Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 693 total)
  • Ashes 2013
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Bookies have Ozzies favourites for the first test? Surely not!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

plenty of rain around so I’d be wary of betting either way, also England have not really been tested yet.

Bear
    Free Member

They’ve not lost at Brisbane for 17 years, last time to a great WI side. Bookies going with history, tough place to play England not quite ready draw looking favourite though

Ed2001
    Free Member

They’ve not lost at Brisbane for 17 years, last time to a great WI side. Bookies going with history, tough place to play England not quite ready draw looking favourite though

True but the Aussies haven’t had such a shit side for long time either.I think an England win is possibly worth a punt and an England win at the Gabba would knock the stuffing out of them.Luv to see Shrek explaining that to the Aus media.

tiggs121
    Free Member

I reckon a draw is the most likely result if there is some time lost due to rain. No rain then an England win is the value bet.

England will win the series. Aussies are simply not good enough either with bat or ball.

MrSmith
    Free Member

England are always nervous in the first innings of the first test so a draw is likely. But it’s only a few months since they last met so could be a result.
    Still think England will win it 3-0

zokes
    Free Member

Still think England will win it 3-0

The law of averages states that MJ will have at least one of his moments in five tests, so in going with 3-1

Like broad, he’s unplayable on the odd occasion he is on song…

slackalice
    Free Member

I’ve just read an article by Simon Hughes who is suggesting that this will be Andy Flower’s last series as England coach.

Anyone aware of this speculation?

dantsw13

If it is rainy, it will nullify Swann, but help Anderson. Sadly, the Kookaburra ball doesn’t swing for long. Im going for a result either way.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think its going to be close one. England were lucky in the summer and the score didn’t reflect the play. Cook and Trott will have to score a lot more runs and the choice of the fourth bowler will be critical.

hammy7272
    Free Member

I like the look of England with Carberry at the top and Root down the order. A bit more aggression up top and I think Root will score heavily later on.

zokes
    Free Member

Hahahahahaha! by Mark-Farrell, on Flickr

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! 😆

yossarian
    Free Member

I think its going to be close one. England were lucky in the summer and the score didn’t reflect the play. Cook and Trott will have to score a lot more runs and the choice of the fourth bowler will be critical.

We weren’t lucky, we played a lot of average cricket and raised our game at key times. Australia on the other hand folded when it mattered.

zokes
    Free Member

“We’ve identified what we need to work on’

Well, in your case, David, how to hold a bat would be a start!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

England were lucky it rained in the third test as the Aussies had a great chance to win that match. If they had then I think England would have wobbled. If England were only average in the summer I’m not sure they are going to be better than that on pitches that are more suited to the Aussie bowlers. I want England to win but I think it will be a close one.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i love the rubbish the bogan media come out with do they really think it gets under the England teams skin? are they really that thick? only a few of the ex players seem to talk any sense. where do they get these moronic scribes from?

zokes
    Free Member

I was under the general impression that even sports journalism had to involve an element of truth. That’s just making things up!!!!

grum
    Free Member

Ian Chappel article recently was wondering why the Australian media are talking as if Australia had just won the last Ashes 3-0 instead of the other way round. And there’s Shane Warne of course. 🙄

England should win but closer than last time. Not sure I buy the ‘England were lucky’ line either. No they weren’t consistent but they stood up when it mattered every single time.

dantsw13

In the home series, Englands Top order didn’t fire, but they still won. This time, I back Cook, Carberry, Trot and Pietersen to score big. Add to that the runs from Root, Prior, Broad and Swann – I see a big Eng win!!

dannybgoode

They had Beefy on R4 about Flower’s possible retirement a couple of weeks back.

He said he hadn’t heard anything and that it was pure speculation and the man to make the decision and the announcement would be Flowers when he felt the time was right…

theotherjonv

England were lucky in the summer and the score didn’t reflect the play. Cook and Trott will have to score a lot more runs and the choice of the fourth bowler will be critical.

Conversely. Trott, Cook and Pietersen will all expect to score good runs, they are all quality players and won’t continue to fail time and again. We made 400 in the first dig only once in the smmer, talent and experience tells me that won’t be the case this time.

Can’t wait…..

ransos
    Free Member

We weren’t lucky, we played a lot of average cricket and raised our game at key times. Australia on the other hand folded when it mattered.

Precisley. Good sides find a way to win when they’re not playing well. As noted above, only Bell really fired in the summer: if Cook, Trott and Pietersen get going, Aus are in for a tough time.

zokes
    Free Member

No idea what they were on about here…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Trott, Cook etc won’t automatically score runs just because they didn’t in the summer. That’s a bit like when people talk about football teams being too good to go down.

theotherjonv

Not saying it’s automatic, I’m saying they will have analysed and corrected the faults that caused them to fail.

Cook has changed his technique slightly and will naturally play better on bouncier pitches where his back foot game comes to the fore. Trott just needs to calm down a bit. Pietersen is, well, Pietersen, and is one who you’d say is ‘due’ – which goes against what i said but when you’re as good as him, the phrase about exceptions and rules comes to mind.

Scamper
    Free Member

The Aussies really should spend a bit more time looking after their own garden. Lets be frank about this – their batting unit is pretty poor and as Sir Geoffrey would no doubt say, `my gran would love to bowl to that lot!’ 😀

For all this talk about them finishing the last series well, it was England who yet again stood up when it mattered with that run chase on the last day after Clarke thought it would be a great idea to provoke England.

zokes
    Free Member

The non-bogan Australian newspapers are far more boring….

Slightly less bogan headline! by Mark-Farrell, on Flickr

dannyh
    Free Member

No team in which Steve Smith can get a game in a test is going to trouble the current England set up.

Oh how the Aussies must be wishing the likes of Matthew Elliot, Jamie Cox, Stuart Law, Andy Bichel, Greg Blewett, Stuart MacGill, Darren Lehmann and many others hadn’t played in an era when they couldn’t get a game!

muggomagic

Getting a little excited now. Got the day off tomorrow so going to stay up and watch an hour or 2 then a few hours sleep before watching the end of the days play.

maxray
    Free Member

Not long now! Going to watch the first hour i think.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve just got back from Oz and was surprised how little mention the ashes got over there.
    Listening to the news the sports bit was a brief mention that the England team had arrived in Perth, a snippet about a Moto GP race at Phillip Island, some AFL stuff I didn’t undersatnd, and then hour upon hour of disussions about a racehorse which is pregnant. I knew the Aussies love the horse racing but though cricket would get more of a mention than that.

grum
    Free Member

I knew the Aussies love the horse racing but though cricket would get more of a mention than that.

If they’d been winning recently they’d have a lot more interest.

yossarian
    Free Member

Glad we are bowling first actually. Will the Aussies stand up and be counted? Lots of pressure on this batting lineup

scaredypants

Not heard any of the “experts” but that pitch looks well dry & tame to me – am I missing something ?

MrSmith
    Free Member

A good start 😆

scaredypants

scaredypants

oh I say !

more lively than it looks, that pitch

grum
    Free Member

Good that it was Broad too.

Here comes the walking LBW Shane Watson.

zokes
    Free Member

Broad again \o/

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye but I wont last much longer its 2 :10 am here
    Batting pitch this by the sounds

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 693 total)

The topic ‘Ashes 2013’ is closed to new replies.