• This topic has 26 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Astana – poss spoiler
  • tang
    Free Member

planned or not today? whos the boss now?

alwyn
    Free Member

Armstrong looked like he wanted to kill someone in the interview after, I reckon not planned. Armstrong may come back on the flatter stages.

rOcKeTdOg

never mind that, GOOOOOOOOO WIGGO!!

Marmoset
    Free Member

Was seriously impressed by Wiggins today, what a transformation, looked like a pure climber…

ironbrucove

Bring on the big time trial and that final week.
    Good ride by Wigo as well

tang
    Free Member

wiggo in that group! i couldnt believe it, great to see some brits mixing it.

rOcKeTdOg

he'd climb better if he grew the weller hair back

pjt201
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

he'd climb better if he grew the weller hair back

ha ha, i was thinking the exact opposite during his interview.

I think Armstrong was told not to/decided not to chase him down – he didn't look like he was at his limit when Contador made the break. I think he was there to cover Evans (and Brad!), either through his choice (as in he was prob kicking himself that he didn't go instead of Contador, as I think if it was the other way round Contador would have been expected to do the same) or because Bruneel told him to.

tang
    Free Member

contador looks handy….cant wait for more hills and tt. like to see andy schleck do well. ive got eurosport at work and needless to say my afternoons are getting less productive.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I can't imigine Armstrong taking team orders to be honest.

pjt201
    Free Member

paulosoxo – Member

no, but i think he's trying to prove that he's not a self centred arrogant b*stard. if Contador blows up don't expect Lance to hang back though.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i must say he (armstrong) didn't look too bothered when contador shot off, however as was said earlier he didn't look too chuffed afterwards!

Crell
    Free Member

There's no way Armstrong would chase his own team mate down(actually it's Armstrong so he would be arrogant enough to try) unless he was following someone else's wheel. If he did Bruyneel should slap him and he would turn the final screw in the coffin known as morale in that "team". Whether it was genuinely planned attack by Contador though, who knows.

Armstrong is a genius at mind games and putting pressure on those around him. I expected them to let Kloden go today rather than Contador. Then just follow the Saxobankers or Evans up the hill.

Ride of the day – Wiggo for staying with that group…now if he can repeat it that would be amazing.

The other honorable mention goes to Cancellara for descending skills par excellence. The guy has talent.

glenp
    Free Member

+1 for Cancellara descending – he was absolutely nailing those bends, with helmet skimming the rock face. Well, nearly.

Armstrong's face was a picture! Looked like he was chewing a lemon. Contador did nothing more than nick back the 20 seconds that Armstrong himself ascribed to luck anyway. Once Contador shot off there was no way Lance could respond because of the company he was in, esp Schleck. Great political move from AC – just enough to show a bit of form, and so beautifully timed. On reflection I think the timing was great – had he put a minute on Armstrong there would have been a lot of fallout.

aracer
    Free Member

You didn't watch the stage then? I can't imagine Armstrong not going after Contador were he not following team orders. Well maybe not explicit team orders, but the normal way a cycling team works in this case (you don't chase down your team-mate even if he is your biggest rival) is much the same thing. You could just imagine Armstrong sitting there grinding his teeth and hoping one of the people he had to sit on the wheel of would go a bit faster.

anagallis_arvensis

I have been critical of wiggins in the past, yesterday he was fantastic. I really cannot work out the Lance astana situation. I have no idea if Lance thinks he can win or is bigging up his chances and trying to help Contador or is it all out war…. I'm sure if Lance could have attcked yesterday he would have, but he didnt….

Nick

It's the best tour for years, the Armstrong/Contador factor is adding to the entertainment, great fun.

IdleJon

I'm sure if Lance could have attcked yesterday he would have, but he didnt….

There was nobody who could match Contador's speed yesterday.

If Armstrong could have attacked like that, he would have, because he would have dropped Evans et al in the same way that Contador did. He couldn't attack because he didn't have the legs imo.

Team orders or not, the single reason for Armstrong to be riding this tour is to win it himself not to ride as a super domestique. Is anyone seriously suggesting that he sits there and watches team mates ride away from him?

There aren't many summit finishes this year, so unless Armstrong is waiting for the TT to hammer Contador he missed an opportunity yesterday.

tang
    Free Member

you would think if he had the legs he would have gone with him, or they could have, as a team controlled things like they did all day. i think its a statement move, can lance match it? have my doubts. contador just looks so good. roll on today…

nickc

aracer has hit the nail on the head here, Contador saw his chance and took it knowing that Lance would have to sit there unless Evans or some-one went after him. OK it maybe wasn't the plan, but great piece of race-craft on Contador's part. Went off like a rocket!

glenp
    Free Member

Another bit of spice – if Lance attacks at any point (assuming he has the legs, which actually I doubt) then Contador ought to be obliged to play the team game, just as was the reverse yesterday. Surely he won't oblige and some bad feeling will come to the surface. Love it – bit of bitching and scratching to add flavour to a great race.

AndyP
    Free Member

no, but i think he's trying to prove that he's not a self centred arrogant b*stard
    failed miserably at that…

Contador did nothing more than nick back the 20 seconds that Armstrong himself ascribed to luck anyway.
    time-wise, agreed. All other aspects – disagree entirely.
    Team orders? Armstrong? pmsl. He hasn't got the legs, simple as that. Of course he'll play the 'team orders' card to try to cover up the fact that he can't cope with Bertie.
    Would have loved to see Bertie against a 2000-vintage Armstrong, now that would have been worth watching!

Nick

I hope you're wrong but suspect you're not, it would be good to see Armstrong giving Contador a good run but I'll be amazed if Contador doesn't win the Tour.

aracer
    Free Member

Well I can think of at least one scenario for Contador not winning…

mtbmatt
    Free Member

On current form it has to be said that Contador is the favourite.
    Although the prolouge was only short, he took some time out of Lance and showed his good TT form. Now in the mountains he showed that he is still a great climber.

I'm not sure if Lance was strong enough to go with him, but even if he was he would not have followed. It would have been a foolish move. The most he was able to do was shadow other riders, which is exactly what he did.

It would be great to see Wiggins get a top finish. Given his current TT and climbing form a top 5 isn't impossible, although top 10 more likely.

As far as the leaders are concerned I can't see anything changing for the next week or so until the TT or maybe stage 16 in the alps.

hora
    Free Member

TBh contador looked like a naughty schoolboy thinking hes got away with something.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Astana – poss spoiler’ is closed to new replies.