Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Asr5 or Salsa horsethief?
  • Kryton57

Let’s imagine I don’t have one if them, they are the same price and used for the same forest singletrack, trail centres and a bit of racing and a 24hr or two.

Which is best?

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I had a asr 5 and deeply regret selling it

faceplanter
    Free Member

Horsethief , can go 140mm at the front too.

Kryton57

50/50 so far then…

ricardo666
    Free Member

Love my yeti to bits.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Orange 5
    😉

pinetree
    Free Member

Had an ASR-5. Loved it, but sold it for more travel. Regretted it. Sold long travel bike. Bought another ASR-5 today.

100% recommended- an incredible bike!

brakes
    Free Member

Let’s imagine I have a Salsa Horsethief and a Yeti ASR5.
    I prefer the Yeti.

Kryton57

Do you Brakes? Why?

brakes
    Free Member

no, we’re imagining aren’t we?
    I have ridden an ASR5 and an ASR5C quite a bit and I think it’s an incredible bike.
    Better than my carbon Stumpy FSR and I love that too.

Kryton57

Ah. I thought maybe you’d ridden a Horsethief.

Nobby

Ah. I thought maybe you’d ridden a Horsethief.

Sounds very wrong :-/

Well you know how one rides (and how much better it was than all the others you tested) so the only way to answer your question is to find the other one to test.

jimmy

Aaah man, I love my ASR5 but feel compelled to get something else so it’s up for sale. Reading this, I want to keep it – great great bikes to ride, so much fun.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you dont have the balls for a salsa if you asking this question

ASR5 for you

Salas for men

Kryton57

That requires a bit of clarification dirtyrider, unless you iz trollin’…?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member
    you dont have the balls for a salsa if you asking this question

ASR5 for you

Salas for men

Fail.

khani
    Free Member

The new 100mm split pivot Spearfish is a better comparison to an ASR than a Horsethief IMO,
    The thiefs a bit of a lump compared to an ASR,
    The Spearfish is shorter travel than an ASR but the 29 wheels will roll better and it’ll be a similar weight,
    I went from a 130 five spot to a 100mm rockstar and can only tell the difference in travel on flat drops, which I don’t really do very much anyway…

Leku
    Free Member

Salads for men

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I own a Yeti ASR5C. Love it to bits. Superb bike. Fast, light, stiff, aggressive. Problem is I also own a Solaris and like the feel and benefits of big wheels. So I’m flirting with the idea of consolidating both bikes.

Problem is, reading this thread and the love for the ASR5, which is no longer available, and the regret in selling them makes me worried.

I may have to strip and sell parts and keep the frame in case it doesn’t work out :S

Gee76
    Free Member

Eurgh same boat here king of biscuits. Even accruing new bike bits but just not sure on the frame… And whether I’ll regret it! 😥

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

It’s better to have loved and lost than never loved at all!

Not sure where that BS came from 🙂

P20

The ASR5-C was the most fun and capable bike I’ve ridden, then I killed it 😥
    I did look at the horsethief, but it was the change over between the models so the new one wasn’t available. It does look a good frame, but my concerns were the availability of the correct fork and I’m still not convinced about press fit bb’s.
    I decided to stick with 26″ and bought a Liteville

I’m surprised they didn’t make an ASR5 in 29 format

bruceandlauren
    Free Member

I built up a Horsethief earlier this year and have used it at trail centres, the alps downhill and also raced it XC at the Gorrick 8-hr. So far it seems a great all round bike. Depending on tires fitted it can handle a wide range of riding and with 140mm fork on front is a real trail beast.

Orangejohn
    Free Member

I have the single pivot Horsethief, probably the best full susser I have ever owned. Used in the Alps with a 140 fork however for local Peaks and trail centres I prefer a 120 fork.
    A mate bought one on my recommend; he was so pleased he bought another, one with a big fork and big tyres one with a shorter fork and lighter tyres (he is a bit of a one off though).
    Neither of us have ridden the Yeti.

Kryton57

For the purpose of this thread it’s the old horse thief in a sale, which I am referring to.

However *drumroll, big reveal not* as i already have an ASR5 with a 120mm fork it seems based on the above that there is no point moving.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Asr5 or Salsa horsethief?’ is closed to new replies.