Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ask STW- replacing a crappy garage door
  • Northwind

We got our garage broken into, nothing taken as there’s a lot of interior security etc but it’s still bloody annoying… The garage door is basically just keeping the cats out, we don’t rely on it to stop theft but obviously if it was better it’d also prevent this sort of bullshit and having to nail stuff across a broken door at 4am in December.

So, who knows about doors and that? We know nothing. It’s a combined window-and-door L shaped deal, thus:

https://imgur.com/THd3VTQDoor do door door door

Brick to brick the door and frame is about 202×87 and the window is 108×63. That’s probably pretty standard since it’s a Wimpey house, I think the back door of the house is about the same. I’m thinking maybe bricking up the window and just getting a totally new security door and frame fitted might be the best option, it’d be a shame to lose the light but not that much…

(it has a standard, rubbish front garage door but it’s blocked internally, so the only point of access is the door. Or, like through the roof or something but that’s not really what we’re worrying about)

Drac

UPVC door and window should sort that.

scruff9252

That looks like my rear garage door (70’s wimpey house too).

Our window is bricked up with a upvc external door. All feels pretty secure to us.

timber

There’s a bloke near my boss that has bars inside his garage window. They are actually just bits of painted dowel.

Usually used pvc doors and windows kicking around on eBay/Faceboo/Gumtree.

Northwind

Cheers folks- wasn’t sure if a standard UPVC door would cut it (which is daft, considering that’s what we have in the house, but the garage is unoccupied so I guess that puts me on edge.

Like the idea of the “bars” 🙂

Drac

They pop suprisingly easily but very noisy though.

timba
    Free Member

Visible bars advertise that there’s something worth protecting, and they don’t add to “house-appeal” either. I’d still use bars, and an internal barred gate; the UPVC can then be cheap as you like and glazed top and bottom with obscuring glass for a bit more light

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A half glazed UPVC door and brick up the current window. Would make the door more secure having a proper bricked frame to be attached to and the half glazing would still allow light in and can be obscure glass so you can’t see clearly into it.

jimdubleyou

When we were having our new garage built, the builders were on about putting a steel plate over a upvc  door.

I wasn’t really happy with that, in the end found this lot on the net

Steel Security Doors

It’s pretty plain looking, but very secure.

I’d brick up the window.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ask STW- replacing a crappy garage door’ is closed to new replies.