Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Assos Layering Question – Roadie
  • Stevo210
    Free Member

After signing up for a long charity bike ride and with the prospect of doing some local sportif’s I decided to splash out on some Assos bib-shorts, to save my rear.

Ive just purchased some Assos FI Uno’s and with no real experience of what to expect in the world of Bibs or Lycra (devout MTB’er, full baggies with more pockets that I can count) I have realised that they are pretty thin and I’m gonna freeze my ass off in most months other than perhaps July and that’s touch and go.

My question is, do I stick with the Uno’s and purchase some tights to go over the top, or should I have got the Assos 607 Thermal bibs paired with some leg warmers which I can remove when not needed?

Would the 607’s be too warm for most months other than winter?

Help much appreciated 🙂

plop_pants
    Free Member

I use F1 Uno’s all winter. With a good pair of leg warmers that pull up to the top of the leg that’s all I’ve needed. Always use the wash bag for the shorts. Since doing this I’ve found they last much longer and dont fade so quickly.

Edric64
    Free Member

If I had spent that much on shorts I would wear tights over them to protect them if I fell off

Stevo210
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip on the Washbag.

Seriously, you dont get cold at the top of your thighs or bum

What would you recommend as a good pair of leg warmers?

kilo

Use assos and bib tights at the moment, when the weather gets warmer swap the bibs for knee warmers, as well as using the wash bag make sure the velcro on any saddle you might use bag doesn’t catch the shorts as that shreds them as well and liberal use of chamois cream

Stevo210
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

If I had spent that much on shorts I would wear tights over them to protect them if I fell off Im with you on that, but they are clearly well thought out bibs. Just didnt want to be making things uncomfortable as when they are on its like they are not there.

Stevo210
    Free Member

kilo – Member

Use assos and bib tights at the moment, when the weather gets warmer swap the bibs for knee warmers, as well as using the wash bag make sure the velcro on any saddle you might use bag doesn’t catch the shorts as that shreds them as well and liberal use of chamois cream Thanks. What bib tights are you using. I have been considering some DHB bib longs…with good reviews and not too badly priced. I wanted to splash out on the bit that counts, the all important contact point!

JoB
    Free Member

just slip some bib-longs over the top, as you’ve got decent shorts you don’t need the padded versions, and you don’t need to spend huge amounts on them, just the ones that fit you the best

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of those and you can use them from late March until late October in most places in the UK. As already mentioned a pair of knee warmers will help for temperatures below 18 degrees. You won’t freeze to death in them and they are by far the comfiest shorts out there even if they cost ridiculous money.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I must admit I felt a bit chilly on my ride today but it was -5 to 0 degrees. I like Santini leg warmers, just the normal roubaix one’s. I’ve got a more expensive pair of their H2O’s and they are no warmer.

kilo

Dhb will be fine, mine were nothing special, as you say it’s the contact point that matters

Stevo210
    Free Member

kilo – Member

Dhb will be fine, mine were nothing special, as you say it’s the contact point that matters Thanks for the advise. Does it make a big difference to the feel of the Bib shorts underneath. I keep thinking that the crotch will be hanging down and snagging on the seat and just being rubbish spoiling the good shorts underneath……we’ll see I guess.

pinches
    Free Member

i’ve been riding all winter in my S5 Milles with assos leg warmers and over shoes and never really been cold downstairs.

puddings
    Free Member

+1 for the Santani leg warmers for when the temperature (windchill) is below 10 degrees – make sure that they are the full leg version – the shorter ones are knee warmers and dont quite reach the top of the thigh meaning you get cold(unless you have stumpy legs) under 5 deg I tend to stick on the tights, mainly because it is extra insulation for the lower back.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Assos Layering Question – Roadie’ is closed to new replies.