, the inconsistency is relatively small beer compared with the overall success of the vaccination effort, but I do feel for individuals who feel like they’ve lost out in this lottery!

Oh and Jake, glad you’re getting yours me old mate!

Haze

Had mine yesterday, 49…I’m asthmatic but it’s mild and well controlled, never been hospitalised and have my flu jab and asthma review every year.

I wasn’t expecting it for a few weeks yet.

dogbone

I get mine today. 53, mild asthma (controlled with turbo steroid inhaler), flu jab every year & Bristol.

Jakester
    Free Member

tpbiker

That’s good news jakester
    May i ask, do you meet the criteria of steroid tablets/hospital admissions in the past or just flu jab invite and steroid inhaler?

I’d say probably not – I have had one emergency admission in the last 12 months, but that wasn’t to hospital – I was told not to attend A&E as it was right at the height of the pandemic (probably around 10 months ago) but go to an out of hours doctor’s instead and wait in the car. I had another hospital attendance in the winter probably 14 months prior to that. Both times prescribed oral steroids, but I don’t *think* that is enough occurrences to qualify under the current definition.

I’m 42, and don’t insofar as I’m aware have any other health conditions which would mean I’d qualify.

boombang
    Free Member

Did anyone here have an adverse reaction to AstraZeneca?

12 hours after I had uncontrollable shaking and cold sweat
    24 hours after a severe headache and slight temperature that gradually eased through the day.
    38 hours after woke up with hives over 50% of my body – antihistamine helped but today I am very itchy.

My GP has said today it is unclear if they can let me have the second injection. It may be they switch me to Pfizer but lots being found out in meantime that might influence that decision. Have to say I am feeling really gutted by this.

dogbone

I got my jab yesterday. Ran hot and cold overnight and feel a bit battered today (mostly from lack of sleep). Arm a bit sore but other than that ok.

boombang
    Free Member

That sounds like the norm dogbone, I’ve spoken to a lot of people about this and the common side effect seems to be ‘flu like symptoms’ ranging from a day to 3 days. Guess I am just seeking someone else in a similar boat to me as don’t understand why.

Interestingly 2 people who had covid have said the reaction to the injection was far worse than having covid itself – both recognise though why they should have the vaccine thankfully and will have the second.

footflaps

Interestingly 2 people who had covid have said the reaction to the injection was far worse than having covid itself

Yep, well understood. If you follow Tim Spector and the Zoe Covid study app, you can get a weekly update on symptoms.

This was from a few weeks back, but it discusses the worse symptoms in those who’ve had covid…

Kuco

I spoke to a lady at work today who had the AstraZeneca last week and she reacted badly to it.

martinhutch

Lots of people get a fever, shakes, bad headaches etc and generally feel rough for 24/48 hours.

I got nowt, maybe a bit groggy the next day. My wife had hers yesterday and spent the night shaking in a puddle of sweat! She’s OK now, so all good.

I imagine it’s the hives that are the problem in Boombang’s case. Suggesting a potential allergic response.

BadlyWiredDog

38 hours after woke up with hives over 50% of my body – antihistamine helped but today I am very itchy.

Had mine yesterday, feel mostly low-grade tired and achy today with some added shivering, tingling fingers etc, pretty crap in fact. And that’s after around a year of long covid, which isn’t much fun.

You probably know this already, but the package leaflet for the AZ vaccine lists ‘itchy skin or rash’ under ‘uncommon side effects, ‘may affect up to 100 people’. Not sure if hives come under that, but it does sound like rashes at least are a recognised side effect. Hope it clears up soon.

boombang
    Free Member

Thanks for that footflaps, interesting stuff I’ll keep following now.

martinhutch, that’s it, doctor did say there would be no way to tell what the reaction could be next time so even if I wanted it they wouldn’t knowingly give it to me again unless there it is better understood and they have a suitable action plan.

Even with what she said it didn’t occur to me it was an allergic reaction as opposed to an immune response.

I’ve always thought allergic reactions were quick but it appears with medicine this can happen after hours or days, bit of interneting yet again reinforces I know very little.

Hopefully this won’t cause issues with other vaccines or medicines too. I’m a cheerful positive person but this has got me down. Been a shit 12 months and getting the vaccine felt like a real positive step. Hopefully a switch to Pfizer is an option.

footflaps

Thanks for that footflaps, interesting stuff I’ll keep following now

Are you using their App?

You report your symptoms every day, even if fine and they use the data to better understand CV. They discovered the loss of smell via the App. If you report a possible symptom the App will send you to get a CV test using one of their passes, I’ve been sent twice now (both negative).

NB Their symptom list is 20x bigger than the official list and they will send you to get a test based on the latest data for symptoms rather than the hopelessly innacurate government list of three (which aren’t even the most common ones).

boombang
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog apparently this is over and above the acceptable side effects based on the photos shared with the doctor.

I will now footflaps! I do twice weekly tests now my son is back at school, and my wife is a secondary teacher and doing 3. This is something I wish I knew about sooner and can’t believe isn’t more widely pushed.

martinhutch

Even with what she said it didn’t occur to me it was an allergic reaction as opposed to an immune response.

I’ve always thought allergic reactions were quick but it appears with medicine this can happen after hours or days, bit of interneting yet again reinforces I know very little.

I’m only speculating – sounds like it could be a belt and braces approach from your GP if you’ve contacted them specifically about this reaction. They may simply need to ask someone more qualified if this relatively low-level reaction bodes ill for revaccination.

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/advising-individuals-with-allergies-on-their-suitability-for-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine/

Haze

I have chronic urticaria but no allergic reaction to AZ

Had the shot Sat morning and was fine all day until about 10pm, started aching all over and went to bed with the chills.

Not much better the following morning, headache and feeling battered…bit of ibuprofen and finally found the motivation to go out on the bike for an hour about 11am which helped.

boombang
    Free Member

@martinhutch my GP said she had spoken to their pharmacist and those leading the vaccination programme – she could only say for now nobody knows enough to say it is safe to have a second dose, and in these cases it is hard to predict what the outcome is a second time. Very much precautionary and it might mean future jabs with contingent measured.

I have never suffered from anaphylaxis thankfully, and although really unpleasant the hives are tollerable with antihistamine – yet according to that same link you posted they don’t necessarily get you to dose up on them before as it can mask other side effects.

It is good news for the wider role out that I am very much in minority though!

Viewing 34 posts - 161 through 194 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Asthma suffers and covid vaccination – are you expecting one?’ is closed to new replies.