Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Assegai, Maxx grip, DD ..in 29 flavour?
  • dumbbot
    Free Member

Is there any? anywhere?
    Help in locating one would be appreciated.

craig24
    Free Member

I think you’ll struggle in the UK, you could order from one of the German sites –

https://r2-bike.com/MAXXIS-Tire-Assegai-29-x-250-WT-3C-MaxxGrip-DoubleDown

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Tredz – you should be able to get a code to get a £5 discount as well. I bought one 2 weeks ago but really wanted EXO – but there’s zero chance of getting EXO in the UK. So MaxxGrip DD it was

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Maxxis-Assegai-Folding-3C-Tubeless-Ready-29-MTB-Tyre_210152.htm?sku=642145&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping

mark88

@blahblahblah I have an unused EXO 29er in the garage, but I only ride DD these days. Could do a swap if you want?

dumbbot
    Free Member

Well, I asked via live chat if that was a DD casing and they said it was so I’ve taken a punt, we’ll see what shows up.

So thanks for that blahblahblah..

escrs
    Free Member

Ive just asked the same question and was told its a downhill casing!

dumbbot
    Free Member

Probably be a skinwall road tyre that shows up….

It can go back if it is..

dumbbot
    Free Member

So aye turns out that it is in fact a DH casing,..absolute numpties.

Could someone explain the difference between the DD & DH casing? I mean a few grams in it VS a DD casing. Its going on the front of a coil enduro bike(to replace a DD shorty for the summer) I really like the ‘feel’ of the DD and thought the DH casing might be a bit wooden?

Anyone ridden both could offer some thoughts?

argee

You’ll be fine, a few grams in it with a little more sidewall protection, the maxx grip will be the same, so it’ll probably feel almost identical, maybe slightly stiffer, in a good way, if there was a feeling.

https://uk.thelostco.com/blogs/blog/maxxis-mtb-tire-sidewalls-explained

chakaping
    Free Member

Could someone explain the difference between the DD & DH casing?

I believe it’s 60tpi (DH) vs 120tpi (DD) thread counts.

I haven’t ridden the current DH tyres, but it could feel more wooden yeah. I found the DD Assegai MaxxGrip very draggy anyway and I’m much happier with a less-stiff carcass and an insert on the front.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I found the DD Assegai MaxxGrip very draggy

This, hilariously so.

I once raced a friend down a (fairly long) hill on road – no pedalling allowed etc.

She was pregnant and thus was sat fairly upright on her bike (with minions). I was in a full aero tuck on a pair of MaxxGrip DD Assegais, and got dropped…. By a large margin 😅

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

Recently bought one here. Arrived in a few days and was all fine. Mantel appear to do things different from the German sites in that they only accept orders up to £135 so no tax upon delivery.

https://www.mantel.com/uk/maxxis-assegai-dd-tr-tyre?autocomplete=1

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have a few in the tyre stash of varying Assegai’s. Combinations of DH, DD & EXO+, mostly MaxxGrip compounds & the odd Maxxterra.

When comparing the DD/DH in the same compound, they are both pretty slow tyres (not as slow as the Michelin DH variants however). For the weight difference, the DH does feel quite a bit stiffer – much more like the DH22 in terms of feel. I found I needed to run a couple of PSI less to get a similar DD feel to the tyre (otherwise it felt like I was running too much compression on the fork).

dumbbot
    Free Member

I’m currently on a DD maxx grip Shorty,…and previously I was running the Wild Enduros(all the drags), so neither is exactly fast rolling.

That bad? I was just looking to change up now that things have dried.

Any other ideas then?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Unless you are racing, I would probably stay away from the DD or above carcass on the front, the Assegai’s are seemingly a bit thicker & heavier than all of the other Maxxis range from experience.

I don’t think you can really go wrong with an EXO+ Maxx Terra on the front for most riding. There are places selling them at the moment (29″ anyway).

stevedoc
    Free Member

Stealth add but .. ive a part worn dh cased one sat in the garage if you want

argee

I’m currently on a DD maxx grip Shorty,…and previously I was running the Wild Enduros(all the drags), so neither is exactly fast rolling.

That bad? I was just looking to change up now that things have dried.

Any other ideas then?

DD MaxxGrip Shorty’s are the winter tyre of choice for me, but the draggiest tyres on tarmac ever, this time of year they are just pointless and fast wearing, probably the reason you’re shifting over.

As Hob-Nob says, it depends what you’re doing, DD’s for me are for bike park stuff mainly, bit stronger sidewall for those jumps, drops, etc, but just now, if not hitting jumpy stuff, i just live with DHR2s, maxx terra and 3C compound, faster rolling and cope with most stuff you see this time of year, Assegai’s just feel a bit compromised, either not a shorty in winter, and not really a hardpack tyre for summer, so always a bit goldilocks.

I am trying a set of Vittorias this year though, the Mazza’s, which i picked up, they look good and have worked in a couple of rides so far, but as with tyres, it’s always a compromise.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I have a Maxx Grip DD Assegai 29er virtually unused, hung up in the garage. PM me if you are interested.

escrs
    Free Member

Just ordered a 29 x2.5wt DD Maxxgrip Assegai from Mantel for £60 delivered

They are my fav tyre on the e-mtb (run them front and rear) loads of grip, good sidewall protection and go on relativly easy (unlike the DH version!)

Killed loads of EXO DHF & DHR sidewalls over the years on the e-mtb

A combo of mud, chalk, roots and lots of flints & rocks takes its toll on sidewalls

The DD Assegai’s only die once the tread is so worn down that they just dont grip anything anymore so are perfect for the Southdowns and QECP as one min your riding the hardpack blue route then you can be on the loose and loamy unoffical stuff and then out on the downs its chalky and flint tastic

dumbbot
    Free Member

I did manage to get one thanks to Mike @20twenty bikes sorting me out, and I had my first ride yesterday at a very dry and loose Forest of Ae.

I didn’t find they dragged anymore than the shorty, I really didn’t notice…it’s not a light bike(all the coils,high pivots etc) so and maybe I’m just used to it by now.

By they performed well, probably idea conditions for the Assegai’s right enough…super loose.

Edit: oh I’ve got Mazza/Martello combo on the hardtail,… they’ve been doing well, maybe not quite as grippy as the Maxxis equivalent but they roll better and seem to wear better as well.

jree
    Free Member

My brothers selling an assegai mate. Let me know if you’re interested still and I’ll find out which it is.
    Jonnyhindley@hotmail.co.uk

honourablegeorge

dumbbot

I didn’t find they dragged anymore than the shorty,

LOl…you compared it to the one tyre that’s draggier 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.