Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Assisted dying survey ( I think)
  • tjagain

Sorry to hear that.  I hope he had as good a death as possible ( I know its an odd concept but…)

A peaceful dignified pain free death with our loved ones around us is the best we can all hope for at the end

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks. I think he did, within the law.

I’d like more options when my time comes though. The past week, probably two, I’d give a miss. Not easy.

tjagain

good.  Hold on to that.

vazaha

Completed – Other: Just get on with it

Thanks also, tj, very moving – and helpful for me personally as my Father is currently battling cancer and is nearing the end game. Forewarned and all that.

Preaching to the choir with me, really, one fears we have the same journey ahead as with ‘presumed consent’ – my wife saw her best friend die over the course of a five year wait for a lung that never came. Hopefully this journey will be quicker.

We’ll get there in the end, of that i am sure, let’s hope that this hastens it.

kerley
    Free Member

Survey now closed so guess the deadline was midnight?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Thanks TJ, explains much of what I witnessed daily during my grandfather’s last few weeks, brings it all back.

Missed the survey sadly

fatmax

TJ – just to echo what others have said – moving and informative, thank you.
    If it was me and based on what you said, I’d like to duck out with the last two weeks to go.
    I definitely feel we need to change from having nothing.

tjagain

Thanks

I didn’t mean to write a much about “us” but more concentrate on what actually happens in end of life.  I got a bit carried away 😉

Many people have little experience or understanding and I wanted to help with that. and to demystify things a little.  We need honest conversations and we need to understand that even the best palliative care can only alleviate not eliminate distress in most cases.  where someone is dying of old age its a bit different in that good palliative care will mean very little to no distress but in cancer its not so.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Many thanks TJ for putting some [ heart rending] detail on the thread.

Wasn’t sure if you were aware of this survey/ consultation/deadline but knew you’d be keen for people to input

twistedpencil

TJ your post is incredibly moving and more people need to see this, not sure how but contact the press maybe?

And RJ, thanks for bringing to my attention, I completed the survey off the back of your post yesterday.

tjagain

I’ve been in the press, I’ve been on radio, I’ve lobbied MSPs, I’m supporting others in lobbying. I am part of an organised campaign in Scotland via “dignity in Dying”.  I’m hoping to get further opportunity as the bill passes thru Holyrood to make the case.  I’m bashing the ears of anyone who will listen 🙂

Ta generalist.  I wasn’t aware of the Westminster campaign

tjagain

The church of Scotland has put a piece in the Scotsman objecting to the proposed change in Scots law.  I have written a rebuttal letter nd ask yo to do the same

the piece to object to
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/opinion-is-this-really-what-a-caring-society-in-scotland-means-moderator-explains-kirk-opposition-to-assisted-dying-3996551

Send your letters to <b>lettersts@scotsman.com</b>. Include your name, address and phone number (full details will not be printed). Keep your letters under 300 words, and include the title/date of the article to which you are responding (Opinion: Is this really what a caring society in Scotland means? Moderator explains Kirk opposition to assisted dying, Rt Rev Dr Iain Greenshields, 22rd January)

this is a good example of the religious using bogus secular arguments to prop up their religious objections.

Gert writing folks!

tjagain

Also to any scots – please write to Sturgeon.  She has said that she is open to this and that testimony from people has shifted her view from no to maybe

firstminister@gov.scot

Ta

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The church of Scotland has put a piece in the Scotsman

I just don’t get this. In a sane and just world the editor of the scotsman would read the following part of the churches statement and then just throw the whole effing lot of it in the bin where it belongs:

“Our opposition is based on our Christian faith”

Vile, sanctimonious, preaching fools.

Proof, if ever there was, that there is no god 😉

tjagain

Yup – it stinks

I have fought for a religious person to have what I knew was futile treatment because they thought it necessary under their religion.  Thats the reality of my duty as a nurse – to represent the persons views.  I am quite happy for the religious to be able to opt out of any role in assisted dying.  I wish they would show me the same respect

Religion has no place in the secular world.  They have no right to try to impose their creed on me.  Imagine the row if a  Muslim leader tried to ban all alcohol sales or a Hindu to ban all beef products?

chewkw
    Free Member

Religion has no place in the secular world.

They believers and non-believers balance each other out.

My view is do as you wish with your life and your body but just don’t impose (referring to all parties whatever …)

Bear the consequences by own self and have a good death whatever way one prefers.

fossy

Having been through sitting with MIL for her last week (24/7), assisted dying at that stage is far less distressing for the individual. We withdrew treatment after her condition deteriorated, but took almost a week to pass away after no water or food. Medication wasn’t always successful, leading to her becoming distressed as it wore off.

tjagain

I got my rebuttal letter published in the scotsman.  I’m well pleased

so folks – you can make your voice heard.  Its worth the effort to write to the politicians and the press.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/letters/readers-letters-my-partner-would-have-chosen-assisted-dying-3998812?fbclid=IwAR3p00kYbe-f7-ttzeABh62nm2-WfYrPVUeOaNAzlCvNIxpi5rBxuDTH-Ds

natrix
    Free Member

I got my rebuttal letter published

Well done, it’s an issue that doesn’t get enough press. With both my father-in-law in France and my father in the UK, the palliative care team cranked up the pain relief and sedative doses so that they spent their last few days asleep which gave them some dignity, but this might not have been strictly within the law in either country…………

tjagain

Ok folks – final nag

the anti organizations are orchestrating a campaign.  These are almost all run by fundamental religious folk pretending to have secular arguments and are largely funded by money from extremeist “christian” groups from the US.  I can post the evidence once I have permission if folk want

We need the secular folk who are pro humane measures at end of life to lobby MPs, MSPs and Sturgeon

Get those emails / letters written.  Thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.