Asthma sufferers.. bit of advice if you please..

Home Forum Bike Forum Asthma sufferers.. bit of advice if you please..

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Asthma sufferers.. bit of advice if you please..
  • fasthaggis

Get an Asthma check at the GP ( usually with the Nurse )

Just took my son for a check yesterday,and they gave him a whole new plan.

timnwild

Just about every doctor’s surgery will have a dedicated asthma nurse who can test you properly – with respect to the fine folk of STW and your concerns, it’ll be a much better way of knowing.

If it’s any help, I’ve been an asthma sufferer all my life, and it doesn’t affect my riding in any way – it helps, actually – and if you are unlucky enough to have it, it’s very easily managed and controlled.

Get down the surgery mate.

Premier Icon mintimperial
    Subscriber

Yep, sounds like it could be asthma, it can be triggered by all sorts of stuff. I don’t have attacks as such (apart from one as a teenager), but I get a bit wheezy and tight chested from time to time if I have a cold or something, and a bit of salbutamol sorts me out. Get it checked out at the docs.

Very fit people can have asthma, it can have nothing to do with general health – I seem to recall that Team Sky’s Edvald Boasson-Hagen has it, for example, and he’s quite a fast chap on a bike…

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

sounds like it could be

as above, my experience of GP asthma clinics is very good

also as above, crack on and keep riding, no need to be alarmed

(the colouring in orange squash gets me, amongst other things)

elzorillo

Thanks for all the advice..

I shall go see the quack.

legend

If it’s any help, I’ve been an asthma sufferer all my life, and it doesn’t affect my riding in any way – it helps, actually – and if you are unlucky enough to have it, it’s very easily managed and controlled.

Strangely I kinda feel it helps too. If I haven’t been riding enough (or generally doing enough exercise) I might start getting a little wheezy, so it’s a great incentive to stay fit!

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

It makes us tough determined little buggers IMO, and it’s also handy when the ride is a bit quick to have an excuse to pull over for a puff of the little blue performance enhancer.

It did scotch my childhood dream of being a fighter pilot for the RAF, but on retrospect that may have been a good thing for world peace and harmony.

Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

cold foggy nights.

this makes me think it may be, but as above, to the doctors with you.

SD-253

timnwild

I have had Asthma for about 3 years although with the benefit of hindsight the symptoms were there for a lot longer. The asthma took the form of coughing (normal for late onset asthma) and continued unabated for an hour or two being sick at times. The first inhalers I used reduced the coughing significantly but left me with very excessive phlegm. Which with the odd cough could send huge glob phlegm across a room, not great you would agree. They changed the inhalers but they were no better a little bit worse. Before I could go back to the nurse I got a severe infection which was twice diagnosed as arthritis before eventually being diagnosed correctly But I was on a massive doses of steroids for 4 days and a month later again I had massive doses of steroids. The 1st time 12 x 5mg of PREDNISOLONE reduced to 8 over 4 days. Then a month at 8 a day But this was stopped after 4 days. I now very rarely use my inhaler (I don’t even get a blue one anymore). The point timnwild is it appears (for me at least) that there is a way to seriously reduce asthma with large doses of steroids over short period of time. Doctors say is not good for you because the steroids have such severe side effects But they were quite happy to give me very large doses with the intention of me taking them for the rest of my life (I had no side effects). Might be worth looking into it? After all that’s (steroids) what is in inhalers?

Premier Icon Jerome
    Subscriber

Ex asthma sufferer here.
    if anyone sprays one of them pesky airosol cans near me I get a tightness of the chest and a pronounced wheezing for an hour or so in the lungs
    No bigee,and i can relate to that, well maybe not for an hour.
    A non steroidal ventolin will sort you out,or whatever the current thing is..

SD-253

mintimperial – Member
    Very fit people can have asthma, it can have nothing to do with general health – I seem to recall that Team Sky’s Edvald Boasson-Hagen has it, for example, and he’s quite a fast chap on a bike…

jonny Wilkinson he sometimes uses his inhaler before a kick

elzorillo

is this asthma???

I’m physically fit.. very healthy.

Over the last couple of years I’ve noticed that if anyone sprays one of them pesky airosol cans near me I get a tightness of the chest and a pronounced wheezing for an hour or so in the lungs.

It’s also started happening on cold foggy nights.

Weird?

Premier Icon wonny j
    Subscriber

Yeah sounds like a bit of mild asthma. Easy to manage with a few meds.

Haze

Cold, damp days are exactly when my asthma starts playing up. I’m fine all summer into autumn, late October I get all wheezy.

It takes a couple of weeks on the preventer (brown inhaler) before it starts to settle again, and carry a reliever (blue) in my jersey pocket during the winter months which helps out after those big efforts!

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

Been asthmatic all of my 58 years.
    Played lots of badminton, swam lots, played squash for best part of 30yrs till knees gave up, been biking on and off road for 30 odd years.

As above go get a lung test at surgery asthma clinic(peak air flow)and go from there.

http://www.asthma.org.uk/

All us sufferers should get together and do one of their events 💡

Premier Icon PePPeR
    Subscriber

I got asthma as an after effect of pneumonia, my son is far worse than I am and has had it since 6 months old, although here notices me getting bad and coughing before I do!

mtbmatt

I have asthma and riding is fine with it.
    It took me 2 years to get a confirmed diagnosis mind, but that was mostly because I had to have a consultant report due to the inhalers I take that were on the banned substance list and I race at a level where drug tests are possible. My GP thought I had it from the start mind.

The first test (methocholine sp?) I had came up inconclusive, so I had to had another test which induced an attack. Not very nice, but at least I had a confirmed diagnosis!

I suffer badly in the winter, cold weather really sets it off but even this morning where it went below 10 degrees my chest was very tight.

So get yourself to your GP, they will do a peak flow test most probably and maybe ask you to keep a peak flow diary.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

While we’re here, anyone know about this: I’ve been mildly asthmatic since a toddler (now 45), it’s well controlled and I can do peak flows off the scale, but still lack wummpff on climbs – I simply run out of power compared to my comparable riding buddies no matter how hard I try (I’m not talking collapsing in a wheezy heap, just that I can’t knock it out like they do). Since my flows are ok, is it that the interface in my lunks that transfers oxygen to the blood stream is buggered?

OP nothing to be concerned about here for you – I am 45 years in to this.

fizzicist

That’s allergic asthma alright. I’ve had asthma since I was a kid, and sadly it looks like my son has it as well. It doesn’t bother me now it’s under control but I was really upset about my son having asthma as well.

best thing you can do is train loads and get your cardio function really strong.

I’m on 2 x clenil inhalers twice a day with salbutamol on demand. A combination of this and plenty of cycling keeps it under control, but cold damp weather destroys me.

mtbmatt

While we’re here, anyone know about this: I’ve been mildly asthmatic since a toddler (now 45), it’s well controlled and I can do peak flows off the scale, but still lack wummpff on climbs – I simply run out of power compared to my comparable riding buddies no matter how hard I try (I’m not talking collapsing in a wheezy heap, just that I can’t knock it out like they do). Since my flows are ok, is it that the interface in my lunks that transfers oxygen to the blood stream is buggered?

Sounds like a purely fitness issue myself, but asthma can sometimes only become an issue when exercising.
    Try doing a peak flow immediately after riding, see if it changes.

studioderm

Silver Birch trees are a great trigger for my asthma and hayfever.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Sounds like a purely fitness issue myself

That’s a bit of circular definition (being slow means I’m unfit which makes me slow), can you be more specific what you mean?

I ride a couple of times a week year round in a moderately fast group (tho at the back of it). I don’t think I’m, fundamentally, ‘unfit’.

elaine anne

Just a note..keep away from …orange cordial..its got some colourant in it that makes your chest soooo tight…grrrr.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Elaine +1, spot on. That and dogs.

stucol

And ASDA Antibacterial Surface Cleaner. One whiff of that and its Puffer time !

Pal has some automatic Glade air freshener dispenser thing. I swear to god it’s set on “Squirt as he passes”.

Climbing up Glentress when it’s 0c does the trick too.

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

mattjg – Member

Spot on mattjg, or at least that is my problem. Normal puff into the mechanical pipe peak flow meter only shows your peak flow. Normaly 3 puffs and an average taken. If you do not have the correct technique this can give misleading results.
    I have lung function test at work, 2 weeks time actually due to the possibility that in the event of an incident I may need to don breathing apparatus ❗ Our med centre use a computerised system which measures different parts of the lung function. Age wise I am above average except for 1 measure. The one you mention, it is only 75%. I attribute this to the fact that up till the age of 13/14 when my asthma disappeared I never had any inhalers, just bed and some horrible liquid stuff. Sufferers today are so much better looked after. My asthma returned again in my mid 30s and I carry an inhaler with me at all times. I have lots of allergy triggers and obviously have learnt to avoid. Eg I have resumed swimming recently and had to leave the pool the other day due to the onset of an attack due to the chemicals used to dose the water 🙄 I will overcome this again….

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Remember, brothers and sisters of the little blue puffer, every ride makes us stronger.

Premier Icon northshoreniall
    Subscriber

I had it in childhood, untreated, came back about 8yr ago after nasty chest infection. I went to GP looking for some oral steroids to get me over crisis and muppet asked me was I a body builder – had to explain I’d be injecting illegal steroids if that was what I was after! Think being cyclist meant by crap peak flow was what my normal should have been if you know what I mean.
    3 degrees yesterday on commute, nearly keeled over at top of first climb, 10 minutes coughing and inhaler saw me right.

PrinceJohn

Has anyone tried those power breath inhaler things? I’ve seen them & wondering if they do anything worthwhile or are just snake oil…

I have a pathetic peak flow (~350-450, as opposed to ~600), but my asthma doesn’t come into play when I ride.

Aerosols, dust, incense sticks & cats screw me up. Cold doesn’t too much. Tis a weird beast this asthma.

Premier Icon pedalhead
    Subscriber

yep cold, some pollen and lime cordial do it for me.. I won’t be putting lime cordial in my bottles during a 12hr solo race again 🙄

mtbmatt

Has anyone tried those power breath inhaler things? I’ve seen them & wondering if they do anything worthwhile or are just snake oil…

I found they used to induce my asthma and I’d also pick up a chest infection of some sort. But at the time I wasn’t using inhalers, so might give it another go.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Asthma sufferers.. bit of advice if you please..’ is closed to new replies.