Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Assos shorts. They worth it?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Am going to be doing some long days on the road bike this year, going to invest in some good bibs. Assos aint cheap but seem to be recommended. They noticeably more comfortable than say good Gore or Pearl Izumi lycra?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs. When worn they seem to support your buttocks like a gentle pair of 21-years-old hands. Recommended!

druidh
    Free Member

If you're up at the high end, then good Gore is markedly different from their lower end stuff. You should also consider De Marchi as their factory makes the padded inserts for many of the other high-end clothing brands.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

I reckon those who suggest that nothing else compares are comparing them to lower end shorts from other brands rather than high end ones (which tend to still cost rather less than the Assos alternative).

westkipper
    Free Member

I hated the ones I got. Really hated
    Several problems; despite the fit of a medium being fine the leg grippers were like tourniquets, and I dont think that sizing changes much across the range. Assos kind of assume that all blokes have the same diameter of mid thigh, maybe?
    Secondly the chammy was too thick and like having a bath sponge stuck between your legs, after a couple of hours it developed a fold along the centre that rubbed painfully.
    Nah, I went back to cheaper old school eight panel shorts with a thin, slightly stiff, synthetic chamois.
    Everybody's different though…

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I treated myself to a pair many years ago. Still going strong,the only other shorts I have are Endura MT500s,not in the same league,not as comfortable,well ,made,or expensive.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Giordana is a good substitute, use the Giordana Tenax Laser Bib Shorts A413 , well comfy and a good price from CRC

westkipper
    Free Member

Most of the higher end shorts from Giordana, Nalini, and Santini seem to suit me much better too.
    Does anyone think that the presence of Assos on the market isn't really a big positive?
    Aside from inflating the price people are willing to pay for shorts, manufacturers are now all trying to 'out-Assos' each other with more panels, stranger shapes and thicker hyper-multi-density (TM) padding.
    Its getting harder to find more classic designs of the kind that most pro-cyclists still use themselves.

njee20
    Free Member

Assos are overpriced now, the F1.Uno is also not up to much IMO, the FI.Mille and FI.13 are great, but are just far too expensive, the quality's gone down as the price has gone up!

Gore are very nice, the Xenon and the Oxygen are both really comfy shorts for less money than Assos.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've tried Di Marchi and F1 Mille and there's not much between them apart from the price 😕

Ed2001
    Free Member

I haven't bought any new assos shorts for a couple of seasons but I have heard as njee points out that the quality has gone down a bit ( although I do wonder if this is a bit of " back in my day talk" ) . What I would say is every piece of assos clothing I own is superb both in terms of quality,comfort and fit and as a result when I need to I will probably stump up the cash for more assos shorts.
    For comfort santini shorts with twist gel inserts are excellent but don't wear as well.

Rochey
    Free Member

YES.

grim168
    Free Member

+1 for giordana tenax. Used them on my lejog and they were great.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i got some old high end gore which were actually an assos collaboration, if they're anything to go by then assos are ace. Not sure i could justify the price though, minty arse lard anyone?

Pauly

+1 for Santini. All handmade in Italy, whereas Assos is made in Romania now.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I had some F1 Uno for my Birthday last year, 8 months later they are in the bin.

+ Well made and nestle your meat and two veg like no other shorts.

– Mad sizing, I had to shorten the straps on my bib, the chamois pinches, pulls at hairs, shifts around, and creates a very sore perineum, anything over 2 hours in the saddle became very uncomfortable, material faded.

Gone back to Giordana Tenax, fit and forget, lovely shorts.

mrmo
    Free Member

got five pairs, milles and uno's yes they are very nice shorts. But, the current pricing is insane, thanks GB!!!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

+1 for Santini. All handmade in Italy, whereas Assos is made in Romania now.

I had a pair of Santini shorts for one ride, that's how long the stitching lasted.

wool

Not worth the money had to exchange my after two rides after drawing blood around my n*ts. On Inspection they had been stiched badley Bike Treks ( thanks Keith) swapped for pearls which have been fantastic.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Yes and opt for the F1 mille as the best shorts I've ever owned. Just check the sizing before you buy as come up rather small.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i think theyre the best shorts ive ever used….im pretty good on price! 🙂 mille for long distance and uno as a training short…

solarider
    Free Member

I have used Assos for years, and always used to swear by it. It always used to be worth the extra for fit (which in theory any other brand could achieve but never used to) and quality.

Castelli have certainly matched them for fit now.

And in terms of quality, Assos just doesn't last as long as it used to. Interestingly, reading the little card that came with my last Assos, this is intentional. The materials they use now are engineered for performance, not longevity. So, it's great, while it lasts, but it doesn't stand up to the rigours of repeated washing and wearing as much as it used to.

Also, being quite tall, Asos shorts now come up too short in the leg. They always used to, but the higher up the Asos range you go, the shorter they seem to be. To the extent that I switched to their 'knickers' (3/4 length)

I have switched to Gore (top half) and Castelli (bottom half).

sputnik
    Free Member

Another vote for Giordana Tenax, decent price and high quality and comfort.

njee20
    Free Member

Solarider was that you I saw out twice yesterday in a yellow jacket on a Seven of some sort with a 9000mm headtube? Second time was going up Coombe Bottom, forget where the other time was!

I've got a 7 year old pair of FI.13s, I put a massive hole in the arse crashing, but just stitched it up and use them under tights now, they're still great! As are my other two pairs of FI.13s.

My last pair of Mille's are looking quite haggared now, and I just don't find the Unos comfortable, the pad is far too nappy-like. The latest FI.13 S5s are just silly money, and when I tried a pair on, they didn't fit nearly as well as the S2s IMO.

Track down old stock somewhere, I bet it doesn't turn over that fast, I know it didn't with us, or buy top end Gore these days!

solarider
    Free Member

Not me njee. But I guess all Sevens have long head tubes. It's what a decent bike fit does for geometry!

njee20
    Free Member

All custom bikes seem to have long head tubes, they look ridiculous. This one yesterday looked stupid! He was really struggling to keep it going in a straight line up Coombe Lane, all joking aside, it was well over a foot long, and he didn't look particularly tall! Must've ridden like a total dog!

somafunk

I didn't get on with the Assos shorts when i tried a pair a few years ago, i thought they were massively overpriced and didn't live up to the hype in the slightest, so i went back to my tried and trusted brand of Sugoi, their RS short is fantastic value and their baggy Gustov is perfectly acceptable for down the pub use after rides.

mcboo
    Free Member

So I dug around on the web a bit, looked at the Cytec (EIT) website. They supply all these guys.

http://www.elasticinterface.com/cycling-pads-clothing/cycling-technology-pads-brands.php

So I guess if you go to the tope end of any of these brands you are getting much the same kind of pad?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

not a fan of their fit myself.

Gore Xenon for best and Giordana Tenax for everyday.

13thfloormonk

I got some in a sale (£25 😀 ) and they've been great, comfortable and long lasting. the chamois feels wierd when you stand up, but in the saddle its perfect.

Plus, by buying Assos you get 1 millionth of a percent closer to getting somewhere with that girl in the catalogue…

mcboo
    Free Member

………..oh that girl.

Militant_biker

Plus, by buying Assos you get 1 millionth of a percent closer to getting somewhere with that girl in the catalogue…

LOL!

My tuppence is that they fit me perfectly. Older Equipes are quite snug, but the F1 Mille_S5 is noticeably thinner, lighter and more comfy. Am tempted by the new Castellis though. Also, the new Endura Equipe stuff looks pretty good, and judging by the build quality and materials I've seen so far, their shorts could be a winner.

13thfloormonk

Reason why you'll never find an Assos catalogue in a bike shop… 😆

</lowering the tone…>

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

they are very very good.

mcboo
    Free Member

I got the F1 Mille in the end, have been wearing them on 5-6hr rides on the road bike. They are tremendous. I was all focused on pad quality but the whole fit is just lovely. Love them.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Assos shorts. They worth it?’ is closed to new replies.