Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Assaulted on my morning ride! 😟
  • oceanskipper

Out for my usual early morning ride around the riverbanks at 6am this morning when I came accross 4 lads, 2 on mopeds doing donuts on the grass. They saw me and tried to surround me and spat a drink at me but I saw a gap and cycled between them. One tried to grab my handlebars as I went past. They were clearly all wasted as their eyes were glazed over. Next thing one of them chased after me on his moped and tried to run me off the path down the bank into the river. Eventually I had no choice but to stop. I tried to get my phone out to call for help but every time I tried to use it he attempted to grab it. Eventually he just said “bye” and drove his bike into me pushing me down a steep bank. By this time the other three had turned up and were contemplating coming down the bank after me. I managed to get my phone out at this point and dialled 999. When I held it to my ear they sped off. No chance of catching them as no number plates on the scooters. Police turned up and basically said that unfortunately I was just another victim of crime and that would be the end of it as they will never likely be identified. Fortunately just cuts and grazes and most importantly bike is OK!!! FFS!

wooobob

Sounds horrible mate, glad you weren’t badly hurt. I tend to assume the number of toerags/nutters is lower early mornings, but clearly not totally zero. Where are/were you?

lowey

Horrible for you mate. Really horrible.

Be kind to yourself the next few days… speaking as someone who was assaulted on the bike myself, the memory can last. It did make me want to try and arm myself with something for my commute…

Utter scum.

v7fmp

jeez! that sounds pretty traumatic for you.

i dont know what i would have done in that situation. Its a sorry state of affairs that you cant go for a ride without this happening.

Is Pepper spray legal?

colp

Horrible experience, hope it doesn’t put you off.

Should have told the cops that you were having a curry.

monkeyboyjc

A holes….😡

fasthaggis

That’s a crap and crazy start to a day.Glad you are OK and don’t give yourself a hard time over ‘what ifs’. I hate the idea of us all having to camera up and film everything ‘just in case’ but it does feel at times now that that is the only option these days. 😞

Drac

Utter ****! Hope you heal soon and Lowey’s advice is good.

oceanskipper

Where are/were you?

Durham.

I’m obviously now really nervous about going out again but the alternative is riding on the road which I hate doing when I’m on my own…

Maybe I’ll feel better about it later..🤷‍♂️

a11y

Hope you’re alright. As someone else who enjoys their early morning solo rides in remote places, I can relate. Been a couple of times I’ve felt uneasy when encountering groups, but thankfully nothing’s ever happened.

Don’t let it stop you. Easier said than done I know.

I’ve got front and rear Cycliq camera/lights I bought when I commuted on road and have often thought about using them on my morning offroad rides, but it feels like overkill. Perhaps not though.

andybrad

Thats horrible. i really feel for you OP 🙁

where do you live

devash
    Free Member

Horrible mate. Having grown up in the North East and been on the receiving end of this type of random violence in my youth I fully sympathise with you. Nasty situation to be in.

Where are/were you?

Durham.

This explains the lack of police interest. They’re all too busy investigating people for eating curry.

bobbyspangles

proper rubbish mate
    some people deserve to be put in a little box and fired into space.
    i hope it doesn’t put you off.

MoreCashThanDash

Is there a local FB group you can use to ask and see if anyone in that area may have CCTV or doorbell footage – might have something showing them on their way to or from?

Add a description of them and the bikes as best you can remember, might also help.

If that prompts someone else to report a similar incident, then the Police may have to take it more seriously if there’s a pattern.

Sadly cameras are the only real alternative, whether that puts them off or escalates it in these circumstances I’m not sure.

Bastards

gardentiger
    Free Member

Hopefully karma will do its thing and they’ll end up getting filled in and chucked in the canal.

Hope you are not too shaken up.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Is Pepper spray legal?

Not in the UK (neither most of Europe) it’s classed as a firearm.

You can get small spray canisters of criminal ‘identifier’ dye (eg. Farb Gel) Which I’m sure would be disorientating if you squirt it in their eyes. Manufacturers claim up to 4 metres effective distance. Of course, scumbags hunting in packs make this less effective, yet possibly better than nothing if truly cornered?

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

That’s horrible. Must be feeling crap.

Try to remember, MOST people are good people. It only takes a tiny percentage to ruin it.

nickc

Sounds like a bad experience. Sorry to hear it.

You’re OK though which is the main thing I guess.

oceanskipper

I’m OK, thanks all. Just a bit shaken up. I’m going to try hard to carry on with my early morning rides. Watch out for a “what is the best on bike camera” thread!!! 😂

Although I’d love to be Jack Reacher I’m clearly not and I wouldn’t dream of arming myself with anything at all. Trouble with that is a) you’ve got to be prepared to use it and b) no better than them at that point. Not to mention the legality of anything like that. Powerless actually in reality which is a sad state of affairs.

Anyway, thanks for all the sympathy, cheered me up and reminded me that not everyone is a @**#.

Oh and Durham @andybrad

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Very sorry to hear about your experience. That is horrible and ultimately frustrating as it brings a feeling of powerlessness.
    On the plus side, try and take some solace in the fact that bad things happen to bad people – they’re likely to get what they deserve one way or another.

multi21
    Free Member

Bad luck, glad you & your bike are alright. Some proper 🔔🔚s about.

plus-one

Aye the young team really don’t give a **** now !! Brazen as you like knowing they are pretty much untouchable !!

I had a lad around 11 years old ranting at me and trying to tell me how to do my job few weeks back 🙁

thegeneralist
    Free Member

was just another victim of crime and that would be the end of it

This is indeed the case. My son and friend were attacked in the local park … to the extent that his friend had difficulty eating for a few days due to jaw pain. Only 5 months later after a stiff letter to our MP did the cops actually get off their arse and come and speak to him.

as they will never likely be identified.

And if they are it won’t make the blindest bit of **** difference. The cops know who did my son but say there is no chance of a prosecution as there were no witnesses ( apart from my son’s 3 friends and the other 14 people in the gang)

see if anyone in that area may have CCTV or doorbell footage – might have something showing them on their way to or from?

Last I heard going in a direction isn’t a crime. This won’t help in the slightest. The OP needs independent witnesses that actually saw the blows land and are willing to testify

Aye the young team really don’t give a **** now !! Brazen as you like knowing they are pretty much untouchable !!

This 😒

Cougar

A word to the wise: if you have a “usual” ride then your movements are predictable.

anagallis_arvensis

I had a lad around 11 years old ranting at me and trying to tell me how to do my job few weeks back

I get that every day!!

oceanskipper

They are very likely from a very small estate nearby which used to be a police no go area apparently and did at one point have cctv in cages on long poles but it has been off for a while as I understand the area improved – this is info from Mrs OS who grew up here. The cameras are still there but they aren’t active. Police actually said that they have had antisocial behaviour reports regarding bikes and they are pretty sure the culprits come from this estate but they have no resources and can’t catch them at it. Apparently in Peterlee they just ride about the town with balaclavas on knowing they are untouchable because of the inability of the police to catch them.

These were proper scary looking scallywags and had they not assaulted me I was going to call the Police anyway.

Anyhow there were no witnesses (despite the number of runnners/walkers about generally, there were none at this time.)

In an unrelated incident a few weeks ago my 12 year old got off the school bus with 3 friends and they were approached by two older lads who were holding a phone up videoing. One of the lads just started punching my son’s friend in the face  while being videoed claiming “this is going on TikTok this is”. It all happened within sight of my house about 40m away and is partially on my cctv but the police say nothing will happen as the boy doesn’t want to press charges as he fears reprisals. The cctv isn’t good enough to actually identify their faces as it’s top of the frame and too far away.

Honestly the world is a mess.

reluctantjumper

Glad to hear you’re ok, getting assaulted is not a pleasant thing to experience.

As someone who’s been assaulted multiple times (3 times in private life, 4 at work) I’d advise you watch out for delayed reactions to it, can take a day or two for the brain to fully process what has happened. If you have a partner then to watch for changes in behaviour as you may not notice them. Also don’t let it out you off riding early, it’s one of the safer times, you were just unlucky.

Bunnyhop

I just want to wish you all the best.
    What a dreadful thing to happen. But as others have said it is rare and these horrible excuses for human beings will end up doing this to the ‘wrong’ person one day, getting their comeuppance.

We live in a ‘nice, quiet’ area and this happened in a local park to a youth on his mtbike, the bike was forcibly taken with violence, lots of witnesses. Police said the same to his family, that the horrors (on scooters and with face masks) can’t be identified. Luckily our councillor and MP have got involved.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Honestly the world is a mess.

Yep. These nasty people need a jolly good talking to!
    Either that or a slap, but apparently violence isn’t the answer. So it’s only going to get worse.
    @oceanskipper, where exactly was this? Just wondering which estate they might have been from.

oceanskipper

It’s the Sherburn Road estate.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about this and hope you are ok. Whilst every part of me is wanting to suggest taking a few mates with you on the next few rides it will just escalate things. Evils shits like this will know other evil shits.

My suggestion would be to get a rape alarm. I have them attached to the dog leads in case my wife or kids run into any trouble whilst they are out and about. It would be simple to attach one to your stem or under the saddle. Bullies etc work on the fact no one knows what they are doing, a screetching rape alarm may just be enough to make them reconsider.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s the Sherburn Road estate.

Thought so. It’s always been a lovely place. We’re you down near Houghall?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I had a similar thing happen along the canal when i lived in the midlands, luckily i was tooled up, the fear left my body and entered theirs.

rone

Had a similar incident (though no contact) with 3 chuffs chasing me and the GF on mopeds near Chesterfield.

I’m a bit immune to seeing off-road bikes and mopeds – but don’t expect them to bother us generally.

Clearly times are changing.

It’s such a shame that the countryside was the last amazing thing about the UK – is becoming a bit of a refuge for A/S behavior or worse. Bugger off back to the ‘burbs.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Scary stuff, hope you’re ok OP and back on the bike soon

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I had a similar thing happen along the canal when i lived in the midlands, luckily i was tooled up, the fear left my body and entered theirs.

We want details…😀

oceanskipper

We’re you down near Houghall?

I was down past the  old walled gardens when I first saw them. Opposite the Amateur Rowing Club when he shoved me down the bank. Luckily there’s a railing at the bottom otherwise me and the bike would have gone in the river. Couldn’t get back out initially  as too steep.

Hope you’re okay chap? Take it easy and try and find things to fill your soul the next week or so.

Little **** could do with some restorative justice. By restorative I mean waterboarding until they see the error of their ways.

poolman
    Free Member

Sorry to read this, I had a similar thing happen a while ago, lots of things occur post event how you could have handled it better but it’s really not worth the risk. Now I just carry a few quid and copies of I’d.

2 weeks ago my local cycle path was taped off, the scrotes had mugged an old lady, how brave. They are only kids, hang about the track picking their victim depending on vulnerability. I just make eye contact and stare them out, a kid did jump out once on me I stopped he legged it.

If you are struggling go back with a mate to recover your confidence.

oceanskipper

If there was a like button all the responses would have got a like from me. Thanks for all the sympathy/empathy/encouragement. Cheers everyone. 👍

I’m keen to go back out soon and I have changed the SOS setting on my phone so that repeated presses of the side button will actually dial 999 without any further intervention. Part of the problem this morning was that I had gloves on and couldn’t operate my phone. I didn’t want to let go of the bike in case they saw that as an opportunity to nick it and as he was already trying to grab the phone it made it impossible to swipe the screen one handed with the other holding the bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.