Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 425 total)
  • Assange.
  • Edukator
    Free Member

Why check? Madame is quite capable of looking after herself when she chooses to, which is pretty much my point, if she hadn’t got interested and I’d persisted I would now be in no state to type this.

The changes against Assange are just a pretext to get him to Sweden where he’ll be promptly extradited to the US. I won’t be buying anything from Ikea for the foreseeable future.

mogrim

Rapist or not, he could at least tuck his shirt in and close his top button before appearing before the world’s press!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Rhetoric, little substance. Just a little bit disappointed.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Plenty substance in that lot. Governments are bad M’Kay.

atlaz
    Free Member

I suggest that those that believe the claim of rape should try it before they accuse M.Assange of rape

So because your missus didn’t call the police Assasnge didn’t rape that woman? That’s an awesome leap to make.

Edukator
    Free Member

The women originally just wanted him HIV tested and it was a long time before there was any mention of rape – trawl back through the reports from when it first made the press.

The whole thing has blown up from the fact he didn’t use a condom the second time although the woman had insisted he use one the first time. IMO sex does not become rape just because you don’t use a condom. You can call it poisoning or something if it turns out he’s HIV positive. If sex become rape if you don’t use a condom when asked then perhaps sex should also become rape when women lie about being on the pill.

One way or another I’m convinced Assange will wind up silenced in an American jail because a Swedish journalist claimed to be asleep when having sex with the guy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So because your missus didn’t call the police Assasnge didn’t rape that woman? That’s an awesome leap to make.

I think his point was rather you cannot have sex with someone without waking them up which seems reasonable

IanMunro
    Free Member

The changes against Assange are just a pretext to get him to Sweden where he’ll be promptly extradited to the US. I won’t be buying anything from Ikea for the foreseeable future.

Assange applied 2 years ago for Sweedish residency because he admired the fact the country had laws that protected whistle blowers. I haven’t seen anything that mentions that the laws and protection that existed then have changed in the meantime. Have they changed?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you claiming Sweden, like say Ecuador, have sated on record they will protect him as a whistleblower?
    Perhaps their refusal to grant permission for him to remain their, their refusal to assure they wont send him to the USA and the charges have made him reconsider his views of them and their justice system?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Quite possibly. But they do still host the wikileaks website there, and I’d imagine that would have gone if they were really a poodle of the US.

mt
    Free Member

Am now of the conclusion that he is trying to avoid the charges back in Sweden. He is not making himself look good.

Edukator
    Free Member

Did you see today’s statements on TV, mt? He’s made it clear he’s happy to face justice in Sweden if they promise not to hand him over to the US. All of the issues he raised today (or those selected by France 3) concerned US attempts to silence Wikileaks by any means, not about some rather bizarre accusations by a couple of Swedish journos.

Lifer
    Free Member

A good summary with links to stuff:

Ecuador!

For this to have all been a set-up or ruse by two women serving US interests, as some of the more ridiculous Assange defenders have claimed, is absurd. Like the claims from Mohamed Fayed and others about the “plot” to kill Princess Diana, which would have been foiled had Di deigned to wear her seat belt, this nefarious scheme would have failed completely had Assange decided to keep Mr Happy in his trousers.

The expert opinion written by Stockholm’s former chief district prosecutor outlines some of the anomalies: the naming of Assange to begin with; the failure to interview Assange while he was still in Sweden, despite the prosecutor taking over the case nearly a month before he left; and the police interviewing the complainants together rather than separately.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think, though could be wrong on this, that on the whole countries don’t take kindly to have taking terms dictated to them by individuals. So although Sweden might be able to resolve this by making such a promise, I doubt they will. Much in the same way that we as a country generally won’t pay money to hostage takers to resolve a situation even if such a compromise might save the life of someone.
    And Sweden as a state, still appears to completely support wikileaks.

Lifer
    Free Member

Opinion on Assange case – Stockholm’s former prosecutor

16.To use the European Arrest Warrant without first having tried to arrange an interrogation in England at the earliest possible time via a request for Mutual Legal Assistance seems to me to be against the principle of proportionality.

Since I understand that he has been willing to be interviewed by these means since leaving Sweden, I regard the Prosecutor’s refusal to at least try to interview as being unreasonable and unprofessional, as well as unfair and disproportionate.

18. I understand that Ms Ny has said that Swedish law prevents her from taking this course. There is, however, nothing in Swedish law that I know of to prevent a prosecutor from seeking mutual legal assistance to have a suspect interviewed.

IanMunro
    Free Member

BTW Anyone know what the names of the Sweedish newspapers that are say the equivalent of the Telegraph and Guardian?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Interesting links Lifer – the ex prosecutor does list a number of inconsistencies and the blog is, well, a blog but interesting nonetheless. Links are also worth following and reading.

All getting very intriguing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ian – Svenska Dagbladet is the main newspaper that I am aware of and the one that seems to be particularly read in Stockholm. Not sure of the others or of the political persuasions. Guessing a bit between the two papers you mention for the UK, but that is more of a hunch.

sadmadalan

Ironically enough at the moment Assange has broken UK law and when he is arrested he will be shipped off to Sweden. The warrant from Sweden is legal, Assange has been through our entire legal system to get that confirmed. Sweden does have a legal system that is no worse than the so the ECHR will not step in.

The rest of this – i.e. what will the Americans do, what will Ecuador do is just a guessing game. Any whistle blower who releases information does so on the understanding that they have put themselves at risk. They hope that the greater powers choose to ignore what they have done. I am not saying that what Assange did was right or wrong ( we don’t have time for that) but he must have know that the US would come after him.

But this is not relevant. He is a criminal (i.e. he has broken UK laws) and will be arrested when he leaves the embassy. Eventually the Ecuadorians will kick him out and he will end up in Sweden. What happens to him after that is (at the moment) just a guess.

I am pissed off that he says that he will only go to Sweden if they will not extradite him to another country. No one has the right to demand that and he knows it, he is just trying to show that Sweden is being unreasonable.

What I am hoping is that the UK will send him to Sweden and the refuse to have him back ever!

mt
    Free Member

“I am pissed off that he says that he will only go to Sweden if they will not extradite him to another country. No one has the right to demand that and he knows it, he is just trying to show that Sweden is being unreasonable.

What I am hoping is that the UK will send him to Sweden and the refuse to have him back ever!”

Agree with this.

grum
    Free Member

Ironically enough at the moment Assange has broken UK law

But this is not relevant. He is a criminal (i.e. he has broken UK laws)

Which UK laws?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Never mind this – Has anyone ever seen Assange and David Gower in the same room?

No? Thought not.

Lifer
    Free Member

he is just trying to show that Sweden is being unreasonable.

And a former Swedish District Prosecutor agrees with him.

Since I understand that he has been willing to be interviewed by these means since leaving Sweden, I regard the Prosecutor’s refusal to at least try to interview as being unreasonable and unprofessional, as well as unfair and disproportionate.

But what does he know? Except the ins and outs of Swedish law, unlike the vast majority of people commenting here (myself included).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Which UK laws?

I think there was a man convicted of GBH or similar after infecting a woman with HIV after knowing he was +ve and not telling her? Tenuous, but like most people in this thread I CBA to check the facts properly.

Lifer
    Free Member

AFAIK the only thing he’s done over here is break his bail conditions.

Lifer
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I think there was a man convicted of GBH or similar after infecting a woman with HIV after knowing he was +ve and not telling her? Tenuous, but like most people in this thread I CBA to check the facts properly.

Assange has HIV?

atlaz
    Free Member

AFAIK the only thing he’s done over here is break his bail conditions.

I think that’s what he’ll be arrested for. Once in custody he’ll be shipped off to Sweden. Once in Sweden he will either:

a) be interviewed, found there is no case to answer and left to his own devices
    b) be interviewed, found there is no case to answer then shipped to the US in shackles for rum, sodomy and the lash (without the rum)
    c) be interviewed, found there is a case to answer and end up in jail awaiting trial (I’d imagine no Swedish judge would bail him unless legally obligated)

Lifer
    Free Member

atlaz – Member

c) be interviewed, found there is a case to answer and end up in jail awaiting trial (I’d imagine no Swedish judge would bail him unless legally obligated)

🙄

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48396086/Assange-Case-Opionion-Sven-Erik-Alhem

9. Rape suspects are kept in custody awaiting trial and, in my experience, this can take, in extreme cases, many months while matters are further investigated. Sweden has no system of providing security for pre-release detention.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

The whole story is highly unusual and will no doubt be made into a good book/film in the future.

It is difficult to know whats happended here, but as someone who works with sensitive material, governments are technically within thier rights to come down hard on people who make public information of a senstive nature because it threatens the safety of individuals and property, no matter how morally wrong the content may be.

The timing of the Swedish case appears very suspect.

He is a bit weird though. And Australian. And good at maths. He apparently invented a complex maths puzzle which he was very good at. Never trust someone who invents their own maths puzzle and is then very good at it.

mt
    Free Member

at last someone has it just right.

“He is a bit weird though. And Australian. And good at maths. He apparently invented a complex maths puzzle which he was very good at. Never trust someone who invents their own maths puzzle and is then very good at it.”

Not sure if inventing your own puzzle is a problem but being weird most certainly is. Back to Sweden with him.

Having watched him give his speech from that balcony, can imagine he is just a tad disapointed that it was not higher up over looking a vast square filled with adoreing supporters. Perhaps he feels he was under dressed and would have looked better in a smart tailored uniform. Similar to a few of those in his vast imaginary audience but his uniform would be a little better. Oh why he will be thinking did they not salute and cheer after my every sentence.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am pissed off that he says that he will only go to Sweden if they will not extradite him to another country. No one has the right to demand that and he knows it, he is just trying to show that Sweden is being unreasonable.

Why does he not have the right to ask this? How can ne not have the right to “demand” that his liberty is only at risk in the country that is charging him and he will only face those charges.

Why is this unreasonable?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ian – Svenska Dagbladet is the main newspaper that I am aware of and the one that seems to be particularly read in Stockholm. Not sure of the others or of the political persuasions. Guessing a bit between the two papers you mention for the UK, but that is more of a hunch.

Thanks for that thm, I’ve just been looking at it via google translate. Interestingly there appears to be no coverage of US extradition from Sweden angle, but an awful lot on why isn’t he facing the Sweedish justice system.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Edukator
    Free Member

Perhaps that croissant and presumably French beverage is an attempt to butter up the Swedish royal family (descended from Bernadotte).

mcboo
    Free Member

The legal correspondent of the New Statesman nails this. “zombie facts” indeed.

http://t.co/pus48YNR

For Lifer and friends on the far left fringes the world will however always be flat.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

For Lifer and friends on the far left fringes the world will however always be flat.

Why on earth would it be a left verses right issue mcboo ?

Surely this is just simply a case of whether someone should be extradited so that they can be questioned concerning an alleged sexual offence, and whether you are left-wing or right-wing really doesn’t come into it at all.

Or do you see this as a political issue mcboo ?

Do you in fact agree with the Ecuadorean government that this whole case is politically motivated ?

Are you at odds with the official UK government position ?

mcboo
    Free Member

Why on earth would it be a left verses right issue mcboo ?

Oh please. It’s only diehard anti American dogmatists like you Ernie that have any remaining respect for the guy. This isn’t at all a political question, it is one of respect for due process of the law. Laws that have to apply to everyone despite your nauseating attempt to rewrite the rape laws.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Respect for the guy ?…… he isn’t even left-wing ! But you appear to think that he is “far left” !

But one thing you are absolutely right about mcboo, is to see this case as a highly politically motivated, everyone knows it is – I’m just surprised that you should let the cat out of the bag and actually admit !

your nauseating attempt to rewrite the rape laws.

You really do come out with some nonsense mate – what’s that suppose to mean ? 😀

And tell me mcboo, are all the Latin American countries which have very strongly come out in support of Ecuador’s granting of political asylum to Assange also involved in a nauseating attempt to rewrite the rape laws ? Is this a huge global conspiracy by governments to help a rapist evade justice? 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Newsnight now – Gorgeous George about to pronounce on sexual etiquette – should be a little light relief at the very least.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s only diehard anti American dogmatists like you Ernie that have any remaining respect for the guy.

You are right there is no other reason for assuming that the Us may extradite him from Sweden other than die hard hatred of the US and no other reason to support him.

Perhaps we just support a whistle blower, think he should face trial in Sweden FREE FROM THE THREAT OF ENDING UP IN THE US – where his chance of getting a fair trial is nil as we all know if he went there he will go to jail.
    Your weak caricature shows more about your own views than those you attempt to discredit with poor ad hominems

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 425 total)

The topic ‘Assange.’ is closed to new replies.